Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
He didn't. He tried it and it didn't work so he switched to a 2400g.

oh i see thx. based on gaming performance i assumed he managed to run 3700x eventually.

anyway, it's not an issue anymore, as at least the same cpu performance is available with 4750g.

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020

ramalhais

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2019

Yeah i have been getting those THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER lately, usually after hibernation or on first boot.
I'll try those out. Thanks!

BTW: the direct links don't work

Reactions: gustav

bowylechat

Efficiency Noob
Aug 12, 2020
Cool, many thanks for this information.
I have this thread issue many times during the play of big games with last bios 3.60S. So i went back to 3.60K (even if my results was better with 3.60S... i'm with Ryzen 5 3400g).
Going to update Adrenalin drivers tonight for testing 3.60S again ?.
I'm looking on Aliexpress for Ryzen 7 4750g but still a bit expensive for 5fps more ingame...

Reactions: gustav

bowylechat

Efficiency Noob
Aug 12, 2020
I think there no différences between these hardware, just the design... I'm waiting for more before choosing if it's interesting for change. Just be patient ?

bowylechat

Efficiency Noob
Aug 12, 2020
The update of Adrenalin is done. Rollback to 3.60S too and yes, it's better. An upgrade of all my bench. Few fps, but more smooth by far.
I've read the release note of Adrenalin, they work a lot on Vulcan and the thread stuck come from that.
Just have to rebuild all the shaders of some games and it takes some time...

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020

this mod got me thinking. by purchasing an adt-link m.2 to pcie riser ($54 shipped), pairing it with a 8-pin dell 12V/18A/220W psu ($48 shipped) and modding the case a bit (a tiny flat hole below the VGA slot for the ribbon cable is enough) makes it possible to attach an entry/mid level eGPU to A300 for a reasonable price.

questions:
- rear m.2 slot supports pcie 3.0 x4 = 4 GB/s = 32 Gb/s which is more than enough for high quality 1080p gaming (also for 4k with 5700 xt as seen in the video above?). but which VGA to use? power consumption of 100-150W would be the best fit, but which generation? amd or nvidia? what would you choose for 4650g? gtx 1650/1660 super or maybe a used radeon 5500 xt?
- rear m.2 slot does not share bandwith with sata ports, does it? i got 2 sata drives in raid, so i hope full x4 speed is still available for the GPU this way.
- some kind of (at least partially) opened external enclosure for the gpu would be needed. anyone got good DIY ideas or a cheap base product in mind to mod?

Last edited:

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
Cool, many thanks for this information.
I have this thread issue many times during the play of big games with last bios 3.60S. So i went back to 3.60K (even if my results was better with 3.60S... i'm with Ryzen 5 3400g).
Going to update Adrenalin drivers tonight for testing 3.60S again ?.
I'm looking on Aliexpress for Ryzen 7 4750g but still a bit expensive for 5fps more ingame...
for 3400g use R or x300 bios. you can set till 3400g the soc voltage. so if you use high memory . If you have normal memory use S bios . soc don't run at renoir . Unfortunately .. but on the 4750 you have to need that feature with memory over 2667 or high memory on 4650/4350 i think .

Reactions: bowylechat

Devon

Efficiency Noob
Sep 15, 2020
5000 series is rolling out soon, while 4000 APUs still hard to get.
Feel like left behind by AMD ?
I agree, if you want a 4000 series I reccomend you get one quickly I doubt AMD will be making them for much longer with trying to supply the APUs for the next gen consoles and the 5000 series. I took my chances with aliexpress and my 4650G PRO rocks, still using it and the computers on 24/7 since no sleep, no crashes and I use it to game and stream for hours while in bed.

Reactions: A300 and rubicoin

ssouthall6

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
5000 series is rolling out soon, while 4000 APUs still hard to get.
Feel like left behind by AMD ?
Agreed, I've checked Ali almost daily for 4000's and not seen any.

My 3200 ain't cutting it any more and a 3400 seems like sunk cost fallacy.

Unless anyone can enlighten me on how to get hold of one I think I'll abandon the project and get one of the ASUS barebones 4700's.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I agree, if you want a 4000 series I reccomend you get one quickly I doubt AMD will be making them for much longer with trying to supply the APUs for the next gen consoles and the 5000 series. I took my chances with aliexpress and my 4650G PRO rocks, still using it and the computers on 24/7 since no sleep, no crashes and I use it to game and stream for hours while in bed.
I think your take on this is poorly informed. The fact that the 4000 series APUs are for OEMs and SIs tells us that they will be in production for a long time - AMD needs to fulfill their warranty and service agreements with these customers. Beyond that, desktop Renoir APUs are based on the same silicon as mobile Renoir APUs, which again are high volume products for OEMs and will as such be in production for a long time. Of course the lack of a retail launch means that they are difficult to get your hands on except for resellers, and there are limits to how long that will be profitable or worth the effort for them, so it is quite likely that the scant availability we have now will drop off as soon as whatever next series of retail desktop APUs AMD has in store are announced. Still, at that point this whole argument will be moot anyhow.

As for availability, I guess it depends on your region, but I ordered a Pro 4650G from a German Ebay store yesterday. I obviously haven't got it yet, so I don't know if it's for real, but the store seems legit. Price was quite decent too.

Reactions: rubicoin and gustav

Devon

Efficiency Noob
Sep 15, 2020

Unless anyone can enlighten me on how to get hold of one I think I'll abandon the project and get one of the ASUS barebones 4700's.
here is the seller i bought mine from if you are interested, they did pack it well. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001412593621.html

Devon

Efficiency Noob
Sep 15, 2020
I think your take on this is poorly informed. The fact that the 4000 series APUs are for OEMs and SIs tells us that they will be in production for a long time - AMD needs to fulfill their warranty and service agreements with these customers. Beyond that, desktop Renoir APUs are based on the same silicon as mobile Renoir APUs, which again are high volume products for OEMs and will as such be in production for a long time. Of course the lack of a retail launch means that they are difficult to get your hands on except for resellers, and there are limits to how long that will be profitable or worth the effort for them, so it is quite likely that the scant availability we have now will drop off as soon as whatever next series of retail desktop APUs AMD has in store are announced. Still, at that point this whole argument will be moot anyhow.

As for availability, I guess it depends on your region, but I ordered a Pro 4650G from a German Ebay store yesterday. I obviously haven't got it yet, so I don't know if it's for real, but the store seems legit. Price was quite decent too.

I guess that makes sense too, in the US renoir laptops are even hard to come by with most 4700U models selling out. Good luck with the chip 4650G is a great cpu.

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
Hi, i have more "just4fun" drill some holes into the A300 case and mounted a simple 2nd fan-cooler. (There are the hole on the side of the case). I thought it is better, because on mainboard are two fan-connect pins. I wonderes why? One for CPU and where to mount a second? So, now, the side with the holes, where are the heat spreaders are, is cold. Before this position of the A300 case was very warm-> hot. But i didnt checked the temperature! ;((
My question:
in terminal : # sensors
00:00:00
edge: +44.0°C (crit = +80.0°C, hyst = +0.0°C)

I want to repeat
00:00:02
edge: +51.0°C (crit = +80.0°C, hyst = +0.0°C)

U know what i mean?
In short seconds the temperature is 10°C higher and lower.
It is just a question. I do not have problems. I am just wondered.

on cpu is mounted Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 with AMD Ryzen 5 3400g.
Linux archlinux 5.4.70-1-lts

PS:
some news about A300 + NVME P1 Crucial + Linux Mint? It will still blackscreen crashing with the newest Beta-Bios-Firmware on starting machine?

Reactions: rubicoin

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020

amd just got us all really good. as i've previously reported, ryzen 4000 desktop apus are basically instinct here in hungary. they were on sale for roughly 2 weeks in late august, but not a single piece can be purchased ever since. it was e-retail only in 4 online shops (i guess all from the same distributor) and whole batch should have been around a dozen or so for 4350/4650/4750g combined! i think that because when i purchased my 4650g it gone instantly out of stock everywhere and never came back. and i dont think it will ever change! this must have been a limited one time only semi-official stock amd made available in every country, just to be able to say that they launched desktop renoir, and that's it.

i guess x300 will have desktop cezanne support eventually, with real retail availability. but for for a300 owners it's a shame :( if no retail 4300/4600/4700g comes in a couple of months, this ship has definitely sailed (last hope can always be a working x300 bios though).

so i'm happy to be lucky enough to get the last 4650g on stock locally, and this is the main reason i decided to max out the capabilities of this platfrom now: i ordered an adt-link m.2 riser with a $17 used dell psu, and i will try to source a cheap sapphire 5500xt pulse 4gb later to live my own dgpu deskmini dream :p (no 1650 super, i want to stick with amd / adrenalin / native freesync, and i need a low-cost 1080p gpu with <200W peak power and with a metal blackplate, because i won't build separate chassis for the gpu).

so i guess i have to live up to the responsibility i got with this ultra rare 6/12 core cpu and pimp my tiny rig this last time, in order to be able to use it for as many years as possible :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Devon

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
amd just got us all really good. as i've previously reported, ryzen 4000 desktop apus are basically instinct here in hungary. they were on sale for roughly 2 weeks in late august, but not a single piece can be purchased ever since. it was e-retail only in 4 online shops (i guess all from the same distributor) and whole batch should have been around a dozen or so for 4350/4650/4750g combined! i think that because when i purchased my 4650g it gone instantly out of stock everywhere and never came back. and i dont think it will ever change! this must have been a limited one time only semi-official stock amd made available in every country, just to be able to say that they launched desktop renoir, and that's it.

i guess x300 will have desktop cezanne support eventually, with real retail availability. but for for a300 owners it's a shame :( if no retail 4300/4600/4700g comes in a couple of months, this ship has definitely sailed (last hope can always be a working x300 bios though).

so i'm happy to be lucky enough to get the last 4650g on stock locally, and this is the main reason i decided to max out the capabilities of this platfrom now: i ordered an adt-link m.2 riser with a $17 used dell psu, and i will try to source a cheap sapphire 5500xt pulse 4gb later to live my own dgpu deskmini dream :p (no 1650 super, i want to stick with amd / adrenalin / native freesync, and i need a low-cost 1080p gpu with <200W peak power and with a metal blackplate, because i won't build separate chassis for the gpu).

so i guess i have to live up to the responsibility i got with this ultra rare 6/12 core cpu and pimp my tiny rig this last time, in order to be able to use it for as many years as possible :cool:
Probably you were right.

I heard AMD got a short supply in mobile CPU too, and with an upcoming 5000 series, probably they allocate resources to the most profitable parts, which are mobile CPU & Desktop CPU.