First time SFF, Long time IT nublet

Hi all.

This is my introductory post, so I guess I should do the typical overview history and location type job.

Where am I from? Australia
How long have I been building computers? Since I was a teenager some 30+ years ago.
SFF before? Nope. Never. Looking into my first small form factor right now, and am leaning heavily on the custom build route currently due to a distinct lack of cases that interest me.
Custom PC before? Yes. Many times. And many iterations. Have done both air and water cooling.
Work in IT? Yes. 20+ years there too.
Current Hardware? Ryzen 5600X, Powercolour LiquidDevil 5700XT, ASRock B550M-ITX/ac, 32Gb RAM, 3 SSD's, 1 NVME, 1 HDD, Super Flower 1000W PSU
Case? Fractal Designs Define S Watercooling with Window
Cooling? Alphacool UT60 360mm Radiator, Singularity Computers 200mm Reservoir, Phanteks Ryzen CPU Block, Hard tubing (switching to soft with SFF case), 5x Corsair SP120 (the old ones; these fans are probably >10 years old now).
Any Mods? I did have a custom wrap job on the case at one point, but I got bored with it and removed it. Have done mods to CPU and GPU blocks and Radiators in the past.
Discord? Yes. Actually, it's how I came to be here.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum ! That 1000W PSU feels like massive overkill :D

Be sure to read up on the terms and rules of the forum. Mainly for buying and selling or other commercial activity on the forum as the access is limited and the rules are strictly enforced.

As a new user you're probably not able to edit posts or links just yet, so if a substantial error was made, click the Report-button in the post.

Hope to see you around, enjoy the wonderful world of SFF !

Surfie

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 6, 2023
Welcome to the forum ! That 1000W PSU feels like massive overkill :D
Prior to using it, I had a Corsair RM750 which was having power delivery issues for the CPU when I did an upgrade from an older Gen Intel chip (I honestly don't remember now what it even was, but I think it was a 9900K). After some testing, I was able to deduce that the issue was power delivery because the issue would only happen after a certain amount of time with either high CPU utilisation or high GPU utilisation. This led me (perhaps erroneously, but I have not got a PSU tester nor do I know anyone who does) that either the Wattage was too low, or that the PSU was dying. I went searching for a new PSU, and found the one I now have cheaper than any 800W unit (it was on special - surplus stock at the retailer perhaps) that I could find at the time. I tend to over-size my PSU's anyway just to ensure that I have overhead for sudden power demands, so this became a no-brainer at that point.

Reactions: Soul_Est