Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Couple pieces of information coming from JZ on HardwareLuxx Forum:

1. ACPI S3 does not work with Renoir on either A300 or X300. S3 is "Suspend to RAM", aka "Sleep" in Windows (as opposed to S4 "Suspend to Disk" aka "Hibernate". This will likely never be fixed for A300 and is pending investigation between ASrock and AMD for X300
2. A new (newer than O) ComboPI V2 BIOS is in the works for A300 that brings back AMD CBS/PBS menus that are currently not available in the ComboPI V2 Beta BIOSes.

Meanwhile, ASRock Japan Official Twitter says, paraphrasing here, "X300 uses same PSU as A300 because that is 180W and that is plenty":

We know that is not true - A300 has 120W PSU. JZ has confirmed X300 uses the same PSU. I am still amazed here. From the couple reviews I read an OC 4750G alone can pull upwards of 120W with no other system component involved at all. For ASRock to not update the power solution appears... absurd?
Power bricks are rated for sustained output, so I guess it might be 180W peak? That makes it sound like a relatively low quality brick though. Might also just be a brain fart.

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
Couple pieces of information coming from JZ on HardwareLuxx Forum:

1. ACPI S3 does not work with Renoir on either A300 or X300. S3 is "Suspend to RAM", aka "Sleep" in Windows (as opposed to S4 "Suspend to Disk" aka "Hibernate". This will likely never be fixed for A300 and is pending investigation between ASrock and AMD for X300
2. A new (newer than O) ComboPI V2 BIOS is in the works for A300 that brings back AMD CBS/PBS menus that are currently not available in the ComboPI V2 Beta BIOSes.

Meanwhile, ASRock Japan Official Twitter says, paraphrasing here, "X300 uses same PSU as A300 because that is 180W and that is plenty":

We know that is not true - A300 has 120W PSU. JZ has confirmed X300 uses the same PSU. I am still amazed here. From the couple reviews I read an OC 4750G alone can pull upwards of 120W with no other system component involved at all. For ASRock to not update the power solution appears... absurd?
So I think the X300 Deskmini have the same Problem as the A300 Deskmini. AMD and AsRock can fix it on both models. Im Sure. The x300 is the same as the a300 with another case and bios . So it is technical the same device. On x300 you can only more oc or can build in (maybe) 2,5 Seagate 5 terabyte hdd physics . So why did the S3 Works with my 3400g apu And not with the 4000g PRO apu. Well every user can buy the Pro Models. ! So if you use in Windows the command powercfg -A Windows sais with the 3400g apu : S3 is in Firmware aviable. If you use it with the 4000g Pro APU Windows tells: The S3 Mode isn't aviable in Firmware. So it is disabled or its forgotten for the pro models. So the firmware told windows isn't aviable. So if you look at the AsRock bios in ACPI setting I can set at my 3400g follow. Suspend to Ram ----> Auto or disable. I don't know what you can choose in suspend to ram at model pro 4000 . maybe auto and disable. But Auto i think i mean it means disable at the pro cpus. So the bios need an Options to Enable that, that it works fine. It sounds like an excuse. If i compare it to my x470d4u Windows told me the same . It s disabled. because this board is an server board

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
a300 does not support 2.5 drives with a height of more than 9.5 mm (5tb seagate = 15 mm), and i guess the same applies to x300 based on the exact same chassis size.
I think the problem is follow. https://www.amd.com/de/ryzen-pro here you can read "Ruhezustand ist ein Sicherheitsproblem" "Hibernate is an Secure Problem" . It explains the feature: " AMD Memory Guard .. So i think if you build in an Ryzen Pro 4650 for Example , it told the firmware im pro cpu with AMD Memory Guard ON so it disabled in the Bios Advanced -> Acpi Options Ram to suspend or Hybernate [Auto] as [Disabled] So you can choose between [Disabled] and [Disabled] (Auto). They have to include the Option [Enable] and as Secure Option AMD Memory Guard (maybe the Option called it so) at [OFF] . So Windows should detected on POWERCFG - A S3 Energy saveing /Hybernate) is aviable. I think this should fix the problem. But i don't can write or edit an Bios. I think this should be the solution.

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
a300 does not support 2.5 drives with a height of more than 9.5 mm (5tb seagate = 15 mm), and i guess the same applies to x300 based on the exact same chassis size.
I have prepare my A300 case and get in a 4 tb seagate hdd 2,5 and it works. So if AsRock this change it can be possible . I can close my case :D I don't know if it change it on x300. maybe. the case is change . But what.??

bowylechat

Efficiency Noob
Aug 12, 2020
It's possible to put a 5to 2,5 hhd inside but you have to use a dremmel or any tool for remove the 4 sureleveted fixations with hole of the hdd on the mettalic plate. (Sorry i'm french). If you do that, you gain the exact place for it.

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
It's possible to put a 5to 2,5 hhd inside but you have to use a dremmel or any tool for remove the 4 sureleveted fixations with hole of the hdd on the mettalic plate. (Sorry i'm french). If you do that, you gain the exact place for it.
hahah im from germany: . yeeah you have to use pliers and bend down some hold. Then you have to cut some hold at bottom und bend it down to . THen you have to use a file. So then you screws the hdd and close it :D. It isnt complicated :D If AsRock change the design a bit it can be done easyily

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Unlikely, as mobile CPUs generally are soldered on the motherboard, not socketed. There have been a few exceptions but that doesn't help the cost and availability at all.

pappl

Caliper Novice
Oct 13, 2019
Installed 3.60R with Ryzen 3400G.
I'm getting "irq handler for vector" errors on boot, but boots fine.
But sometimes graphical glitches, not stable enough for me.
Will go to 3.60K for now.

Reactions: alles_alles