Need help! Cerberus X vs tr4+dual-aio+4x3.5HDD

crik99

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 27, 2019
Hello there

I am planning to downsize my workstation from the beloved Meshify c to the Cerberus x, but there seem to be some hardware compatibility issues that I can't figure out.

Currently, I have an Enermax 360mm tr4 aio in my meshify c, but will have to downgrade to either a 280mm or 240mm rad (I might just cut off the hose and connect the pump to the new rad to save money); Also, I have a titan xp with a 120mm aio & nzxt bracket installed. Besides that, I would like to at least fit 2x3.5 hard drives and 1x2.5 ssd into the set up.

On top of the compatibility, I am also concerning about the performance degradation of my TR 1950x. will the 30mm 280 rad or 45mm 240 rad perform a lot worse than the 360?

To make it easier, I will list my parts below:

CPU: amd threadripper 1950x
COOLER: enermax tr4 360 (w/ refilled coolant)
MOBO: Asrock X399 Taichi
RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS V 16GBx4
GPU: titan xp w/ nzxt g12 & evga 120mm aio (3 slot total depth)
PSU: evga 1000 G3 (150mm length)
SSD: 2xNVME on the MOBO, 1x2.5
HDD: 4x3.5'' 8tb SEAGATE
FAN: 4xNoctua A12X25, 2xNoctua A14 (that is all I have available, not planning to buy more fans)

Picture of my current setup:
Purpose:
1. CPU properly cooled
2. dual-rads, 1x2.5ssd & 2x3.5'' hdd can all fit in the case.

I am new to the SFF world so your opinion will be worth a lot to me. Please help!

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Here's an example:
I would say get the 750W SFX SF750 from Corsair, and use the rear SFX mount plate so it is over the motherboard. This helps free up some space for the 120mm AIO vs ATX will be fighting you.

I would put the 120mm AIO in the top front where the SFX internal would usually mount or how your 360mm tubes are placed now.

Will be a small amount of space for the 3.5" HDD kit between the back of GPU and the front of case, below the 120mm AIO.

You could also use those 3.5" HDD brackets that mount where PCIe cards do, and would be similar to how you have the 1 HDD now.

2.5" SSD will mount to the case regardless of setup.

Anywhere you can put an intake fan or exhaust fan after that is a good idea. Also getting both sides vented helps temperatures a little bit.

It's also possible to put the 280mm AIO in the front, and the 120mm in the bottom with another fan, then put the HDD on the PCIe card tabs.

crik99

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 27, 2019
Here's an example:
I would say get the 750W SFX SF750 from Corsair, and use the rear SFX mount plate so it is over the motherboard. This helps free up some space for the 120mm AIO vs ATX will be fighting you.

I would put the 120mm AIO in the top front where the SFX internal would usually mount or how your 360mm tubes are placed now.

Will be a small amount of space for the 3.5" HDD kit between the back of GPU and the front of case, below the 120mm AIO.

You could also use those 3.5" HDD brackets that mount where PCIe cards do, and would be similar to how you have the 1 HDD now.

2.5" SSD will mount to the case regardless of setup.

Anywhere you can put an intake fan or exhaust fan after that is a good idea. Also getting both sides vented helps temperatures a little bit.

It's also possible to put the 280mm AIO in the front, and the 120mm in the bottom with another fan, then put the HDD on the PCIe card tabs.
Thanks a lot for your input! I have several questions regarding your comment:

1. does a 280mm placed at the front of the case interfere with the 2.5ssd case mounting space?
2. how tall is the 3.5 hdd kit? or, how tall is the set of two HDD stacked when using the kit?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
1. No

2. 1.6inch tall, plus thickness of the hard drive on top.