Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

fadsarmy

Caliper Novice
Oct 24, 2017
There is an M.2 ssd slot under the H470 motherboard that says reserved for future processors. Anyone know what CPUs that would be referring too?

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
3.702020/11/117.89MBInstant Flash
1. Optimize M.2 SSD compatibility
2. Follow AMD guide to support shared memory adjustment when Hyper-V is enabled​

Hammerfest

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
I would almost bet its still v1

Now, the question is did they finally get around to 1.0.0.6 or is it still 1.0.0.4 or lower...

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
The X300 has the same power brick as the A300 and is essentially the same motherboard. ETA prime recently ran the 4750G on the X300 and measured a peak power draw of 138W, so the 120W brick really isn't enough. You can always get a better power brick and an adapter for the A300 barrel plug size (such as the Delta 330W brick), or talk to @REVOCCASES to hook you up with a custom 12V brick. Although not advertised, the Deskmini works fine at 12V input.

Another issue with the 4750G on the A300 is in some configuration the memory doesn't run faster than 2933, though I haven't gotten a good understanding of it. There's some talk of it being due to the adrenaline drivers but I don't know for sure.
So, 4650G is more trouble free than.

Thanks.

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
I just installed UEFI firmware now. I do know nothing. Why no changelog on asrock website? I seen no difference. I can only say: installation complete and my A300 is booting! \o/
If UEFI will hardcore-crashing with Crucial P1 NVME + Linux Mint? I do not will testing it.

rubicoin: gimme 2 infos: how much is the adapter and how much the egpu graphic card device? :-O (+power supply)

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
I just installed UEFI firmware now. I do know nothing. Why no changelog on asrock website? I seen no difference. I can only say: installation complete and my A300 is booting! \o/
If UEFI will hardcore-crashing with Crucial P1 NVME + Linux Mint? I do not will testing it.

rubicoin: gimme 2 infos: how much is the adapter and how much the egpu graphic card device? :-O (+power supply)

you can check agesa version in bios (advanced\amd firmware version menu).

adt-link m.2 to pcie 50cm for ~$53 shipped & price of psu+vga is up to your needs but i went for used dell psu brick+5500xt.

Reactions: ratundtat

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
ASRock Deskmini A300 + ADT-Link R43SG M.2 to PCIE adapter + SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 5500 XT 4GB eGPU build - Part 1

Time has finally come! See the main steps of my long-awaited A300 eGPU build below ?

M.2 adapter arrived (dusty little Deskmini waiting for a minor surgery):

Cable has to go through here (what and where to cut? :\):

Not much clearance when assembled but should be enough (fortunately cut-out only needed for the ribbon cable, not the adapter part):

I/O shield cut (lower right edge completely removed):

(Note: Bending metal failed :( Very thin material, broke off at last phase while grinding edges. I guess it simply does not worth the effort, still leaves sharp edges on the sides that can damage the ribbon cable.)

Adapter easily connected to rear M.2 slot (clever & flat solution from ADT-Link, fits perfectly under the motherboard):

OK, not so fast! :p

Problems:

(Note: Cable has no flex to the sides at all, so it does not align with the new hole on my i/o shield. My bad, always measure twice before cutting ;) More dremeling needed. Also cable has to be protected against that metal VGA port mounting teeth thing. 4 layers of duct tape solves this though)

I/O shield cut-out is ok now (with tiny DIY plastic cosmetic & protecting plate glued to the metal), GPU succesfully connected:

All set! The eGPU is hidden behind my desk with all the power bricks, cables etc. (placed on a matching DIY shelf):

Closer look (with the Dell PSU brick attached):

And that's it! Hardware setup is no big deal if you know what to cut and how much to cut... and now you do :p

(To Be Continued... - Part 2 coming in a separate post with GPU operation/testing - Spoiler: It works!)

Last edited:

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
P3.70 Firmware
Agesa Combo AM4 1.0.0.1
PSP 0.8.0.60

Some tipps for optimal UEFI settings? I just did set graphic memory to 8GB and load XMP for RAM (32GB). I am using Arch Linux for home office and play sometimes a lil bit Starcraft 2 :}

Reactions: rubicoin

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020

Agesa Combo 1.00001 ? sounds not like v2?

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
P3.70 Firmware
Agesa Combo AM4 1.0.0.1
PSP 0.8.0.60

Some tipps for optimal UEFI settings? I just did set graphic memory to 8GB and load XMP for RAM (32GB). I am using Arch Linux for home office and play sometimes a lil bit Starcraft 2 :}
with which cpu do you use it ? that bios is an joke of asrock its older then the 3.60k

Reactions: gustav

Hammerfest

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
I am using AMD 3400G
Yes, i wondered too - just Agesa v1
Firmware: 3.60k (Beta) AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B
now i have to downgrade back to 3.60k, because i have lil bit micro-drops in StarCraft2! :-(

Yep, open a ticket with ASRock and request they update AGESA and associated modules to latest for the AGESA v1 tree
I have MAJOR issues with 3400G and AGESA 1.0.0.1, they will NOT listen without ticket spam (legit tickets of course)

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
I am using AMD 3400G
Yes, i wondered too - just Agesa v1
Firmware: 3.60k (Beta) AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B
now i have to downgrade back to 3.60k, because i have lil bit micro-drops in StarCraft2! :-(
3,60k is the newer bios. Its a real joke what AsRock Makes there . Im use the X300 1.40 bios. with 2400g stable, with 3400g stable to . But you have set the rigth voltage at different ram speeds but it works fine

ikuzmanov

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 12, 2020
Hi folks,
I'm sorry if this was already discussed (tried to search the thread), but does anyone have an idea where I can buy the X300 in Europe? I'm living in Bulgaria and I'm usually ok to spend a bit on reasonable international shipping, but so far the only places I've seen this listed is on newegg (insane shipping + import fees) and some random asian markets (usually entirely in Chinese / Japanese and I can't be sure what I'm ordering) ... I've tried contacting local resellers too, but they don't seem to have a clue when it's going to be available..

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
I asked Asrock. Now i try translate:
"K" BIOS is beta BIOS and independent of production BIOS.
This is still base 1.0.0.1, integrated at 3.50
BIOS 3.70 base upon 3.60, what is base of 3.50....
It is not meaning that changes of BETA will automatically integrated in production BIOS.

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
I asked Asrock. Now i try translate:
"K" BIOS is beta BIOS and independent of production BIOS.
This is still base 1.0.0.1, integrated at 3.50
BIOS 3.70 base upon 3.60, what is base of 3.50....
It is not meaning that changes of BETA will automatically integrated in production BIOS.
Its wrong what asrock tells you. everything in this bios is older then in 3.60k bios and you have more issue then with the 3.70 because its technically very old. Its not newer as the3.60 and it isn't better. It is bader then the 3.60 k and not recommend that bios 3,70