Austrian Motion Designer diving into the sff space

Hey guys,
it’s finally time for a "little" introduction of myself ?

I’m Gerold, a 2D/3D motion designer based in Austria with a special love for hardware - as surely all of us have.
From 9-5 I’m rocking along on my workstation, wildly clicking and trying to hit the right buttons in Adobe After Effects and Cinema 4D.
Until the end of last year I was running on X99 with an i7-6850k and two 1080 TI in a bequiet Dark Base pro 900 v1 - not quite sff right?^^
With the more or less recent release of the ZEN 2 killer CPUs of AMD, I decided to downsize our daily systems. Software can’t quite keep up with the jumps hardware did in recent years and we also need to move our machines from time to time, when collaborating with other designers.
So I came to the decision that there is no point in wasting space, energy, thus money and breaking our backs.
I want to split our current systems into two sff daily drivers and a render workstation, which will only run when it’s really needed and doesn’t have to move.
So I just googled around what the options for smaller form factors are and found out about this gem of a forum ?

My daily system as of today is: 3950X with a NH-D15 and the EVGA 2060 KO (still in the DBP 900) - 100% space efficiency right? right?

I hope to someday move into the FormD T1 by @Wahaha360 , but until then I’m looking for a case that can accommodate my build so we can rebuild our (then to be) render machine. We’ve got the L12S around, so the CPU cooler clearance should be at least 85mm (top mounted slim fan because of ram clearance) and 2 expansion slots with around 205mm clearance in length. I was looking at the Raijintek Ophion.
Feel free to suggest some cases, I just love to explore the market.

My colleague is now on a very similar system: 3950X also with a NH-D15 and a GTX 1070. But we decided to stay with the NH-D15 on this system, to see how the two will compare. We hope that the Klotz by mosaik/@designaddict (also if you guys need any help with prototypes/testing, leave a hint ?) is making its way into production and ultimately want to move into this case. So right now we are looking into the SunMilo C01 and the Lian Li TU150.
Please feel free to recommend cases with 160/165mm CPU clearance and at least 2 expansion slots.

Which ultimately leaves us with the render machine in the Dark Base Pro 900. But as we are sff enthusiast by then, we will let go of the DBP900 and move into the Chimera CX2 at some point in time ?

So that is the plan.
Also if you have any thoughts on the matter of “physically moving machines with water cooling loops on a bi-weekly basis”, I’d love to hear them!
Thank you for reading it through until the end and please feel free to leave suggestions!

Cheers,
Gerold

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
My colleague is now on a very similar system: 3950X also with a NH-D15 and a GTX 1070. But we decided to stay with the NH-D15 on this system, to see how the two will compare. We hope that the Klotz by mosaik/@designaddict (also if you guys need any help with prototypes/testing, leave a hint ?) is making its way into production and ultimately want to move into this case. So right now we are looking into the SunMilo C01 and the Lian Li TU150.
Please feel free to recommend cases with 160/165mm CPU clearance and at least 2 expansion slots.
Good self introduction!

Deng F15 Pro (165mm CPU clearance and 3-slot expansion).

Reactions: Gerold

saxovtsmike

Chassis Packer
Feb 25, 2020
Greets from Austria ;-)
Thx for hinting me towards the Klotz (love that name). Currentliy I´m in a comparable situation, ATX sized, watercooled Gaming setup in a R6, with the constant itch to go small again. To start things I Ordered a Z390 itx board, just to be prepped in case of a propper case (pun intended)
Your insta Pictures of a black D15 on an ITx board just makes me want to Watercool the GPU only and go with CPU on air

Reactions: Gerold