SFF.Network Hands on with SilverStone's NJ450-SXL fanless SFX-L prototype!

In a SFF Network exclusive, we take a took at a early SilverStone prototype of a 450W fanless (you read that right, completely passively cooled) SFX-L power supply here at Computex 2017!..

Read more here!

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
Damn, you are fast, just sat down wanting to post about the asrock boards and silverstone stuff and saw that you've already written such a good article about it. Thank you for it.

I also saw some VLP DDR4 RAM and SO DIMM RAM from innodisk that might be interresting, too.

(Edit: Spellchecking)

Last edited:

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Looks pretty slick. It makes total sense that they would use the innards from the 800 model to ensure fanless support at 450watts.
I like the USB monitoring so I hope that they keep it.

Nicely done @SilverStone

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
I've never been this excited about a product in the SFF community.
and just when I thought the X299E-ITX/AC was ground breaking!

EDIT: I write music (an environment which is obviously noise sensitive) so this is very appealing.

Last edited:

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Excellent, it is certainly an interesting product - I'd bought it if one had existed when I put my current system together.

DontPeek

Trash Compacter
Oct 17, 2016
Finally! A decent wattage fanless unit. Wish it was the regular sfx form factor but still. Awesome stuff.

Jann5s

What's an ITX?
May 30, 2017
A PSU like this would be amazing, please continue along this direction! 450W is not an issue for me, I have a 220W GPU and a 95W CPU currently on a 450W SFX PSU, and (as the numbers suggest) it runs fine. You can do a lot with a system like that, I don't feel power restraint.

DontPeek

Trash Compacter
Oct 17, 2016
On another note I really hope we don't get strung along for years only to have it release and have some deal breaking fault like loud coil whine or something.

Reactions: Kwirek

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I definitely was not expecting to see a fanless SFX PSU... well, if not ever, at least not until SFX made its way to 'normal' sized enclosures as standard. Passive cooling for a PSU that will normally be used in cases that lack case fans is seriously impressive!

Reactions: Commissariat

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
This is really cool. If it doesn't have any ventilation holes, no dust can get in.
Also, I already have a passive cooled SFX PSU. SilverStone ST30SF v1.0. It just needs modular cables.
(In case nobody gets it, the fan never kicks in)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Any thoughts on if this should be part of the Nightjar (passive) or SFX lineups?

Basically it's whether this should be considered primarily a passive PSU that happens to be SFX, or primarily a SFX PSU that happens to be passive.

Initially I was leaning towards SFX and Tony towards Nightjar, but after thinking about it I'm not sure. At this point fanless PSUs are actually rarer than SFX or SFX-L, so from a marketing perspective it may make more sense to highlight that it's fully passive.

But the only unit currently in the Nightjar line is the 520W ATX NJ520. So you'd end up with the situation where the 450W would be more expensive than the 520W because of the smaller size. Thus, for someone shopping for a fanless PSU it'd only make sense to buy the 450W if you specifically need the smaller form factor.

In that case then maybe it'd make more sense to put it in the SFX line? But it's kinda the same problem, this will be more expensive than everything except maybe the SX800-LTI, despite being only 450W. So it'd only make sense to buy for someone who specifically wants the lowest noise.

It's a tricky question. Though on a shallower level, if it's a SFX it'll get a black anodized finish like the prototype and if it's a Nightjar it'll be silver. The black looks good but one second thought the silver would look striking too.

Reactions: Phuncz

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
People that care about 100% passive will pay more for it.

IMO it's a bit weird to put passive PSUs in their own category. I'd just keep it as SFX. Also black > silver, at least if we're talking internal components. Blends in better.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
People that care about 100% passive will pay more for it.

Absolutely, I know I will.

IMO it's a bit weird to put passive PSUs in their own category. I'd just keep it as SFX. Also black > silver, at least if we're talking internal components. Blends in better.

I think it makes sense to split out fanless units. The people shopping for them are not looking at the rest of the PSUs.

The silver is probably a bit too much, but this is an extremely niche halo product so I think it's important for it to stand out at least a little and not just disappear into a build.

So I think maybe a gunmetal finish so it's not a black blob like every other PSU would look nice without clashing with the other parts.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
It seems to me it was a mistake to make SFX its own product line, or else to make product lines based on features. Form-factor != features, so do model lines defined by one or the other, but not both.

As for what they should do now that they've created this confusing situation for themselves? I mean, flip a coin really. Because I'm sure you'll get a lots of opinions both ways.

I'd also say it hardly matters at the end of the day; people that want passive will go out of their way to find it, while everyone else isn't about to buy a more expensive PSU just because it's passive.