Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
@rubicoin you did the switch earlier than me then :D

i hope you keep a300 as well, just like me. simply could not sell it, i'm attached to it so much :)

got this 2400g for €115, my last investment into this deskmini platform i guess. i'm sure it will continue to serve us great in the coming years.

what switch will you end up with btw?

Last edited:

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
i hope you keep a300 as well, just like me. simply could not sell it, i'm attached to it so much :)

got this 2400g for €115, my last investment into this deskmini platform i guess. i'm sure it will continue to serve us great in the coming years.

what switch will you end up with btw?

Gonna keep the a300 as well. The 2400G will go back in, 3.60R and slight "o/c" @3200 (like before) - I'm now on 3.60S btw. But because of 4650G I have no random freezes anymore. That's why I think A300 will become a Linux/VM platform in terms of 2400G.

The Mainboard for the switch - at least at the moment of thinking, like half a year ago was MSI B550 Mortar (no wifi)
It has all the GFX - ports I need, extensibility, etc.

After all, I checked my "wishlist" - it's like 50-100€ more expensive now than at the time point of creation. No dedicated GPU. I do not support this price- policies/-strategy. I mean, must know me by now 😂

It basically went from ~450euro up to like 550 :/

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
Gonna keep the a300 as well. The 2400G will go back in, 3.60R and slight "o/c" @3200 (like before) - I'm now on 3.60S btw. But because of 4650G I have no random freezes anymore. That's why I think A300 will become a Linux/VM platform in terms of 2400G.

The Mainboard for the switch - at least at the moment of thinking, like half a year ago was MSI B550 Mortar (no wifi)
It has all the GFX - ports I need, extensibility, etc.

After all, I checked my "wishlist" - it's like 50-100€ more expensive now than at the time point of creation. No dedicated GPU. I do not support this price- policies/-strategy. I mean, must know me by now 😂

It basically went from ~450euro up to like 550 :/

3200 mhz with 2400g is nice in a300, even for gaming these days..

off: every new hardware gets more expensive day by day, that's why i've chosen some used parts for the switch to itx: my 2400g, case and mobo were all very good deals. i guess a lot of pc builds are abadoned in the current vga/cpu situation, maybe it's time to buy some older parts (like b450 with ryzen 5000 support), and try to source ram/ssd parts asap until prices skyrocket again.

back to the topic, possibly my last a300 mod:

it's a diy wifi solution utilizing a leftover intel 8260ngw m.2 module and a pair of 2.4ghz antenna from my old wrt-54gl router. i've just ordered 2x 6dBi Dual Band WiFi RP-SMA Antenna + 35cm U.fl IPEX Cable N8S5 from china for the 2nd time, and waiting for that to arrive (first order got lost last year without refund, great times regarding shipping as well). guess it will do the job temporarly, tested it on 2.4 ghz network and works flawlessly, 40+ mbit effective up/down speeds with full signal strength. not bad for free! attaching antennas with bluestick is my favourite touch here :)

• Haha
Reactions: ratundtat

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
You could also use the holes on the back ;)

thanks for the tip :p

already removed the metal parts for the holes on the chassis and will use the new antenna kit as intended once it arrives. but my wrt-54gl antennas are way thicker and i don't have any matching adapters/threads/nuts to mount them there. if you look at the picture closely, you can see that i've just "soldered" the wires to the main/shielding terminals of the antenna connector.

Reactions: ratundtat

go.d-bq

Efficiency Noob
Apr 23, 2021
Hi guys! My attempt to make something interesting based on DeskMini A300: Ultra-compact office PC with AMD Ryzen 5 3400G volume 0.87L, DRAM 3533 MHz and timings "16-22-16 36-T1"
  • Case: my 3D Model
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
  • Cooler: ID-Cooling IS-30 + Akasa Slimfan AK-FN076
  • Mobo: ASRock A300M-STX
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX Impact 3200 MHz 16Gb
  • SSD: Goodram PX500 1TB
  • PSU: built-in converter MB + ACBel ADC027 (19V/120W)

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
Hi guys! My attempt to make something interesting based on DeskMini A300: Ultra-compact office PC with AMD Ryzen 5 3400G volume 0.87L, DRAM 3533 MHz and timings "16-22-16 36-T1"

wow, easily the most unique mod here, congrats! love the short wifi antennas :)

what about cooling capacity and temps? rpm and noise?

density disruptor

Chassis Packer
Jun 8, 2018

Nice Build. Love it. This is a true SFF build. Nice 3d printed design also.

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
Have any of you seen or ordered Asrock deskmini usb hub from a website or online store in Europe or who ship to Europe because you only found it on Taiwanese, Korean and Japanese sites?
Asrock deskmini usb hub
Unfortunately, some time ago I looked everywhere and also in online stores outside my country, and I could not find this "Asrock deskmini usb hub" at any place, but I finally have two possible and above all functional alternatives on AliExpress:

one which is also magnetic:

and this one which is simpler and less bulky but non-magnetic:

There you go, if that can help you ;-)

go.d-bq

Efficiency Noob
Apr 23, 2021
wow, easily the most unique mod here, congrats! love the short wifi antennas :)

what about cooling capacity and temps? rpm and noise?
Ow, thanks! I use ID-Cooling IS-30 with slim fan Akasa 80 mm.
T = 65*C, RPM = 1000-2200 and Noise is quiet )

I'm pleasantly surprised. I use a base plate from Noctua, and at first the temperature was 88*C, after assembly it turned out 65*C. Noise - low and below average) Everything was ruined by the paint, so the case looks so thick. I'll redo it later)

Reactions: rubicoin

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
my system temperature is 53,4°C idling on GUI with open browser, thunderbird, steam
primary cooler:

Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 Topblow​

secondary mounted/drilled on the x300 case with low setting in UEFI (just for transport lil bit air). mounted cauzed there are two cooler-connectors on board and i just it used. effective? i do not know... i just feel that the metal on case (over CPU) is more cooler now.

Noctua NF-A8 PWM 80x80x25mm 2200 U/min 17.7 dB​

for dust-protection, I am using a long thin women sock <-- dont know it in english. pulled over the whole case, with holes for the connectors usb/power/lan.​

Most time I listen nothing. In-Game, I hear it a bit, but with game sound than not :p

(do not try cheap additional cooler... take pwm 4pin, UEFI+pwmAdapter do not works pretty for noise killing/reducing rpms)​

If your cooler will dirty and loud. you can clean it (better temperature), but the noise will never going back quiet.​

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017

This looks awesome, do you have pictures of the internals? Would you consider sharing the STL file for others who want to replicate this build?

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
For comparison of hs/f for A300, it has been discussed before.....

The language is in Cantonese, but you can set the subtitle to English.

for dust-protection, I am using a long thin women sock <-- dont know it in english. pulled over the whole case, with holes for the connectors usb/power/lan.

Stocking?

Reactions: D3NPA

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Does anyone heard of Cezanne APU (maybe ebay ES version) running in A300/X300? Failed to find a single word about it :(
Check LTT I believe - they speak shortly about it. Again OEM - availability :/ If I find the post/youtube, IÄll provide it. Nothing more. May correct me of couse :)

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
yeah, it's white bluestick.

2.4 ghz only? cable seems too short as well (25 cm is the minimum for a300). i'd cancel order if still possible!
my first order was this from aliexpress, and my second one is the same from ebay. hope it will ship this time :p

update on 3rd party wifi + antenna: ebay order arrived, but female connector for the wiring did not match the male connector on my m.2 (smaller size used on the module!). had to cut off the connectors from the new wiring and solder original cable with original connectors to it (salvaged from the same broken laptop as the m.2 wifi card). after this fix all ok, 150 mbit ac speeds measured. antennas were mounted properly this time, cutouts on deskmini chassis had to be widened a bit to fit the threaded metal parts though.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer