Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
@A300 have you by now actually updated your BIOS? Or for now only the Radeon Software? One thing, maybe further hint: Does your monitor have any image stabilization options / image sharpening? Maybe "overdrive"-option? I have no problems - even a better experience since there are far less casual reboots with newer drivers.

Image Sharpening was in the initial Radeon release "off". But they may've turned it "on" by now as default setting. Since it's more established. I personally do like this feature on 24", 144Hz, VA, DP. On my older 24", 60Hz, IPS, HDMI panel there is barely no difference between on or off.

Btw: Are you sure the default windows font is Arial? Isn't it more like Calibri / Tahoma / MS Sans?
I remember the Arial being only in Word the default font :D

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks for your hints.

I have already tried ClearType Setup, it didn't help a lots.

About Color Calibration, don't have problem with current color calibration, the only problem is Text display that is to sharp & crisp for me.
Color calibration also covers brightness and contrast, which affect the perceived sharpness of text. It's worth giving it a try.

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
Yea, I've looked up your other forum. :)
No hints it's the same user based on username, whatever. What I'm wondering is why do you write in german that the missing S3-Mode is a security feature of the Renoir-APU-PRO-line? Highly disagree with you on that one. Whatever

Now correct me, if I'm wrong, but the "Memory Guard" feature of PRO is only one has something to do with RAM but not S3. It encrypts the memory, so you can not run temp-attacks by exploiting the RAM to low temperatures and trying fast read from it, since the bits are "freezed" in their "positions". But since RAM content is encrypted - even if you are able to read it, it still would make no sense. ;)

The second PRO-feature is similar to Intel's management engine and the provided vPro technology. Basically for enterprise and it's admins to be able to maintain the machine even without an OS installed. It gives you low-level (almost BIOS-level) access so you can start your machine remotely from a PXE boot environment for example. -- So in the enterprise-scenario the admin can put the machine at user's desk and remotely prepare it to be used by the user. (makes sense in days like these)

There is no magic behind the PRO, hence no relation to S3 mode.

There is S3 driver in the UEFI BIOS-image, which is highly bugged and is freaking out.
because it doesn't give non PRO CPUs for consumer and AMD Wrotes on their site, that the hybernate is a Security Issue and the AMD Memory Guard helps to Protect your Data. They explain that with Memory encryption and a pic of a connection between ram and cpu. Well AMD circumcised the firmware Version of AMD A300 / X300 Bioses in AGESA V2. Maybe they think they are for business and so you can't access the s3 hybernate. So You can find the information here . Ryzen™ Desktop-Prozessor mit PRO Technologien | AMD . So i think its on the PRO CPU Only the Issue. Note : The AGESA V1 Bioses have all more functions. So there is any Problem to access the s3 standby mode. If you use the agesa v2 bios and a cpu with picasso it works perfect but not with renoir pro because the cpus loads another function tree. Well I think with Non PRO CPUs of Cezenna or Renoir you can ACCESS the s3 standby mode i think. Note: They will add the s3 modern standby in the new version of 5000 bioses on x300. I think the situation is like that on server boards. on Server board on x470 there you can't Accesss the standby mode.

Last edited:

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Sorry I can not find anything regarding S3 in the link you posted. May you help out to find that info? Or at least what AMD posted?

In the last part of your post, you are speaking about 5xxx Series on X300. My question is - are those speculations or is there any evidence? I'm not arguing with you, I just wonder. I mean, the probability they would support it on X300 is way higher than for A300.

Reactions: TomHC81

D3NPA

Average Stuffer
Mar 8, 2020
Scale 125%
looks like blurry mess
try to set user scale to 125%
idk how it looks in english and can't change language, sry
but you should easily find it according to these screenshots

Reactions: A300

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
Sorry I can not find anything regarding S3 in the link you posted. May you help out to find that info? Or at least what AMD posted?

In the last part of your post, you are speaking about 5xxx Series on X300. My question is - are those speculations or is there any evidence? I'm not arguing with you, I just wonder. I mean, the probability they would support it on X300 is way higher than for A300.
You don't understand why that doesn't function. I think its a PRO problem of Renoir and you can read on the amd site why that is.

Nobody can test it with non Pro renoir chips. We want see that with release of 5000er apus on the deskmini. a deskmini problem it isn't because it works on older cpus.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
because it doesn't give non PRO CPUs for consumer and AMD Wrotes on their site, that the hybernate is a Security Issue and the AMD Memory Guard helps to Protect your Data. They explain that with Memory encryption and a pic of a connection between ram and cpu. Well AMD circumcised the firmware Version of AMD A300 / X300 Bioses in AGESA V2. Maybe they think they are for business and so you can't access the s3 hybernate. So You can find the information here . Ryzen™ Desktop-Prozessor mit PRO Technologien | AMD . So i think its on the PRO CPU Only the Issue. Note : The AGESA V1 Bioses have all more functions. So there is any Problem to access the s3 standby mode. If you use the agesa v2 bios and a cpu with picasso it works perfect but not with renoir pro because the cpus loads another function tree. Well I think with Non PRO CPUs of Cezenna or Renoir you can ACCESS the s3 standby mode i think. Note: They will add the s3 modern standby in the new version of 5000 bioses on x300. I think the situation is like that on server boards. on Server board on x470 there you can't Accesss the standby mode.
You don't understand why that doesn't function. I think its a PRO problem of Renoir and you can read on the amd site why that is.

Nobody can test it with non Pro renoir chips. We want see that with release of 5000er apus on the deskmini. a deskmini problem it isn't because it works on older cpus.
S3 sleep works perfectly on my Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G in a B550 motherboard, so whatever your reasoning, what you're arguing is not true - there is no categorical disabling of S3 on Pro APUs. It might be that some vendors for some reason choose to do this on some motherboards, but you can't say that as if it's common practice.

Reactions: TomHC81 and gustav

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
@A300 have you by now actually updated your BIOS? Or for now only the Radeon Software? One thing, maybe further hint: Does your monitor have any image stabilization options / image sharpening? Maybe "overdrive"-option? I have no problems - even a better experience since there are far less casual reboots with newer drivers.

Image Sharpening was in the initial Radeon release "off". But they may've turned it "on" by now as default setting. Since it's more established. I personally do like this feature on 24", 144Hz, VA, DP. On my older 24", 60Hz, IPS, HDMI panel there is barely no difference between on or off.

Btw: Are you sure the default windows font is Arial? Isn't it more like Calibri / Tahoma / MS Sans?
I remember the Arial being only in Word the default font :D
I am still in BIOS 3.40.

There's no point for me to update BIOS if
still with 2400G.

About image Sharpening in monitor, I have to look it further if there is such feature in my monitor.

My monitor is LG 24" 24mp88 IPS.

When windows upgrade from 7 to 10, I have the same problem with display font in windows 10, but with Radeon 19.6.3, after changing its brightness and color temperature, scaling & screen resolution in Windows, it is acceptable for me.

Wish that AMD gives the option to turn off image Sharpening.

About that font, default windows 10 font is segoe ui, but during my experiment to find comfortable font with Radeon 2xx, I found that Arial font is more comfortable for me, so I keep it in Radeon 19.6.3.

Last edited:

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
looks like blurry mess
try to set user scale to 125%
idk how it looks in english and can't change language, sry
but you should easily find it according to these screenshots

I have tried that too.
Unfortunately, set scaling more than 125% with screen resolution 1280x800 is a big mess for me.

But you gave me the idea, I will try to raise the scale and screen resolution, see it if it is more comfortable.

Last edited:

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
S3 sleep works perfectly on my Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G in a B550 motherboard, so whatever your reasoning, what you're arguing is not true - there is no categorical disabling of S3 on Pro APUs. It might be that some vendors for some reason choose to do this on some motherboards, but you can't say that as if it's common practice.
sure it works . But you have a consumer board with any standard conumer options. It isn't a board like a300 or x300. Normaly those SOC chipset arent for Consumer. Its more for business

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
I am still in BIOS 3.40.

still with 2400G.

About image Sharpening in monitor, I have to look it further if there is such feature in my monitor.

My monitor is LG 24" 24mp88 IPS.

When windows upgrade from 7 to 10, I have the same problem with display font in windows 10, but with Radeon 19.6.3, after changing its brightness and color temperature, scaling & screen resolution in Windows, it is acceptable for me.

Wish that AMD gives the option to turn off image Sharpening.

About that font, default windows 10 font is segoe ui, but during my experiment to find comfortable font with Radeon 2xx, I found that Arial font is more comfortable for me, so I keep it in Radeon 19.6.3.
still with 2400G.

Well, for me - there was: +Stability, +better NVMe support, +AMD-V support, +5% more power in benchmarks (talking about 3.60R)

Well, as you may see, you can turn off the 'Image Sharpening'
Radeon 20.11.2, mine 60HZ panel is al LG.

Hope it helps you.

Last edited:
Reactions: A300

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020

Sorry, but you did not quite answer what I asked for :)
I mean you started to talk about 5000 Series before. Do you have any evidence or are you just speculating? It is important to clarify what's known and what are own's statements if we are going to approach this topic seriously ;)

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
still with 2400G.

Well, for me - there was: +Stability, +better NVMe support, +AMD-V support, +5% more power in benchmarks (talking about 3.60R)

Well, as you may see, you can turn off the 'Image Sharpeing'

Hope it helps you.
I may not follow the forum, but for me, with 2400G & BIOS 3.40, I have never experienced such issues with stability & nvme support. My nvme, Adata sx8200 pro, run fine & windows never crashed,perhaps it was because not use in gaming. The only gaming that I play depend only in cpu power.

I will try again to install Radeon 20.11.2, see if all suggestions you guys gave me can give a solution.

D3NPA

Average Stuffer
Mar 8, 2020
I have tried that too.
Unfortunately, set scaling more than 125% with screen resolution 1280x800 is a big mess for me.
no no
you should set exactly 125
but only in this menu
then relogin or reboot

i'm on 2560*1440 125%
w10

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
sure it works . But you have a consumer board with any standard conumer options. It isn't a board like a300 or x300. Normaly those SOC chipset arent for Consumer. Its more for business
All AMD laptops are essentially A300 - the A300 isn't a physical chipset, it's pretty much just a BIOS setting that tells the SoC that there isn't a chipset present, and which features to enable/disable (with the difference between X300 and A300 being PCIe bifurcation and OC support). And all AMD laptops, including ones with Ryzen Pro Renoir APUs, have S3 sleep enabled. So again, you can't say "AMD has disabled S3 on Pro APUs" as if it is a general thing. The Ryzen Pro Renoir APUs are also available in plenty of pre-built desktops, and at least from my (admittedly limited) searching can't find anyone reporting issues with sleep on those. Sleep is an expected baseline feature for any PC, so it would very likely be reported on if it was missing.

Reactions: gustav

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
After a few attempt, I manage to set screen display to a comfortable level.
Thanks to all who have been help me.

Installed Radeon 20.11.2, changed these
  1. Disable Radeon Image Sharpening
  2. Set Texture Filter Quality to Performance
  3. Change Color Temperature to 5000K
  4. Turn Off Super Resolution in monitor
Screenshot with Radeon 19.6.3

Screenshot with Radeon 20.11.2

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
Almost Final !

Updated from BIOS 3.40 to 3.60S

OC RAM from 2666Mhz to 3200 Mhz(no setting changed, only set RAM speed to 3200 in BIOS).
Tested with CB 15 & Crystall Disk Mark, see stable.

But noticed, RAM time is different.

RAM timing with BIOS 3.40

RAM timing with BIOS 3.60S

Time to shop for 4650G.

Btw, what's the different between BIOS 3.60S and 3.60R?

Last edited:
Reactions: apis29

D3NPA

Average Stuffer
Mar 8, 2020
Tested with CB 15 & Crystall Disk Mark, see stable
try tm5

screenshots still looks weird
are you using 4:4:4 RGB mode?

for me your text looks like Clear Type settings on right side

Maybe cause of subpixel position
look

Last edited:

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
try tm5

screenshots still looks weird
are you using 4:4:4 RGB mode?

for me your text looks like Clear Type settings on right side

Maybe cause of subpixel position
look

What is tm5 ?

Actual screen is look a bit sharpen than on this screenshot.
I am using YCbCr 4:4:4 Pixel Format and Turn On Clear Type settings on Windows 10.