Power Supply [SFFn] An In Depth Look at Silverstone's Nightjar NJ450-SXL

SilverStone

Caliper Novice
SilverStone
Jan 5, 2017
Thanks. I understand it can be seen as the ambient temperature, but it has always been a bit confusing to me. For a ventilated PSU I assume it would actually be the air temperature surrounding the so called thermistor inside the PSU? Not sure where these thermistors are usually placed, perhaps directly to the shell.

It seems to me that the NJ450 could struggle to keep below 40C in SFF cases like Dan A4, where the PSU is basically surrounded by hot air components without real fresh case air flow.

The testing procedure for certifying environmental/ambient temperature for both fanless and ventilated PSU is the same. The PSU is placed in a thermal chamber in which the air surrounding the PSU can be controlled precisely. The NJ450-SXL will cope just as well or better than any ventilated PSU also rated to 40C at full power.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The testing procedure for certifying environmental/ambient temperature for both fanless and ventilated PSU is the same. The PSU is placed in a thermal chamber in which the air surrounding the PSU can be controlled precisely. The NJ450-SXL will cope just as well or better than any ventilated PSU also rated to 40C at full power.
@SilverStone, Thanks for clarification..:)
At least with passive psu, no risk of faulty fan..:)

Reactions: Biowarejak

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Good morning!
I am shrinking toa Dan A4 SFX my previous PC, Do you think that this PSU could handle an 8700K not overclocked 2 Sata SSD, 1 NVME SSD and a 1080 Ti under load like rendering? Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I've read the full post, and there is the answer! Thanks anyway!

Last edited:

NYCesquire

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2016
We've just updated our NJ450-SXL page with a new power vs. temperature graph. Someone had asked if this PSU could operate at 45C, the answer was yes, but it'll derate to 400W.
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=797

I have to ask: Why are there no ventilation holes in the enclosure?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
That would remove mass that could soak up heat, and the frame isn't exactly air-tight anyhow :)

Yes, having ventilation holes means less mass to act as heatsink and less surface area for exterior heat exchange.
450W is probably the limit of using a fully non-ventilated enclosure.

Both Silverstone and Seasonic have 520W and 600W fanless passive PSUs (ATX size though) that employ a fully ventilated enclosure instead of a non-ventilated one. So, it seems that, non-ventilated enclosure can handle heat dissipation up to 450W range and a fully ventilated enclosure has to be employed for anything above.

SilverStone

Caliper Novice
SilverStone
Jan 5, 2017
I have to ask: Why are there no ventilation holes in the enclosure?

Vents and holes were simply not needed for cooling as more area of the enclosure is required for direct heat conduction (via thermal pads) with the components inside. Also the side benefit that most people may not realize is NJ450-SXL's vent-free design help encloses whatever electrical / coil whine noises left produced by the PSU on the inside. No vents or holes means sound waves don't travel out of the PSU enclosure, making NJ450-SXL likely the quietest consumer PC power supply ever released.

Last edited:

n13L5

Trash Compacter
Aug 20, 2017
It's finally here. Silverstone's Nightjar NJ450-SXL, the completely passive 450 Watt SFX-L power supply has arrived. Silverstone gave SFF Network the first look (and I mean first!) at this unit at Computex 2017, and our community has waited with bated breath since then.

The idea of a passive (or even just a silent) SFX power supply has been on our minds for some time. Somewhat satiated by semi-fanless designs, we nonetheless still desired that final step - completely fanless. In all honesty, I expected the first real foray into fanless SFX(-L) would have been a 300W unit at best, but Silverstone has jumped straight to 450 watts - a perfectly adequate capacity for most of the more powerful SFF systems at present.

Let's see how the first contender in this new market segment sets the bar!

A disclaimer first before we get started: SFF Network does not currently possess the expertise or equipment to fully test the electrical performance of PC power supplies, and as such, this article should not serve as the sole data point in determining whether to purchase this product. We’ll be able to contextualize the utility and experience of using this unit with others in the market place, but we’d suggest having our own review supplement those by others who have the hardware and capability to do more thorough analysis of electrical performance, especially at higher wattages.

Read more here.

Kudos for the detailed disclaimer!

Without proper electrical tests - you end up limited in the most crucial area of PSU performance. You can see how loud it gets and you can measure overall efficiency. You can look at the components used and if the PCB is surface mounted or if its the usual Shenzhen bargain-basement mess.

Exercise extreme caution in buying your PSU, because unstable power can cause no end of intractable computer problems.
Likely, with no spare PSU on hand, users will be sleuthing for software issues first, wasting hours, days or weeks...

Whatever money you save will be lost in hours the first time an issue shows up.

- - -

Silverstone has some great engineers, figuring out small and sensible case layouts.

But any and everything I ever bought with their name on it, was bare minimum quality level. Cases are cleverly designed but cheaply built, to the point of shoddy - and that's their main business...

As far as I know, Silverstone does not build PSUs, you find units that are either re-branded or manufactured for them.

I had one of their 600W SFX PSU's and having trouble with that, got a Corsair 600W and it was like night and day.
I read they did manage to fix the issues after a few attempts. (I don't know if Corsair builds / designs their own PSU's, but I saw a full electrical performance write-up before buying it - something I had omitted for the Silverstone, because they were literally the first company that had a 600W SFX-L PSU.

I'm not saying that's directly comparable in any way to the unit you're reviewing here.

My point is: I wouldn't buy a PSU that doesn't come from only the very few most highly regarded, dedicated PSU builders. And even if you buy the likes of Seasonic, you still want to see full measurements and knowledgeable interpretation there-off, before you place your order, because the models differ - some are better than others and its not as simple as buying the most expensive one...

Buying a main-board is far simpler to do, there's only ASRock, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, EVGA and you just have to pick the features you want. Except for rare engineering errors, there's near zero chance that you'll get a poorly made, low quality board.

There's no other PC component, where quality can range down as low as with PSUs.

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
Kudos for the detailed disclaimer!

Without proper electrical tests - you end up limited in the most crucial area of PSU performance. You can see how loud it gets and you can measure overall efficiency. You can look at the components used and if the PCB is surface mounted or if its the usual Shenzhen bargain-basement mess.

Exercise extreme caution in buying your PSU, because unstable power can cause no end of intractable computer problems.
Likely, with no spare PSU on hand, users will be sleuthing for software issues first, wasting hours, days or weeks...

Whatever money you save will be lost in hours the first time an issue shows up.

- - -

Silverstone has some great engineers, figuring out small and sensible case layouts.

But any and everything I ever bought with their name on it, was bare minimum quality level. Cases are cleverly designed but cheaply built, to the point of shoddy - and that's their main business...

As far as I know, Silverstone does not build PSUs, you find units that are either re-branded or manufactured for them.

I had one of their 600W SFX PSU's and having trouble with that, got a Corsair 600W and it was like night and day.
I read they did manage to fix the issues after a few attempts. (I don't know if Corsair builds / designs their own PSU's, but I saw a full electrical performance write-up before buying it - something I had omitted for the Silverstone, because they were literally the first company that had a 600W SFX-L PSU.

I'm not saying that's directly comparable in any way to the unit you're reviewing here.

My point is: I wouldn't buy a PSU that doesn't come from only the very few most highly regarded, dedicated PSU builders. And even if you buy the likes of Seasonic, you still want to see full measurements and knowledgeable interpretation there-off, before you place your order, because the models differ - some are better than others and its not as simple as buying the most expensive one...

Buying a main-board is far simpler to do, there's only ASRock, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, EVGA and you just have to pick the features you want. Except for rare engineering errors, there's near zero chance that you'll get a poorly made, low quality board.

There's no other PC component, where quality can range down as low as with PSUs.

This, very much this and I can't stress it enough. I manage the build log section on OCN and I've seen way too many times, very high end builds, using mediocre power supplies or very inadequate power supplies for their builds. (like 1500W for 1070 / i7 builds, sayings that it's just in case).

Corsair doesn't make their PSUs either. Most major OEMs include Delta, CWT, Seasonic, In Win (yes, they make their own PSUs), FSP, Super Flower and quite a few more. From memory, I think Corsair most uses Seasonic, CWT and Delta.

Also, one important thing to note is that the 80+ Plus rating doesn't mean it's a good power supply, it just means it has a specific level of efficiency to convert AC power to various DC power. There's things like ripple suppression that can cause unstable overclocks, kill hard drives that's really important.

SilverStone

Caliper Novice
SilverStone
Jan 5, 2017
- - -

I read they did manage to fix the issues after a few attempts. (I don't know if Corsair builds / designs their own PSU's, but I saw a full electrical performance write-up before buying it - something I had omitted for the Silverstone, because they were literally the first company that had a 600W SFX-L PSU...

Sorry some of our products have let you down, but our main business is definitely not based on building shoddy products. That's an unfair generalization! We currently offer 99 case models for sale with prices ranging from $30 to $600, so there are going to be a few models that are built to lower price points for their target audience. So for example, a SG13 with its 0.6mm steel that retails for around $40 is not going to have the feel of SG11 that has 0.8mm steel shell, which retails for around $60. It's definitely possible $40 (or even less) can buy you more solid cases than SG13 when there are tons of case options that go on sale, promotion, or clearance on a daily basis but those aren't fair comparison either.

We have mostly built our reputation since our company founding in 2003 on great quality products and today, if you want the best built mass produced small form factor cases, we still have plenty of choices with little tanks such as CS01, FTZ01, FT03-Mini, etc... still available to choose from!

As for power supplies, Corsair's SF600 is built by Great Wall while our SX600-G is built by Enhance so we are on equal footing in this aspect. We released SX600-G in 2014 at a time when the highest wattage SFX PSU was only 450W and few cared for SFX in retail. We also invested in various case designs to help leverage the use of SFX and even courted our competitors to join us (Corsair included). If we are simply just a PSU rebrand company, both SX600-G and Corsair's SF600 (released in 2016 by the way) probably would not exist today.

With that said, in terms of pure electrical performance the SF600 is definitely better than our SX600-G as it should be for a product released two years later. Our SX650-G released last year is also a great deal better than SX600-G as well so we are not standing still.

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
I have a 2700X, 32GB RAM, x2 SSDs and x1 M.2... with a view to obtaining either a 2080 or 2080Ti in the near future. I'm guessing this PSU isn't going to be enough to run all that? Are there any plans to release more powerful silent running SFX(L) PSUs in the near future? I personally found the always-on fan on the SX650-G a bit loud for my tastes.

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
@SilverStone... any thoughts on above? I have a 2080 on pre-order, and my system comprises of Ryzen 2700X, 240mm AIO, 32GB RAM, x2 SSDs and x1 M.2. What would you say to using the NJ450-SXL with this?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You can calculate this yourself: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
If I input everything you mentioned (using RTX 2080), your 12V line is going to need to be able to supply 368W on the 12V line, which isn't far off from the power limit of the NJ450-SXL if you also account for fans and USB devices you're near it's limit.

I'd consider the 700W or 800W SFX-L PSU considering these have semi-fanless anyway, with the same size and price point.

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
You can calculate this yourself: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
If I input everything you mentioned (using RTX 2080), your 12V line is going to need to be able to supply 368W on the 12V line, which isn't far off from the power limit of the NJ450-SXL if you also account for fans and USB devices you're near it's limit.

I'd consider the 700W or 800W SFX-L PSU considering these have semi-fanless anyway, with the same size and price point.

Those calculators have a tendency to overestimate, sometimes WAYYYY too much. There are plenty of examples of people running a 7700k with 1080Ti on a 450W PSU and no issues, and tests showing max power draw in the 300's even during power hungry games. Heck, I've seen people running some pretty crazy builds on a 600W, again with no issues and testing show power draw well below what one might think.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Because it works, doesn't mean that it is safe or that it will last. Trust me, you wouldn't like a failing PSU taking half of your computer away with it.

Power draw is no black magic voodoo. Power spike and worst case scenario are rare but not inexistant. Better prevent than fix disaster.

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
Because it works, doesn't mean that it is safe or that it will last. Trust me, you wouldn't like a failing PSU taking half of your computer away with it.

Power draw is no black magic voodoo. Power spike and worst case scenario are rare but not inexistant. Better prevent than fix disaster.

I do understand where you're coming from, but I've seen countless examples of it done, and don't recall any subsequent reports of system/component failures because they didn't use a powerful enough PSU. Not that this proves anything of course, but I would imagine I'd have come across examples and 'fail' videos of such incidents. On the contrary, a few that I've seen have had no stability issues for months on end. But who knows?

SilverStone

Caliper Novice
SilverStone
Jan 5, 2017
The NJ450-SXL should be able to handle a Mini-ITX system based around the RTX 2080. As for RTX 2080 Ti, we are not recommending it.

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
The NJ450-SXL should be able to handle a Mini-ITX system based around the RTX 2080. As for RTX 2080 Ti, we are not recommending it.

Would that include an OC on a 2080? It may be hard for you to comment on that though, given we won't really know more on power draw above stock on the 2080 until reviews are released.

SilverStone

Caliper Novice
SilverStone
Jan 5, 2017
Obviously overclocking with liquid nitrogen is out of the question, but mild OC is probably OK in the range of 10% or so. Keep in mind NJ450-SXL's platform is based on the SX800-LTI so it has the reserve to handle relatively heavy load if the environmental temperatures are favorable.

Reactions: Kooki and Phuncz