Cooling SFFn CPU Cooler Shoot-Out

billabong2606

Caliper Novice
Jul 25, 2020
Smh, I don't mean to spam but I accidentally submitted my previous reply, and realized that I still can't edit my posts since I'm a new member. I wanted to ask whether or not you've tested out the Be Quiet Shadow Rock LP before, because I didn't see them in this graph you posted. Are you planning to test them out? According to this, the cooler seemed on par with the L12s whilst being cheaper. My only concern with this cooler is that I'm not sure the fan can only mounted in one way.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Thank you so much for doing these! You're literally a godsend! This may sound selfish of me, but is it possible for you to re-test the IS-60 with the fans blowing up (away from the motherboard)? Also, do you reckon that using a thicker fan (25mm) would yield a better result or is the improvement not that significant for both the IS-60 and the L12S?

Once again, thank you so much for doing what you do. I'm looking forward to your review of the latest ID-Cooling IS-47K. Are you planning to test that out with the Noctua backplate? Because I saw from this thread that it helps to bring down temps by a lot compared to using the stock backplate.

I also have tested the IS-60 and L12s with the A12x25 fan, here it is added on the list below:

IS-60 (stock fan, blowing down) - 1520 rpm @ 60.7C delta
IS-60 (A12x15, blowing down) - 1717 rpm @ 59.5C delta
IS-60 (A12x25, blowing down) - 2027 rpm @ 56.7C delta
L12S (stock fan, below cooler blowing up) - 1839 rpm @ 52.3C delta
L12S (stock fan, below cooler blowing down) - 1785 rpm @ 54.3C delta
L12S (stock fan, above cooler blowing down) - 1781 rpm @ 53.3C delta
L12S (A12x25, above cooler blowing down) - 2045 rpm @ 53.4C delta

I can test it with the fan blowing up as well (give me a little bit of time to do that). I am only testing this new set on an Intel, so the Noctua backplate wouldnt be applicable here (I'm assuming you mean the AM4 one included with the L9a). When I do the review I can test both the IS-47k and Black Ridge on my AMD system as well to compare.

Smh, I don't mean to spam but I accidentally submitted my previous reply, and realized that I still can't edit my posts since I'm a new member. I wanted to ask whether or not you've tested out the Be Quiet Shadow Rock LP before, because I didn't see them in this graph you posted. Are you planning to test them out? According to this, the cooler seemed on par with the L12s whilst being cheaper. My only concern with this cooler is that I'm not sure the fan can only mounted in one way.

I haven't yet. I'll be putting it in a Part 2 of the 120mm low profile coolers but that wont be for at least a month or so.

Reactions: billabong2606

billabong2606

Caliper Novice
Jul 25, 2020
@IntoxicatedPuma thanks for the results! It's a bit weird that for the IS-60, using a thicker cooler improves the result but worsens on the L12s. Maybe the latter is designed to perform better when the fan is below the cooler blowing up?

Anyway, I will probably go ahead and buy the L12S since at this point, most tests have proven it to be superior. Now to find that sweet, killer deal. Wish me luck!

Reactions: IntoxicatedPuma