Power Supply [SFFn] HDPlex 400w HiFi DC-ATX - The Next Generation

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
Does the hdplex 400w share the same pin layout as a corsair sf450? If they were then cables for the sf450 would be compatible with the 400w right?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Because its not us/eu compliant. It would be irresponsible to promote some untested electrical devices.
Gury would have to get certificates made bur they cost a lot

Riiight.... So modding a legal power supply is much less risky then?

Instead of going with those loud PSUs, why not do it like MSI and Acer and use dual external PSUs then and combine with something like this?

Sure, it is not that portable with dual PSUs, but first and foremost, you can use 2 smaller PSUs like these (as target is 400W):

And you can just tuck those away and hide them behind a shelf or something. Besides, it is not like those PSUs in Josh's video are that small to begin with. But sure, for portability, one PSU is preferred, no denying that. But that noise, and risk that comes with it (when modding it).... Not worth it imo. But that is just me I guess...

Reactions: Soul_Est

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
'Mod' as in change the fan and change the connector, add housing. Gury's mod is changing the components inside the circuitry itself. That's pretty different.

Regarding dual brick, @Kmpkt is working with hdplex to do it, check his dynamo thread. If they're anouncing something on 18th then it is probably one of em too.

Deluxe2010

Case Bender
Dec 12, 2017
Hello everybody :-) i want to ask you people for a little help, i have ordered a HDPLEX DCATX400W 20 days ago. Exact date is 22/11/12 , my order still not processed, i received a mail from larry at 4 dec where he writes that he will ship my order around dec 12th. Today is 12 dec and i can see the order still not processed and i get no any answers from larry, Is this normal ?

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Hello everybody :-) i want to ask you people for a little help, i have ordered a HDPLEX DCATX400W 20 days ago. Exact date is 22/11/12 , my order still not processed, i received a mail from larry at 4 dec where he writes that he will ship my order around dec 12th. Today is 12 dec and i can see the order still not processed and i get no any answers from larry, Is this normal ?
Just FYI, you may be in different time zone than him. It is maybe not 12th December at his time yet.

witu

Chassis Packer
Dec 13, 2017
I just finished a build with the HDPLEX 400 - very cool piece of hardware. Unfortunately, I'm having a problem and hoping someone can provide some pointers.

Everything runs fine until I start a benchmark (Heaven 4.0) or a game, even at medium/low settings. Then it immediately powers off - no blue screen or error message, just straight to reboot. I'm not overclocking anything and would think the power should be okay based on other tests I've seen with the HDPLEX and Dell 330W brick.

My specs are:
Windows 10 64bit
ASUS Strix z270i motherboard
Intel 7700
GTX 1080
16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM at 2133 mhz
Samsung 960 pro 1TB m.2 SSD
HDPLEX 400
Dell 330w power supply

Again, everything is at stock settings. It runs fine until I run a benchmark or game, then it reboots. I've updated all drivers and bios, but no luck.

Has anyone experienced this with a similar setup, or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Again, everything is at stock settings. It runs fine until I run a benchmark or game, then it reboots. I've updated all drivers and bios, but no luck.

isnt it drawing too much power? the cpu could be turbo bosting as well. maybe try disable turbo bost and run benchmark again?
acording to outervision calculator it might be pulling 350w or more with cpu at 4.2ghz.

witu

Chassis Packer
Dec 13, 2017
isnt it drawing too much power? the cpu could be turbo bosting as well. maybe try disable turbo bost and run benchmark again?
acording to outervision calculator it might be pulling 350w or more with cpu at 4.2ghz.

Thanks for the response. The symptoms do point to a power shortage, but I had thought the 7700K at 4.2ghz + GTX 1080 was benchmarked at around 270w under full load. Here's the review from Josh at NFC with the same setup running at ~240w.

I must be confused, or maybe it's the turbo throwing things off. I'll troubleshoot some more and post what I find.

Reactions: owliwar

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
paging @Josh | NFC

Did you have to perform any voodoo when you benched this config?

witu

Chassis Packer
Dec 13, 2017
I was able to stop the crashing by turning off Turbo boost (now running at max 3.6Ghz) and lowering the GPU clock speeds to their lowest settings. As soon as I start bumping up the GPU clocks, it crashes immediately during Heaven 4.0. Temps never get over 50C for the CPU and 65C for the GPU...

So it definitely seems to be a power issue, but I'm a little surprised - the fact that I can't raise the GPU clock above about 1220 MHz must mean the stock settings are significantly over the capacity of the HDPLEX 400 + Dell 300w combo. It's not clear which of those is the limiting factor, but I would assume it's the Dell brick. I'll try to test if one of those components is bad, but it will have to wait until I get a new power meter.

In the meantime, I'll probably rebuild with a GTX 1070 I have on hand and see if that's any different - hoping the slightly lower draw might work.

Any other ideas?

Julio Espinosa

Caliper Novice
Jul 17, 2017
I've read that the i7-8700 draws the same wattage and has almost the same performance as the i7-7700k.
I don't know if it is true.
Is your brick a Dell 300w or 330w?
I've seen a lot of Chinese fake bricks, they seem the same, but are not.
Do you have a way to test it?

That's my main issue when planning what to use to power my future pc.

Reactions: witu

witu

Chassis Packer
Dec 13, 2017
I've read that the i7-8700 draws the same wattage and has almost the same performance as the i7-7700k.
I don't know if it is true.
Is your brick a Dell 300w or 330w?
I've seen a lot of Chinese fake bricks, they seem the same, but are not.
Do you have a way to test it?

That's my main issue when planning what to use to power my future pc.

Thanks, it's a 330w brick purchased on Amazon and seems legit, but who knows. I'm picking up a power meter today or tomorrow and will test the total draw.

I've also now tested it with a MSI 1070 mini - It makes it through the Heaven benchmark, but still crashes during games at high settings...

witu

Chassis Packer
Dec 13, 2017
Seems I might have a bad Dell 330w power supply. The bad one seemed to crash at around ~240w load. I swapped that brick out for an identical one (also from Amazon) and it seems to be more stable, at least up to a modest overclock. Unfortunately, I had already swapped out the GTX 1080 for a 1070, so I can't test much beyond 250w without rebuilding the system yet again.

Just for others' interest, I'm running the 7700 at stock 3. 6 GHz (boost to 4.2 GHz) and the GTX 1070 overclocked to 1581 MHz. The whole system draws about 40w at idle and ~240w max in Heaven and games running at 1440p ultra settings. Temps were max 80 C on the CPU and 76 C on the GPU. Runs very quiet at those settings with the MSI GTX 1070 mini.

I don't trust the Dell bricks I bought on Amazon anymore. I plan to return them and buy a new one directly from Dell. In the meantime I'll probably run some more tests and maybe go back to the 1080 since it seems like 330w should cover it. I lost count of how many times I've rebuilt the system at this point... :)

Thanks again for the feedback.

Julio Espinosa

Caliper Novice
Jul 17, 2017
Seems I might have a bad Dell 330w power supply. The bad one seemed to crash at around ~240w load. I swapped that brick out for an identical one (also from Amazon) and it seems to be more stable, at least up to a modest overclock. Unfortunately, I had already swapped out the GTX 1080 for a 1070, so I can't test much beyond 250w without rebuilding the system yet again.

Just for others' interest, I'm running the 7700 at stock 3. 6 GHz (boost to 4.2 GHz) and the GTX 1070 overclocked to 1581 MHz. The whole system draws about 40w at idle and ~240w max in Heaven and games running at 1440p ultra settings. Temps were max 80 C on the CPU and 76 C on the GPU. Runs very quiet at those settings with the MSI GTX 1070 mini.

I don't trust the Dell bricks I bought on Amazon anymore. I plan to return them and buy a new one directly from Dell. In the meantime I'll probably run some more tests and maybe go back to the 1080 since it seems like 330w should cover it. I lost count of how many times I've rebuilt the system at this point... :)

Thanks again for the feedback.
I thought you had an 8700, but it's great you have work it out!

Keep posting your results! Let us know how the 1080 works

Signa

Efficiency Noob
Oct 8, 2017
The "DC input socket" included was mentioned in the article, but is this directly compatible with e.g. Dell 330W brick? Someone is selling 400W hdplex with 330W Dell here, but takes his time answering PMs. I wouldnt want to solder any wires unless thats really necessary.

And could the 330W brick be enough for R7-1700+1080Ti if I undervolted the GPU? Getting a separate more powerful brick would be too expensive and/or hard ... and then I would just go SF600 which I have already bought.

witu

Chassis Packer
Dec 13, 2017
The "DC input socket" included was mentioned in the article, but is this directly compatible with e.g. Dell 330W brick? Someone is selling 400W hdplex with 330W Dell here, but takes his time answering PMs. I wouldnt want to solder any wires unless thats really necessary.

And could the 330W brick be enough for R7-1700+1080Ti if I undervolted the GPU? Getting a separate more powerful brick would be too expensive and/or hard ... and then I would just go SF600 which I have already bought.

The HDPLEX 400w DC jack is directly compatible with the Dell 330W brick. However, I can't speak to whether it could power that combo. I think the 1080Ti pulls almost 300w so you could be pretty close to the limit. Not sure how much undervolting would reduce the total draw...

Good luck!