Guide Help with Photoshop

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm writing this thread for my mom, due to I am personally limited in terms of my knowledge when it comes to this specific software and how it relates to different specifications.

The current PC she has is the following:

Intel i7 2600K
16GB 3200MHz
MSI GTX 980 Ti
240GB SSD

I don't know the exact specifics of each component, like I know my own rig, but that should give you all an idea of the hardware she is running.

Now to the issue at hand, she uses Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended, which I also use, since it's basically all we need and we own the license. Hence we don't have any subsciption on the software, which the lastest version requires.

It has started to lagg/stugger a lot when doing projects, for some reason. Having "Bridge" open, which I have noticed on my own rig, makes Photoshop even slower in terms of responsiveness etc.

Would an reinstall of the software itself be an potential solution to the issue at hand? Or would anyone say that the hardware might be showing signs of it's age?...

I have been wondering regarding if AMD's new APUs, such as the 5600G, would be better suited for her needs, seeing as she wants a smaller machine overall. Also seeing as that 980 Ti is way overkill for her needs, as all she does is simply Photoshop and light web browsing (uploading her work to different sites etc). Hence thinking that an APU would be rather perfect for her needs, paired with an M.2 NVMe drive.

Again, this isn't my strong side at all and hence turning to this amazing community that we have. Especially considering she wants something small and what better community is there than this, which is specifically for SFF builds.

What do you all say? Do you have any thoughts, tips, recommendations etc on what to look at etc? Is the hardware showing it's age? Would an AMD APU be something to considering, especially in regards to get her machine down in size?.

Thank you all,
Dawelio

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm writing this thread for my mom, due to I am personally limited in terms of my knowledge when it comes to this specific software and how it relates to different specifications.

The current PC she has is the following:

Intel i7 2600K
16GB 3200MHz
MSI GTX 980 Ti
240GB SSD

I don't know the exact specifics of each component, like I know my own rig, but that should give you all an idea of the hardware she is running.

Now to the issue at hand, she uses Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended, which I also use, since it's basically all we need and we own the license. Hence we don't have any subsciption on the software, which the lastest version requires.

It has started to lagg/stugger a lot when doing projects, for some reason. Having "Bridge" open, which I have noticed on my own rig, makes Photoshop even slower in terms of responsiveness etc.

Would an reinstall of the software itself be an potential solution to the issue at hand? Or would anyone say that the hardware might be showing signs of it's age?...

I have been wondering regarding if AMD's new APUs, such as the 5600G, would be better suited for her needs, seeing as she wants a smaller machine overall. Also seeing as that 980 Ti is way overkill for her needs, as all she does is simply Photoshop and light web browsing (uploading her work to different sites etc). Hence thinking that an APU would be rather perfect for her needs, paired with an M.2 NVMe drive.

Again, this isn't my strong side at all and hence turning to this amazing community that we have. Especially considering she wants something small and what better community is there than this, which is specifically for SFF builds.

What do you all say? Do you have any thoughts, tips, recommendations etc on what to look at etc? Is the hardware showing it's age? Would an AMD APU be something to considering, especially in regards to get her machine down in size?.

Thank you all,
Dawelio

I use old hardware as well: i5 Haswell + 8 GB DDR3. CS5. So far I never experienced such lag/stutter.

Some questions:
- How big are the files your mom is working with?
- What did she do when the lag/stutter occurs? Applying some filter to the layers, or?
- At that time, does the lag/stutter happen only to photoshop, or on other apps (or Windows) as well?
- Any other apps running at the same time, including antivirus? Try running the photoshop alone. Does it help?
- Ever tried running in safe mode?