Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
Thank you to all who have been helped me.

CMOS Cleared, My Deskmini turn on normally now.

Last edited:

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
Hi guys,

I am on Ryzen 2400g with BIOS 3.40.

I want to upgrade to BIOS 3.60S, if I don't like after upgrade it, can I turn back from BIOS 3.60S to 3.40?

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
@A300 Welcome ;)
Yea, you should be able to switch out the versions vice versa. As long as you are using the right BIOS and don't brick your device by incorrect BIOS you are good to go by or by an error during the update itself.

Reactions: A300

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
@A300 Welcome ;)
Yea, you should be able to switch out the versions vice versa. As long as you are using the right BIOS and don't brick your device by incorrect BIOS you are good to go by or by an error during the update itself.
Can I jump from 3.40 to 3.60S without need to flash to previous BIOS before 3.60S?

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Guys, please read what you are writing.
@alles_alles he's talking about jumper *cap* in the post to short the 2 PIN-header.... He found it on the mainboard, by now, obviously

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
Guys, please read what you are writing.
@alles_alles he's talking about jumper *cap* in the post to short the 2 PIN-header.... He found it on the mainboard, by now, obviously
Oh sorry . In another forum one user aks for the same task and told that he brocken the battery connector ^^

Last edited:

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Oh sorry . In another forum some user aks for the same task and told that he brocken the battery connector ^^
Yea, I've looked up your other forum. :)
No hints it's the same user based on username, whatever. What I'm wondering is why do you write in german that the missing S3-Mode is a security feature of the Renoir-APU-PRO-line? Highly disagree with you on that one. Whatever

Now correct me, if I'm wrong, but the "Memory Guard" feature of PRO is only one has something to do with RAM but not S3. It encrypts the memory, so you can not run temp-attacks by exploiting the RAM to low temperatures and trying fast read from it, since the bits are "freezed" in their "positions". But since RAM content is encrypted - even if you are able to read it, it still would make no sense. ;)

The second PRO-feature is similar to Intel's management engine and the provided vPro technology. Basically for enterprise and it's admins to be able to maintain the machine even without an OS installed. It gives you low-level (almost BIOS-level) access so you can start your machine remotely from a PXE boot environment for example. -- So in the enterprise-scenario the admin can put the machine at user's desk and remotely prepare it to be used by the user. (makes sense in days like these)

There is no magic behind the PRO, hence no relation to S3 mode.

There is S3 driver in the UEFI BIOS-image, which is highly bugged and is freaking out.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubicoin

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
Can I jump from 3.40 to 3.60S without need to flash to previous BIOS before 3.60S?
I do not tested 3.60S. Download-Link? I am unsure if I will try...
I recommend 3.60K (Beta). I am using AMD 3400G. I feel or think, it is atm the best, because newer AGESA version and a lil bit more faster in Starcraft 2 as 3.70 :-/
My downgrade was without problems. Firmware -> USB Stick -> boot UEFI -> flashing.
If you want more garantuee or feel more secure. Check in OS, if your USB Stick works absolut fine and is not damaged. And perhaps if is recommend: set your UEFI Settings to standard. [#CMOS_reset <--- logic!?] I just reset in UEFI all (RAM-Overclocking-Settings) to Standard -> reboot again and than flash.
Last time, I flashed directly, because I was annoyed and wanted throw the expansive A300 on the wall, because all UEFI Firmware make Homer go crazy!

I wish i could write firmware, make god-firmware for A300 and Asrock earned 0cent for more expensive X300 with just one new feature "new UEFI-Firmware". (And USB 3.2 gen 1, what is the same as before USB 3.1 Gen1!)

And there is no changelog:
I had problems with Linux Mint + A300 + P1 Crucial NVME = System FullX.trem Game over Crash
That i am using Arch Linux, now. IH8windows [I´m not Linux Pro, I just want primary entertain myself on a desktop with some office and multimedia features, because graphic need energy and power costs are very expensive in germany, x 3 more expensive as in F, USA, CA ... ~30 EUROcent/kWh
But I read some Users who had Win10-troubles, too. With lag in videos and lower MHz in graphics in games, because UEFI-Firmware and AGESA. Find the failure! <-- that is annoying, and it cost all users month of time, without understanding this trouble. Because normal user, do not thinking hmmm this 1080p yt-video is lagging ahhh that must be a BIOSconfu*ering

Who can talk about AGESA?
1004b
V2 1002

So, that I do not using Mint now, i do not have NVME problems. And with P3.60K 1004b i run better as 1001 (P3.60 / P3.70). But I do not know, if I should upgrade to V2 1002 firmware? It is better for me? Or just that support Renoir, but is slower?

The best is saw in my whole Deskmini time is from the SmallFormFactor the external graphic-card project! That is kewl. Thank you again for the pictures.

and last but not least, until today, i do not know if my CMOS will crash again, if I run Linux Mint with my same hardware-settings + >P3.60 firmware <-- and I do not want testing it again (after 20times. screwing, plugout, opening the case and disconnect all cables), although I want likely using this OS. [Perhaps, because I have just ONE computer and no being a computer tester]

i would like testing the X300. but pay 2x, because try other firmware? hmmmm.... I had bought usb-nvme adapter for 50euro, for just testing if the nvme is defect or firmware-update is available. newest was installed and no bugs. but a 100% it is working gurantee of crucial for P1 and A300! looool (but not said, that is just means with WINDOWS!-.-)

but for a small, low energy costing computer, I think the Deskmini is the best. On a notebook could broken the components, on Deskmini it is all replaceable, but not with notebook and it needs less energy as a PC, but not mobility \o/

Perhaps, a Odroid H2+ is better choice for me? hmmmm... 150 euro, too, but nvme and so-dimm i have now hrhhrhr

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
Hi guys,

I realy want to upgrade my A300 from 2400G to 4650G, that why I want to upgrade from BIOS 3.40 -> 3.60S.

But I am stuck with Radeon Software.

While on 2400G with BIOS 3.40, I have tried many version of Radeon Software : 19.6.3, 20.11.1, 20.11.2, 20.12.1, & 21.01.18. Most comfortable display for me is version 19.6.3.

There are two problem with the versions start with 2xxxx
  1. Crashed / made Windows 10 reboot when RAM reachs 75% more
  2. Windows font are to sharp & crisp
Problem no 1, is annoying but can live with it.

Problem no 2 is a deal breaker. I have tried to change Windows font / set Windows scalling to deal with this problem, but still not found solution that is comfortable like with Radeon 19.6.3.

I have checked AMD web's, minimum Radeon Software for 4650G is version 20.11.2.

Is 4650G can runs on Radeon 19.6.3 ?
Or are there other alternatives to make Windows fonts less sharp & crisp?

I don't do gaming, so no need for GPU performance or sharp display, etc.
Unless find the solution for problem no 2, I guess I will stuck with 2400G.

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020

Clear CMOS jumper Asrock A300

Reactions: A300

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
any photo / screenshot?
maybe it's just global "Radeon Image Sharpening" filter enabled in Radeon Software
I have already uninstalled version 2xx.

What's the default value for Radeon Image Sharpening?

Never changed its value when on version 2xxx.

Here is the Screenshot with Radeon 19.6.3

Take a look at text in % CPU, % Memory, etc. With Radeon 2xxx, that text is sharp & crips.

That screenshot was taken with these settings
  • Screen resolution 1280 x 800
  • Scale 125%
  • Windows font : Arial

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
There are two problem with the versions start with 2xxxx
  1. Crashed / made Windows 10 reboot when RAM reachs 75% more
  2. Windows font are to sharp & crisp
Problem no 1, is annoying but can live with it.

Problem no 2 is a deal breaker. I have tried to change Windows font / set Windows scalling to deal with this problem, but still not found solution that is comfortable like with Radeon 19.6.3.
The Windows ClearType setup should really be able to fix this for you. There's quite a wide span of available rendering modes, sharpnesses, etc. available through that. Just go through the setup a few times and you really ought to find something to suit your tastes. You might also want to run through the display color calibration tool, particularly to ensure correct gamma and contrast. And possibly look take a look at contrast and saturation under settings->display->custom color in Radeon Software.

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
The Windows ClearType setup should really be able to fix this for you. There's quite a wide span of available rendering modes, sharpnesses, etc. available through that. Just go through the setup a few times and you really ought to find something to suit your tastes. You might also want to run through the display color calibration tool, particularly to ensure correct gamma and contrast. And possibly look take a look at contrast and saturation under settings->display->custom color in Radeon Software.
Thanks for your hints.

I have already tried ClearType Setup, it didn't help a lots.

About Color Calibration, don't have problem with current color calibration, the only problem is Text display that is to sharp & crisp for me.