Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
@alles_alles Yea, U need to get an updated version.
It is seems your AMiBCP is outdated and supports only 1 BIOS language

But than again, want is your desired outcome sind this tool?
- aquire some XP
- try to get something running? - I doubt that's possible. Maybe you have to enable more items for the SOC VID to show up. I kept mine with least changes. Therefore it did flash but no wanted outcome was visible.

Btw. I'm still having issues @XMP profile (3200, cl18) using 3.60S. although the vdrop is only 0.1V (which increases stability) unfortunately my sample wants a higher voltage to be applied. 0.1375 vs 0.1V the 3.60S gives us. ->> I'm back on R

This behavior may change when I upgrade to 46xx/47xx or it won't change - then I know I have a faulty power delivery on A300 mainboard.

[3+2] phase design was like 3 phased for the CPU, One phase for SoC and one for APU? Or 2 phases for SOC+APU. I don't remember.

A change in phase-configuration could achieve desired stability results. We'll have somehow to acquire high-res x300 mainboard pictures

Is JZ from JZ computer de also here in forum? I know he has one X300 with P1.40 currently testing.

Maybe we could ask him to provide some high res pics + the "activator chip" should have a different marking (at least one char should differ)

Greetings

Last edited:
Reactions: rubicoin

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
i'm 99% sure that actual hardware for A300 and X300 are identical. see my quick comparison of the two motherboards (picture sources: left side techspot.com review, right side wccftech.com article).

my notes:
- same REV 1.02 revision marking for sure
- X300-STX seems to be a simple sticker :eek: (exact same but rebranded PCB? how lame if true!)

Reactions: gustav

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
@Danlopez1222 as I understand - the pictures @rubicoin posted above: the "activator" chip is under the left cooler-clip... Wow it has to be really a photo of from a passionate person :)
First time (before seeing that pic of the chip) I thought it was somewhere near the BIOS chip. But it makes sence to place it near CPU - which makes sence, when used as a "configurator"
I'm somehow curious how you made it out it should the one to be :) but it may be your secret, I will understand it :D

Danlopez1222

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
3+2 is 3 phase for the CPU, 2 for the SOC and GPU. The chip that handles the phases, the RT3667BB, can be configured for both 3+2 or 4+1. However, it would be interesting if it actually is configured as 4+1, as that would require some trace rerouting and harm the overclock ability of the SOC and iGPU (assuming the 4000 series of APUs route power the same as the 2000 and 3000 series). Maybe they needed to do this to allow for an 8 core APU?

i'm 99% sure that actual hardware for A300 and X300 are identical. see my quick comparison of the two motherboards (picture sources: left side techspot.com review, right side wccftech.com article).

my notes:
- same REV 1.02 revision marking for sure
- X300-STX seems to be a simple sticker :eek: (exact same but rebranded PCB? how lame if true!)

I'm also interested in seeing if the capacitors on the bottom are not all populated like on the a300 board.

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
The author from ryzen_nb_smu has answered me describing his finding during boot. This was upon the Timepoint I was aware of the "knoll" on our A300.
Just wanted to report. He explained the boot process... As I was aware, at some point the BIOS gets copied into RAM ... An so on. X86 is the same as 10 years ago in that regard :)

I appreciate it very much! It's not something you can take for granted. :)

I think of sharing mine/our case with him regarding knoll, maybe it's something he stumbled across writing the ryzen_nb_smu access part.
-- if you look into source @github, you can see very well he's talking with a device (LacciteMico32 or whatsoever) on PCI bus. Which means the outdated (2004) ccc slides I provide a link for earlier still have the same principle.
Just when the ryzen family changes like e.g. bristol ridge to renoir - the address of the SMU on the PCI bus may change - he's working this cases also out in the code.

@Danlopez1222 do you have any questions you would like to ask him on your subject? I would incorporate it in the mail, saying there are two members on sff.com trying to .... Bla bla - You would get the email prior sending.

Just keep in mind, he's in my eyes the porsena with most xp accessing the bn_smu and therefore may know arch aspects of knoll we don't.

Kindly,
gustav

Last edited:

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
3+2 is 3 phase for the CPU, 2 for the SOC and GPU. The chip that handles the phases, the RT3667BB, can be configured for both 3+2 or 4+1. However, it would be interesting if it actually is configured as 4+1, as that would require some trace rerouting and harm the overclock ability of the SOC and iGPU (assuming the 4000 series of APUs route power the same as the 2000 and 3000 series). Maybe they needed to do this to allow for an 8 core APU?

I'm also interested in seeing if the capacitors on the bottom are not all populated like on the a300 board.
i think it is wrong that there ist another phase design on deskmini a300 ... real more you can't geht with 4 phases and the 4750g . Somebody that i know have tested it. You have 4,3 ghz allcore and the vrms aren't soo hoot . good they warm but it is ok he said. If the x300 4++1 should have... you don't have an real advantage. Because with one phase you can't overclock the gpu as with two phases and here you can get lots of preformance on a deskmini. Because the Ram can ran with 4000 @1,35 and bit over with an 3600 cl 16 kit and you can get lots off preformance with high speed ram and gpu oc.

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
i'd never oc a 4750g in A300/X300 with stock 120 W power supply! i mainly bought 4650g because of the limited power capabilities of the system (safety and reliability first). if 4700g would ever be an option below €200, i'd maybe consider switching to it but mainly because of the better iGPU. and 'd possibly use it @ 45W TDP or lower.

an option would be switching power brick to a bigger one, but not sure if it helps or not (because of the weaker PWM controller). btw, does anyone know the specifications of the integrated DC-DC converter/distributor on the mobo? is it ok to run it with a 150W/180W power brick?

and speaking of renoir pro apus: prices are going up as no restocking seems to happen. not a single 4350g/4650g/4750g can be purchased here in hungary, JZ shop has them but prices are €165/€233/€370 respectively. i'm very curious whether it'll change and non-pro versions will arrive till the holiday season or not.

Last edited:

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Oh Look at this:

The DeskMini X300 is for the latest AMD Renoir CPU. Our official website won't provide the BIOS for A300 to support Renoir CPU. If there's any issue when user updates the BIOS on A300, we won't guarantee the functions and will not be able to help with any warranty support.

ASRock
so Renoir@A300 as unofficial support

Jetzt neu: Overclocking von CPU und RAM funktioniert
Eine Neuheit beim DeskMini X300 von ASRock ist die per BIOS freigegebene Möglichkeit zum Übertakten. Und das geht nicht nur mit dem DDR4-Speicher, sondern auch mit dem Prozessorteil sowie der integrierten Grafik. Überall kann der Takt manuell eingestellt werden.

Im Test klappte das problemlos.
RAM, CPU, APU OC without any problems. 120Watt PSU

Last edited:

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
1) sad things about A300 official renoir support, time for X300 oc bios hacking/backporting i guess. using "unofficial" (still perfectly working) beta bios till ethernity is not sexy.

2) LED RGB strip as additional accessories, lol.

3) 120W psu is not enough for 4750g oc. just take a look at the full power consumption of 4350g mentioned (87W).

4) it's finally confirmed that X300 replaces A300 and price will be max €30 more. so at the end of the day users will get a price increase almost equal to a good 3rd party low profile cooler with not much in return. asrock should just bundle a noctua nh-l9a instead of the noisy stock cooler and increase msrp to $170. this move alone would make oc a real possibility out of the box, and we would get real value for the extra money. or just get rid of the stock cooler, cut price to the original $150 and call it X300 pure edition :p

Last edited:
Reactions: elect and gustav

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
Oh Look at this:

so Renoir@A300 as unofficial support

RAM, CPU, APU OC without any problems. 120Watt PSU
you can buy an a300 and install a bios what you want is the same as the x300 no changes i think. if the X300 have 4+1 phases (realtak if, I don't believe that i think its an 3+2 vrm design) you have to the a300 an disadvantage. Because in theory you can better oc the gpu if it should possible. There you have more advantage if you can better oc the gpu instead the cpu on a deskmini (x)= x, a 300 series.

ramalhais

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2019
1) sad things about A300 official renoir support, time for X300 oc bios hacking/backporting i guess. using "unofficial" (still perfectly working) beta bios till ethernity is not sexy.

2) LED RGB strip as additional accessories, lol.

3) 120W psu is not enough for 4750g oc. just take a look at the full power consumption of 4350g mentioned (87W).

4) it's finally confirmed that X300 replaces A300 and price will be max €30 more. so at the end of the day users will get a price increase almost equal to a good 3rd party low profile cooler with not much in return. asrock should just bundle a noctua nh-l9a instead of the noisy stock cooler and increase msrp to $170. this move alone would make oc a real possibility out of the box, and we would get real value for the extra money. or just get rid of the stock cooler, cut price to the original $150 and call it X300 pure edition :p

JZ has the X300 listed for about 15EUR more than the A300.
https://shop.jzelectronic.de/product_info.php?info=p26420_asrock-deskmini-x300.html

ramalhais

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2019
nice video :) deskmini a300 with an 4750g :)

I find it weird that on JZ Electronic they warn that you can't go over 2666Mhz with the new 4750G:

"* This APU (Renoir) does not support the S3 mode (energy saving) in the DeskMini A300!
Info! The Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G can currently max. can be set with PC2666! "

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
I find it weird that on JZ Electronic they warn that you can't go over 2666Mhz with the new 4750G:

"* This APU (Renoir) does not support the S3 mode (energy saving) in the DeskMini A300!
Info! The Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G can currently max. can be set with PC2666! "
what did they realtalk ? what do they ? No realtalk :D :D I know what he testing :) And its example show. It works faster then 2666 .

Last edited:

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
@alles_alles Yea, U need to get an updated version.
It is seems your AMiBCP is outdated and supports only 1 BIOS language

But than again, want is your desired outcome sind this tool?
- aquire some XP
- try to get something running? - I doubt that's possible. Maybe you have to enable more items for the SOC VID to show up. I kept mine with least changes. Therefore it did flash but no wanted outcome was visible.

Btw. I'm still having issues @XMP profile (3200, cl18) using 3.60S. although the vdrop is only 0.1V (which increases stability) unfortunately my sample wants a higher voltage to be applied. 0.1375 vs 0.1V the 3.60S gives us. ->> I'm back on R

This behavior may change when I upgrade to 46xx/47xx or it won't change - then I know I have a faulty power delivery on A300 mainboard.

[3+2] phase design was like 3 phased for the CPU, One phase for SoC and one for APU? Or 2 phases for SOC+APU. I don't remember.

A change in phase-configuration could achieve desired stability results. We'll have somehow to acquire high-res x300 mainboard pictures

Is JZ from JZ computer de also here in forum? I know he has one X300 with P1.40 currently testing.

Maybe we could ask him to provide some high res pics + the "activator chip" should have a different marking (at least one char should differ)

Greetings
I tst 1.4 at deskmini a300 :D works stable :D but can#t oc an 3400 g in windows it have auto frequenz but in bios it works.