Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Great, thanks for the reply guys! Definitely picking up he 2400g when the a300 is delivered!

One last question, would I be able to use a USB-powered monitor with this? I’ve been looking at this AOC monitor ()

I was just wondering if the A300/2400g would be able to output display via USB 3.0, and if not, would anyone be able to point me to a good, cheap USB-powered display that would work? Thanks guys!
I can't see which monitor that is (no link, something apparently got borked with the forum's Amazon integration), but put simply: If the monitor is a "USB monitor" it likely has an integrated Displaylink chipset and will work on any PC once DisplayLink drivers are installed. Note that this will be entirely useless for gaming or anything else latency intensive, and might show compression artifacts with rapid movement as the video is compressed to be able to transmit over USB. Works fine for browsing, normal video or other general usage. If it's a "USB-C monitor" it likely uses DP alt mode, but the A300 doesn't have a type-C with DP alt mode IIRC.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Hi

I got the deskmini 300 today along with a 2400G

Ive taken the shroud off the cooler that came with the 2400g but cannot get the tray back into the case because the cooler is about 2mm or so too high.

ive screwed the cooler fully into the motherboard.

Do i really need to force it into the case to get in? Should it be that tight?

Yes, the top of the cooler will scrap the case sliding in. It's a very tight fit.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Great, thanks for the reply guys! Definitely picking up he 2400g when the a300 is delivered!

One last question, would I be able to use a USB-powered monitor with this? I’ve been looking at this AOC monitor ()

I was just wondering if the A300/2400g would be able to output display via USB 3.0, and if not, would anyone be able to point me to a good, cheap USB-powered display that would work? Thanks guys!

Why not just get a cheap 60 or 75 Hz monitor? You can get the Vesa mount for the A300 and mount it to the back. All three Video out ports work.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Why not just get a cheap 60 or 75 Hz monitor? You can get the Vesa mount for the A300 and mount it to the back. All three Video out ports work.

And if that's not cheap enough for you:

Acer SB220Q - 22" 1080p 75Hz IPS FreeSync for $89

Edit: Hm, is it just me, or are the automatic Amazon link embeds broken since the site maintenance?

Last edited:

eldy

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2019
Yes, the top of the cooler will scrap the case sliding in. It's a very tight fit.

Ah ok, it was too tight, I got a pen knife and cut off the top bit of the cooler, around 5mm, used to hold the shroud, and now goes in the case with no problem.

It seems there are two versions of the AMD Wraith fan that come with the cpu, mine has a 2mm gap between the fan and heatsink which caused this issue.

Reactions: ShamedGod

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Hi

I got the deskmini 300 today along with a 2400G

Ive taken the shroud off the cooler that came with the 2400g but cannot get the tray back into the case because the cooler is about 2mm or so too high.

ive screwed the cooler fully into the motherboard.

Do i really need to force it into the case to get in? Should it be that tight?
The second shroud has 4 spacers between the aluminum and plastic those are not part of the second shroud and come off easily with your fingernail(at least mine did). Should give you the extra 2mm.

Reactions: eldy

eldy

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2019
Ah ok, it was too tight, I got a pen knife and cut off the top bit of the cooler, around 5mm, used to hold the shroud, and now goes in the case with no problem.

It seems there are two versions of the AMD Wraith fan that come with the cpu, mine has a 2mm gap between the fan and heatsink which caused this issue.
further update, the fan is stuck against the case which is preventing it from moving!

so Ive taken out the 4 spacers screwed between the fan and heatsink to get the 2mm space, fan is now moving when in the case, but will contact between the fan and heatsink cause issue ?

eldy

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2019
The second shroud has 4 spacers between the aluminum and plastic those are not part of the second shroud and come off easily with your fingernail(at least mine did). Should give you the extra 2mm.
just saw your reply, thanks for confirming, yep the spacers are glued on and come off easily!

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
just saw your reply, thanks for confirming, yep the spacers are glued on and come off easily!
I've been running it like that in my K3 case for about a month now(no more than 1mm clearance to top of case), probably not as effective cooling wise but I've not had any issues in benchmarks. I'm running Linux so the only time I get to the 80C or above is when an app does not use the GPU to accelerate something like a 4Kx60 video and the CPU is forced to handle the h.265 decode which causes stuttering and heating(VLC does not play well with 2400G and but mpv can be forced to). Otherwise in unigine type benchmarks high 50s is about it.

Last edited:

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
The post has been updated with new testing and bin file:

3400 stable ram project should be done BUT as I am only using myself as a sample size of one *ShruG*

Col0Korn

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 13, 2019
Okay, I bit the bullet and got a small cheap LCD monitor!

I’ve got one last question: I picked up some Corsair Vengeance SODIMM @ 3000Mhz/C18. I did this (stupidly) without first checking the QVL, and now that I’ve checked, I’m not seeing this on there.

Anyone else with experience using this kit with the 2400G? Really starting to second-guess myself and hoping that it’ll still work out!

silverand

Cable Smoosher
Aug 30, 2019
Hi 2 all :)

I have just bought DeskMini A300W.
The question is what CPU to choose:

3200G - $95 - good price + maybe, no throttling on DeskMini A300
3400G - $155 - throttling is a minus here, but CPU is more powerful in general

Main purposes are media server for 4K HDR video + some games like hitman

Does board support overclocking GPU/CPU. If yes 3200G could be better deal

Please advice!

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Okay, I bit the bullet and got a small cheap LCD monitor!

I’ve got one last question: I picked up some Corsair Vengeance SODIMM @ 3000Mhz/C18. I did this (stupidly) without first checking the QVL, and now that I’ve checked, I’m not seeing this on there.

Anyone else with experience using this kit with the 2400G? Really starting to second-guess myself and hoping that it’ll still work out!

Reactions: ShamedGod

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Hi 2 all :)

I have just bought DeskMini A300W.
The question is what CPU to choose:

3200G - $95 - good price + maybe, no throttling on DeskMini A300
3400G - $155 - throttling is a minus here, but CPU is more powerful in general

Main purposes are media server for 4K HDR video + some games like hitman

Does board support overclocking GPU/CPU. If yes 3200G could be better deal

Please advice!

Why would you get a 3200G when you could get a 2400G?

You can not over clock CPU or GPU

Reactions: NateDawg72

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
2400G with boxed cooler... 4C/8T. Vega 11. No aftermarket cooler needed. It doesn't matter that it isn't soldered. All I did for mine was adjust the fan curve.