Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Well, it seems that the sale is over. I'll probably just go with the 2400G still since I want some better gaming capabilities.

By the way I'm guessing most of you are using it with Win10 but are there any Linux users here with this system? Thinking of downsizing my build (already smaller at 6 liters) because I do not have the need for a discrete GPU at this time. Gaming on Linux through DirectX layer compatibility is an interesting proposition but Linux+gaming+Raven Ridge APU? Would that be a tall order for this system?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I had mine set up to dual boot for awhile. Works great as long as you use a distro with kernel 4.17 or newer.
Good to know. I'll be using the latest Manjaro with Gnome so that should be good to go. Still I might return to Windows 10 and my home PC is on 7. Before I could upgrade from 7 I would need a way to support booting up that SSD since the BIOS won't support that OS.

ConsolidatedResults

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
My buddy bought this kit as he plans to run everything stock:
That is super cheap ddr4-3200 but I like to play with my toys

That kit turned out to be "J-Die" and I have no idea what Micron J-Die is...

I understand this has been posted quite a bit ago, and some discussion on this has already happened, but as RAM is so important for iGPU performance, maybe this can help anyone still shopping around for fast RAM.

"J-Die" is just a different revision of the same basic Micron 8Gbit DRAM IC. Specsheet can be found here https://www.micron.com/-/media/clie...ducts/data-sheet/dram/ddr4/8gb_ddr4_sdram.pdf

The revisions show slightly different characteristics. E.g. the first RAM kit I had was 2x 4GByte Micron DIMMs pulled from a Mac Mini, based on the 512M16 8Gbit device in Revision E with 2666 speed grade. Performed great, got it to 3200 CL14, but 8GB was too little RAM and held back by the x16 width which appears to be inherently slower than x8 wide ICs. I also had 2x8GB and 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix SportLT 2666 SO-DIMMs kits for testing. They were based on the 1G8 8Gbit device in Revision D. They did not like 1.35v and crapped out faster than at 1.2v, so not useful for overclocking.

I recently aquired a 32GB (2x16GB DualRank modules) kit of the Crucial 3200 series. This one: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct2k16g4sfd832a . However, mine is based on the Revision E 1G8 8Gbit device and manufacturing date was March 2019, not late 2018 as with your friend's kit. So my findings may or may not have any validity for the same kit based on Revision J ICs.

The kit performs great for me. It being dual rank I did not expect much in terms of headroom, but:

3200 CL18 @ 1.2V
3200 CL16 @ 1.35V
3400 CL18 @ 1.35V - Sloppily set timings and only tested to 100% in Memtest so far. Takes ages on 32GB

Single rank (the 8GB modules) would likely go even faster. The single rank modules naturally have a bit lower bandwidth than the dual rank modules, so it's probably fine to go for one or the other just depending on your desired RAM size. At the price I payed (~ €150) I think it's a steal for 32GB. If you go for single modules and not a kit, 2x16GB could even be had for around €135.

Apparently typical Micron issue is tRCD_RD does not like being low. Has to be 4 or so clocks higher than tCL. tRFC can also not go that much lower than auto-timing

Last edited:

silverand

Cable Smoosher
Aug 30, 2019
Hi there :)
As result I got 3400G :)

Memory Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 16GB 2933MHz DDR4 CL17 SODIMM (Kit of 2) Memory HX429S17IB2K2/16
is able to get 3400 @ 1.2V

Looking forward to upcoming AGESA fix:

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Hi there :)
As result I got 3400G :)

Memory Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 16GB 2933MHz DDR4 CL17 SODIMM (Kit of 2) Memory HX429S17IB2K2/16
is able to get 3400 @ 1.2V

Looking forward to upcoming AGESA fix:

You got DDR4-3400 stable at 1.2V with the A300 and a 3400G?

Do you have screen shots of your timings and ram chip?

dche

Chassis Packer
Sep 9, 2019
Yes, I have the L9a-AM4 and it is perfect for the A300, so the L9i with AM4 brackets should fit aswell.

Just want to say you're wrong cause based on your advice I bought the cooler and it does NOT fit. Wasted $70 USD. Thanks bro.

So because Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 are all out of stock or $121 on Amazon, what alternative coolers are out there if not Noctua? Since the Noctua NH-L9i with mounting kit doesn't work.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 29, 2019
Just want to say you're wrong cause based on your advice I bought the cooler and it does NOT fit. Wasted $70 USD. Thanks bro.

So because Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 are all out of stock or $121 on Amazon, what alternative coolers are out there if not Noctua? Since the Noctua NH-L9i with mounting kit doesn't work.
Sorry that it didn't fit, could you explain why it doesn't or post a picture of what isnt working.

dche

Chassis Packer
Sep 9, 2019
Sorry that it didn't fit, could you explain why it doesn't or post a picture of what isnt working.

Lol well those 3 mm actually makes a big difference. The L9a is 92 mm. The L9i is 95 mm. I want to say there is a 1-2 mm difference stopping it from going in.

I was able to ram it in but not without pushing against the ram slot and whatever the black thing is (VRM Heatsink?). Initially it wouldn't go in without one of the 2 bending but once you mount backplate and screw in (wasn't easy, in all weird angles, hard to get screws into the feet) then it seems ram isn't touched (really really really close but no touch) but the VRM heatsink bends.

Is that bending of VRM heatsink a big deal? It's ever so slight but it's a noticeable if very subtle angle. I'm a novice when it comes to knowing computers. This is my first build, never built a PC before. The computer turns on, fan spins. Haven't installed windows, don't know how yet. Don't know how to upload images here, if someone can tell me how I can share what it looks like.

Last edited:

ConsolidatedResults

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
Generally things should not bend much and should not really be forced. If the VRM heatsink loses contact with the VRMs this may cause issues. The VRM heatsink is held in place by two screws on the underside, loosen those to be able to try moving the heatsink a bit more to the edge of the PCB. I had to do that to get my cooler (different one from yours) in, but then it was a perfect fit.

Last edited:

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
Well, it seems that the sale is over. I'll probably just go with the 2400G still since I want some better gaming capabilities.

By the way I'm guessing most of you are using it with Win10 but are there any Linux users here with this system? Thinking of downsizing my build (already smaller at 6 liters) because I do not have the need for a discrete GPU at this time. Gaming on Linux through DirectX layer compatibility is an interesting proposition but Linux+gaming+Raven Ridge APU? Would that be a tall order for this system?
I have running Mint Cinnamon 19.1 on Ryzen 2400g for a while. For my experience, it will runs OK if
1) use kernel 5.xxx
2) update amd firmware graphics, without this update, it will randomly freeze while browsing with firefox.

eldy

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2019
Hi

I just managed to get a good deal on G Skill Ripjaws 2 x 16GB modules (DDR4-2133 (PC4-17000), CL15-15-15-36, 1.2 Volt, Non-ECC, 260 pin, Single Channel )

They will be replacing my Samsung 2400mhz (2 x 4GB modules)

Am I likely to notice any performance drop If i replace due to the lower mhz?

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Don't know how to upload images here, if someone can tell me how I can share what it looks like.
- Go to https://imgur.com
- Quickly clic on the 'New post' button before getting distracted by the upvoted stuff and spend one hour there instead of one minute
- Drag and drop your image into the upload page
- Right clic on your uploaded image / Copy image address
- Paste the address link here in between the following tags
Code:
[IMG] link [/IMG]

dche

Chassis Packer
Sep 9, 2019
As can see from image, the RAM is okay. Though when I put the heatsink in, had to bend a little.
Maybe hard to see from the pictures but the VRM heatsink is bent (assuming that's VRM heatsink). Is that bending okay?

I installed Windows and it works like a normal functioning PC. Again this is the 1st time I've built a computer.

I'm not sure if the fan is "loud" without knowing what the definition of loud is with Noctua fan. The temps do seem cool, temperatures are 49 to low-mid 50s according to CPUID HWMonitor and the CPUTIN. This is under minimal work, couple tabs open on Chrome.

How do you see the arrival date and price? Can't see it on my Amazon.

ConsolidatedResults

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
As can see from image, the RAM is okay. Though when I put the heatsink in, had to bend a little.
Maybe hard to see from the pictures but the VRM heatsink is bent (assuming that's VRM heatsink)

That ist the VRM heatsink. Please see my previous post, loosen the screws on the underside of the mainboard that hold the VRM heatsink. There is enough slack in the mounting holes that you should be able to get the VRM heatsink to sit flush with the edge of the mainboard - from your pics it looks like it's currently a mm or so off. Then tighten the screws again, obviously.

Reactions: BaK

dche

Chassis Packer
Sep 9, 2019
That ist the VRM heatsink. Please see my previous post, loosen the screws on the underside of the mainboard that hold the VRM heatsink. There is enough slack in the mounting holes that you should be able to get the VRM heatsink to sit flush with the edge of the mainboard - from your pics it looks like it's currently a mm or so off. Then tighten the screws again, obviously.

Followed the instructions and indeed, it's no longer bending. The VRM heatsink does touch against the fan heatsink but it's not bending. Can't tell if there's still pressure but as I adjusted to shift a little away from fan, just touching it, no bend.

The dimensions are razor thin, amazing the engineering and precision in dimension of all pieces just barely comes together/ I wouldn't recommend using the NH-L9i as a fan with mounting kit if you can just get the NH-L9a-AM4 or NH-L9a, just cause it's too close but the L9i is an option that is workable. Thanks for the tip, really helped.

Otherwise, a great first build for beginners and a good learning experience

Last edited: