Help with Ryzen 5 2400G Build, Delid and Liquid metal.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Hi all,

So I want to build a small rig for my girlfriend as a suprice.

She curently has a mid tower from cooler master with a super slow HDD, a slow AMD phenom II quadcore with stock cooler and a Sapphire 6700HD which is all about 7- 8 years old.

She does some light gaming (Sims, WoW, online flash games etc).

Now I saw that the new raven ridge APU, the 2400G in this case is about a 118% better and faster in both CPU and GPU as her current pc.

I want to combine this with a Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AMD. The cooler is about 3cm heigher then the L9A but should cool better, and will be able to turn it so its doesn't blow against the RAM.

The Case I got my eye on is the Realan E-W80, without the power supply, since I want to do a HDplex 160w DC-ATX + 160w
AC-DC combination. Since the case has air flow openings on the sides I was planning to use the Gigabyte AB350N ITX board, because the DC-ATX would then be placed near the openings for better cooling. I might also modify the top for extra airflow for the APU.

But if the all doesn't work out and all the moding isn't working I will redesign it in 3D and let it be milled out of aluminium.

But now you guys know the back story and the idea, and now the real part of this topic comes to play, which is Delitting the APU and use liquid metal.

I never done it but have seen many tutorials and was planning on using Der8auers methode with his delid mate 2 and acrylic addon.

Also I saw in Linus hes vids about liquid metal (when he applied it to a Laptop CPU and GPU) he used Conformal Coating and Electric Tape. But since Electric Tape melts under high temps, I thought Kapton Tape would be better.

But would these precautions also work on Desktop APU, CPU or GPU in general?

Let me know what you guys think :)

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Cool, but it doesn't cover the precautions that I want to know :)

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
Laptop CPU's are bare die while desktop have an IHS so aside from the conformal coating you're not even going to have room to place that stuff on the chip or even mount it properly unless you have a bare die adapter which I don't believe exists for these APU's.

Honestly I'd run it stock and see if you even need to bother delidding because you're already working with a better cooler than many builds here can fit.

If you're adamant about doing it I've never done any sort of coating/precautions myself and have been fine for years on desktop chips.

Reactions: cmyk78

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
You just need to cover the various surface mount components around the die with something like nail varnish. Also, don't glue the IHS back onto the CPU, just it it back in the socket and let the mounting pressure from the cooler do its work.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Cool, but it doesn't cover the precautions that I want to know :)
The linked article and two-part video goes over all you need to know.
Laptop CPU's are bare die while desktop have an IHS so aside from the conformal coating you're not even going to have room to place that stuff on the chip or even mount it properly unless you have a bare die adapter which I don't believe exists for these APU's.
The desktop 'Raven Ridge' APUs have an IHS.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
The desktop 'Raven Ridge' APUs have an IHS.

I did say desktop, that was my point :confused: OP was using a laptop liquid metal video to base his precautions on but he won't be able to fit tape properly with an IHS.

nanohead

What's an ITX?
Mar 10, 2018
I have the 2400G with the Noctua L9A. Cools fine, never more than 40C running at 700-800 RPM. Totally silent, currently in a Silverstone ML05B I also have the HDPlex 160, but stopped using the 190W PS because of the ridiculous heat it generates, switched to an external brick and much cooler now. Using the Asrock B350ITX and moving the whole thing into an Antec ISK110 today. The whole "delidding" thing seems a complete waste of effort and time. The APU is already low wattage and runs super cool.

Reactions: rcodi

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Why on earth delid it????? it has potential enough, and it is known to have about the highest quality TIM you can get. Waste of time an a risk not needed...
Oh, and to mod that case top for better airflow without butchery, just use stand-offs in the lid screw points, male-female, then screw lid on as normal with air gap determined by what size standoffs used.Standoff threads are 6/32 not M3
That is a mod I have done to my Realan-EW80, ASRock x370, 2400G wraith cooler ( should fit at 57mm in 80mm high case,) Samsung 960 Nvme 256GB boot, vented bottom panel should be cooling enough.. Firecuda hybrid 1TB data, 16GB (2x8) Crucial sport LT 2400, which I prefer on these boards because I get an easy 2933 clock with them, using G-Uniique Archdaemon unlimited 300watt, win 10pro 64 1709.
This case makes a tidy package and is a heatsink at 3.5mm solid all round

Last edited:

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
I have the 2400G with the Noctua L9A. Cools fine, never more than 40C running at 700-800 RPM. Totally silent, currently in a Silverstone ML05B I also have the HDPlex 160, but stopped using the 190W PS because of the ridiculous heat it generates, switched to an external brick and much cooler now. Using the Asrock B350ITX and moving the whole thing into an Antec ISK110 today. The whole "delidding" thing seems a complete waste of effort and time. The APU is already low wattage and runs super cool.

@nanohead Which one runned hot? The AC-DC 160W or the DC-ATX 160W?

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Thinking about your build and that case and your concerns over cooling.
I felt that the drive carrier tray that sits beneath the lid would hamper airflow so I removed that, along with the stock power board.
I now use a G-Unique power solution and the space where the power board was easily carries 2 x SSD on their edge, plus another using the vented side fan carrier bracket. result is good airflow and no heat from any power source.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Delidding a 2400G is a total waste of time if you don't plan to overclock it. In the case you plan to, that cooler's not gonna work anyway.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
If you're overclocking it, it will consume more power thus releasing more heat. That noctua is only rated for 65W, so you're likely trying to dissipate more than it can handle.

You're thinking about the L9a. @BryceK said he wants to use L9x-65 in his original post, which is rated for 95W.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Ah I see it now. My bad.

But still, delidding shouldn't need to be done on this APU. Only on extreme cases.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Ah I see it now. My bad.

But still, delidding shouldn't need to be done on this APU. Only on extreme cases.

I don't think people delid out of need, more so out of just wanting to. You should go over the results in the Gamers Nexus article posted higher up in the thread.

Research.

Do you have any sources for that claim? I'm no expert in delidding, but I've never read of anyone having that issue. Seems like they'd have to have done something very wrong to not have the cooler mount properly.