Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
nice, share method and some pics please :p

Go to the site of MSI Forum . https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?...or-msi-4xx-non-max-boards-series-only.343010/ . check the descripton on the side. Download the V9_MSI_UEFI_Flash Utility . format any USB stick in FAT32 /FAT . extract the files to root of stick. Download the 1.4 bios from AsRock. Rename the file to like E7A36AMS.H4W or someting and copy it to the root directory of stick. then boot form [USB - EFI Boot] in bios. Read the display and press the key that theres stands wait. type restart. and wait and then go to bios. This action you make it at your own risk. No support , warranty so!!! You can flashback to orginal bios at the same way. This i don't test it

Reactions: Phuncz and rubicoin

Sputnik91

Cable Smoosher
Sep 4, 2020
I am using 3.60R too.
It is located somewhere in the "Advanced" tab

I found some software called Ryzen Controller that allows you to do it in windows. It also has options for GPU clock speed but it caps out at 1300 Mhz. Looks to be open source software, anyone know if there's a version out there that will go beyond 1300 Mhz?

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Hello together. Me having not so much time right now.
Can someone make like 2 sentences to sum up the ongoing?
The X300 has been seen running 1.40 BIOS? And then there is the updated 3.60S (hopefully with SOC VID) and then the third thing is more boost power but using which BIOS version?! Like a BIOS version update can further boost the CPU?
Thanks in advance.

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
Ryzen Controller
Hello together. Me having not so much time right now.
Can someone make like 2 sentences to sum up the ongoing?
The X300 has been seen running 1.40 BIOS? And then there is the updated 3.60S (hopefully with SOC VID) and then the third thing is more boost power but using which BIOS version?! Like a BIOS version update can further boost the CPU?
Thanks in advance.
S- Bios have deleted SOC Voltage Option . You have to use R bios. 1.40 have oc options. it works but No warrenty.. You can use it on deskmini a300. S Bios have add core boost option

Reactions: gustav

Sputnik91

Cable Smoosher
Sep 4, 2020
try to manually write clock speed

No luck. I've been able to underclock my Vega 11 on the a300 with this Ryzen Controller utility, maybe someone who knows textscript or Java can edit it to support higher frequencies since it's open source. It would be cool to OC the igpu.

D3NPA

Average Stuffer
Mar 8, 2020
Reactions: Sputnik91

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Ryzen Controller is kinda a front end for FlyGoat/RyzenAdj. So yes, basically u could. Ryzen Controller defines max value to be 1300Mhz. Since it's only a front end, this can be changed. But what RyzenAdj will do / weather the new clock will be applied or not - you have to try it out.

You could start by setting mix gfx clock to 1300. Therefore you should see (e.g. HWInfo32) that the GPU clock is not slowing down on Windows Desktop.

After restart the overclock (if any possible) should be gone.

Greetings

micky1067

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2020
I can use the igpu from my 3400g inside a virtual machine. Here Windows 10. So I can use a Real driver for it. Is faster. Important is to install proxmox on a Debian 10 an switch of the driver for the igpu. Set in Blacklist. Is not vrealy stable right now. Must See What i need to become it more stable.

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
I can use the igpu from my 3400g inside a virtual machine. Here Windows 10. So I can use a Real driver for it. Is faster. Important is to install proxmox on a Debian 10 an switch of the driver for the igpu. Set in Blacklist. Is not vrealy stable right now. Must See What i need to become it more stable.
ohh thats nice <<33

ramalhais

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2019
Ryzen Controller is kinda a front end for FlyGoat/RyzenAdj. So yes, basically u could. Ryzen Controller defines max value to be 1300Mhz. Since it's only a front end, this can be changed. But what RyzenAdj will do / weather the new clock will be applied or not - you have to try it out.

You could start by setting mix gfx clock to 1300. Therefore you should see (e.g. HWInfo32) that the GPU clock is not slowing down on Windows Desktop.

After restart the overclock (if any possible) should be gone.

Greetings

RyzenAdj doesn't work setting max_gfxclk_freq over the APU maximum. If you set it to 1500(mhz) it will still be at 1300mhz. Probably some protection in the SMU itself. The SMU is probably checking if the BIOS is allowed to overclock.

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Some good News....

Passthrough is runing now with igpu and proxmox. Now Windows has vega11. Great.
BIOS 3.60s

I wonder what has changed. May you show us your dmesg output?
Is there still an error "reaching perf counter"?
I'm still on 3.60R since it's stable with SOC VID :/

RyzenAdj doesn't work setting max_gfxclk_freq over the APU maximum. If you set it to 1500(mhz) it will still be at 1300mhz. Probably some protection in the SMU itself. The SMU is probably checking if the BIOS is allowed to overclock.

Are you able to set min_gfxclk_freq? Would be another hint for an overclock flag in the BIOS.
Where can we find a reference? I mean BIOS o/c flag is a bit at a specific address in flash. SMU is an all Ryzen the same, right. It has to be a BIOS option.
I don't know the model, of how it would be implemented - only guessing.
Maybe it would be possible to diff x300 1.40 BIOS and a300 3.60S BIOS
There has to be a memory region where read-only settings are stored.

If there is a global flag allowing o/c in BIOS that would be nice.
But again, you can o/c also other parts of the CPU/APU - therefore there may be not only *the one* flag.
Interesting subject

Greetings

Last edited:
Reactions: rubicoin

Danlopez1222

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019

Are you able to set min_gfxclk_freq? Would be another hint for an overclock flag in the BIOS.
Where can we find a reference? I mean BIOS o/c flag is a bit at a specific address in flash. SMU is an all Ryzen the same, right. It has to be a BIOS option.

But again, you can o/c also other parts of the CPU/APU - therefore there may be not only *the one* flag.
Interesting subject

Greetings
Each bios has a customized SMU configuration baked into the module. On top of that, 2000 and 3000 series SMU is a different module than the 4000 series SMU. It might be baked into the SMU module to not allow for overclocking of specific component.

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
@Danlopez1222 Thank you, since SMU = System Management Unit, I meant to say like all 2000-Series have all the same SMU, etc. If you even look in the code from RyzenAdj - even they do some switch() case to recognize to cpuid/family :) I know this, it was trivial to say that between Series they may differ.
Is SMU on the CPU or on the Mainboard. I'm guessing it's on the CPU, that's why I do not think you got me right.

On other mainboard I'm able to o/c e.g. a Ryzen 2400G. It has the same SMU as if I would put in on A300.
Yes, there must be some interaction. Like BIOS has to tell power limits of the Mainboard, etc... This is an interesting subject

So SMU resides on both sides. But which one is the "main"? :) if you would be able to manipulate BIOS flash / or "status/flags" registers both directions could be applied

OK found this:
Some how, I deterimined the method of commiunication between processor and SMU on northbridge of Ryzen processor, so it would be possible to change some power and frequency related settings in OS. Especially for Mobile Raven Ridge platform.
Source: https://github.com/FlyGoat/ryzen_nb_smu

Last edited:

ramalhais

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2019

Interesting subject

Greetings

Yes i can set min_gfxclk_freq.

Reactions: gustav