SFF workstation.

I used to run beige Noctua coloured PCs in big metal boxes, with CPU heat sinks cable tied onto my GPU etc.

Then came things like Cooler Master Stacker 8xx with stupid fans at full speed everywhere that rattled like crazy.

Then came my Fractal Design monolith which is dreary and boring and about as uninspiring as you can get.

So now is the time for a PC I can put on my desk, is quiet, nice to look at, but also has 3950x and high end GPU power for my work and play!

A black Streacom DA2 build running air cooling and glass sides it is then (with some RGB ?)

I'm expecting a lot of questions and headaches over the coming weeks (or months)

Cheers

Dave

Mr Whippy

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2020
Cheers...

Well I've had headaches with the build already haha.

I've been buying components with bitcoin (taking profits) buying from Scan computers.
But for some reason the fee was too low (used BRD wallet fee suggestion) and now the transaction is in purgatory... £500 in case and other bits with £5500 in change unconfirmed haha.

Fingers crossed it all works out and I get my change, and Scan will accept the bitpay payment late!
Or it might be 2 weeks waiting for the transaction to fall off the ledger and revert to where things were.

I'd done a test purchase earlier in the year and all went fine... but glad I didn't put a mobo/ram/nvme/cpu in there in this transaction!

So I can't really do much for now. Gah it was gonna be delivered tomorrow and I could order the other bits and glass panels etc. I was hoping I'd be using a new workstation in a few weeks but it looks like I'll be using my old Z87/4770k/Fractal Define a bit longer.

Mr Whippy

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2020
The bitcoin cleared and Scan acted upon the invoice. Yay!

Sadly the PSU is now out of stock until Tuesday 4th August (I'm first in the queue however), and none of the rest of the order can be shipped until that becomes available.

Given what I read around here, this kind of struggle seems par for the course for SFF builds so I suppose I need to get used to it.