Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Slim and wide with approximate dimensions of 190mm x 152mm x 60mm (1.7L). Would take the new HDPlex 200W AC-DC in the bottom as an internal power supply.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
160mm x 160mm x 190mm (W x D x H, just shy of 5 liters)

Custom loop water cooled, no visible fasteners, bottom intake & top exhaust...

Primerib

Caliper Novice
Apr 5, 2019
These are B-die: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232725

Currently running them at 3266mhz 14-14-15-14-28 1.35v
The G.Skill 3200 set linked above as well as the G.Skill 3800 MHz 32GB kit are the only B-Die SO-DIMMs I've been able to find.

I just bought the G Skill 3200 c18 kit. I'm going to return my Kingstons as soon as I get the new ones installed and verify B dies. I can't believe you got those running at 14 Dan. That's amazing. Mine reject anything under 16-17-17-40 and I was hoping for so much more with them being listed on the Asrock QVL. I'm excited to crank these G Skills up.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 29, 2019
Here is a quick case for the A300m and HDPlex 200W (I've been busy so I only started last night) I managed to keep it to 190mm x 152.88mm x 60mm (1.74L). The walls may need to be little thicker, they're >=2mm everywhere but I have 3D printed anything I awhile so I'm not sure it that is too thin.

I tried to make a toolless mount for the HDPlex 200W, its a slot that the mounting bracket can slide into with a nub on one end to catch the m3 hole, the end of the litte arm (its free to flex on one side) indexes on the side panel to "lock" it down.

So I still have to finalize all the IO cutouts (I don't trust the random models I pulled in or my own placement) and the the On/Off button. I think I'll use the one from the Deskmini so this could be a kit that reuses as many parts from the deskmini.

I also still need to make a way to secure the side panel to the main tower. Should I make it clip in place or use indexing points on the front with 2 thumbscrews on the back of the tower like normal towers?

Reactions: Valantar

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Here is a quick case for the A300m and HDPlex 200W (I've been busy so I only started last night) I managed to keep it to 190mm x 152.88mm x 60mm (1.74L). The walls may need to be little thicker, they're >=2mm everywhere but I have 3D printed anything I awhile so I'm not sure it that is too thin.

I tried to make a toolless mount for the HDPlex 200W, its a slot that the mounting bracket can slide into with a nub on one end to catch the m3 hole, the end of the litte arm (its free to flex on one side) indexes on the side panel to "lock" it down.

So I still have to finalize all the IO cutouts (I don't trust the random models I pulled in or my own placement) and the the On/Off button. I think I'll use the one from the Deskmini so this could be a kit that reuses as many parts from the deskmini.

I also still need to make a way to secure the side panel to the main tower. Should I make it clip in place or use indexing points on the front with 2 thumbscrews on the back of the tower like normal towers?

I'd do the index.

I think 2mm with ribs or 3mm is a safer bet. You can probably get away with a 2mm cover and have the tray be the stronger part.

Don't forget to leave a cutout for the 19v out to exit the case as well.

You should also break up some of the long air inlet slots. Keeps the panel from flexing.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 29, 2019
I'd do the index.

I think 2mm with ribs or 3mm is a safer bet. You can probably get away with a 2mm cover and have the tray be the stronger part.

Don't forget to leave a cutout for the 19v out to exit the case as well.

You should also break up some of the long air inlet slots. Keeps the panel from flexing.
My thinking was to remove the DC IN from the board and solder some short leads with the proper connector, it would look cleaner, but I could make to cutouts so that a cable could be routed from the HDPlex out of the case back in to the DC IN.

As for the vent, I know they're to long, I just got lazy.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
My thinking was to remove the DC IN from the board and solder some short leads with the proper connector, it would look cleaner, but I could make to cutouts so that a cable could be routed from the HDPlex out of the case back in to the DC IN.

As for the vent, I know they're to long, I just got lazy.

I don't think many people want to desolder a brand new board. :D

I'll probably be designing one in a few months as well. Got a sweet sheet metal design I've been saving for a rainy day.

BikingViking11

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 10, 2019
I had my wife build her new A300 today, her first PC build ever, I just coached her through it.

Went with a kinda boring stock build, DDR4 2666, the 2400G and the stock Wraith cooler. OK, I did help her shave down the shroud to fit it in the case. It's her machine so it's probably good that it just works with no tweaking needed. I'm having her do all the file swapping and I'll share her impressions of it once she has it set up the way she likes.

Last edited:

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I wouldn't get too worked up about it, at least not yet. The source is just an email from msi tech support, which isn't very official and even if true would only speak for msi. They will look really bad if any other manufacturer provides bios updates, so there will be pressure to support it.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...rk-with-300-series-motherboards/#5357e7a45764

This doesn't look reassuring for those wanting to upgrade to a Zen 2 on the A300.
That's a bit of a weird takeaway - MSI is not ASRock, the 300-series of chipsets (and in the case of the A300 and X300, not chipsets) covers a wide range of functionality and featuresets, and as the article states, there's no reason why this shouldn't work beyond OEMs being stupid/greedy. Then again, I doubt we'll see Zen 2 APUs until 2020 - AMD has pretty much said as much (and given the launch of 12nm Zen+ 3000-series laptop APUs, it would be very weird for 3000-series desktop APUs to be 7nm MCM versions, even if it's technically possible). Given that Navi isn't launching for a while (note the careful wording of the Computex keynote press release - Ryzen 3000 is (by all accounts) launching, Navi is being "revealed"), there's little chance of an APU integrating a Navi chiplet until the end of the year at the very best.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Official word from Bill Chen that the Deskmini lineup, including the A300 board, takes 19V input only (no 12-19V wide input).

Reactions: Phuncz and Thehack

Primerib

Caliper Novice
Apr 5, 2019
Noticed today that Newegg has changed the A300W listing to simply out of stock and removed auto notify. Not just says "This item is currently out of stock and it may or may not be restocked" found that to be interesting. Not many items switch to that status after only being a couple of months old.