SFF with compromises?

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
One day I would like to ditch my old ATX tower and go with mITX, but I have a tower CPU cooler the Cryorig M9i and a Sapphire Nitro RX 460 which appears to be close to the length of a full size GPU.

My idea is to take an old HP case I've got and lop huge chunks off and create something that resembles the Silverstone SG 05, but with the PSU mounted towards the other end of the case just far enough so I can fit a tower CPU cooler.

I think my tools should cover most jobs that would come with my project. What do you think? Did I miss an existing product that would fill my niche?

Last edited:

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Ah...if you swapped that 460 for the 460mini...or the single slot 460 you could really trim your system down.
Yeah, but I don't want to buy another GPU.

I plan to someday upgrade to 4K when GPUs for that get to ~200 dollar price points. And when that day comes I would like to get a card with a reference blower style cooler design because 1. I find them attractive and 2. they cool better in SFF solutions from what I've heard.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Do you have a way of bending metal i.e a press brake or what not? Easiest thing to do would be to take the smallest case that is big enough for your needs, chop the bottom motherboard panel out, bend the edges up and then take the largest case and bend it to form the top, rivet/bolt together (or use magnets or whatever). Having chopped a few cases apart it won't ever look as refined as a custom made case (especially depending on a Dremel) but it is fun. Also look to repaint everything once you're done to cover up the chopped edges..

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Do you have a way of bending metal i.e a press brake or what not? Easiest thing to do would be to take the smallest case that is big enough for your needs, chop the bottom motherboard panel out, bend the edges up and then take the largest case and bend it to form the top, rivet/bolt together (or use magnets or whatever). Having chopped a few cases apart it won't ever look as refined as a custom made case (especially depending on a Dremel) but it is fun. Also look to repaint everything once you're done to cover up the chopped edges..
Ah that is a problem. I remember using such a device in metals shop in high school where you pull the lever to bend the sheet metal, but I have no such tool for bending metal other than perhaps some vice grips, clamps etc. where I can clamp metal to the edge of a workbench and use my own force to bend the metal along the edge of the table.

As for the dremel the last time I cut metal I used some duct tape to create a straight path to follow. Painting itself is the easy relaxing part IMO.

So yeah what I make might not look incredibly refined, but one thing I've noticed with SFF cases is that they oddly cost more than ATX towers. My current ATX tower costed 30 dollars and I used my dremel and glass cutter to create my own side panel window:

The only mistake I made was underestimating the spread of the gorilla glue as I was using it for the first time, but for a first attempt I'd say it looks pretty damn good for a novice 30 dollar case mod.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Ah that is a problem. I remember using such a device in metals shop in high school where you pull the lever to bend the sheet metal, but I have no such tool for bending metal other than perhaps some vice grips, clamps etc. where I can clamp metal to the edge of a workbench and use my own force to bend the metal along the edge of the table.

As for the dremel the last time I cut metal I used some duct tape to create a straight path to follow. Painting itself is the easy relaxing part IMO.

So yeah what I make might not look incredibly refined, but one thing I've noticed with SFF cases is that they oddly cost more than ATX towers. My current ATX tower costed 30 dollars and I used my dremel and glass cutter to create my own side panel window:

The only mistake I made was underestimating the spread of the gorilla glue as I was using it for the first time, but for a first attempt I'd say it looks pretty damn good for a novice 30 dollar case mod.

Haha you make cases like I make them. In the future, I'd suggest filing the edges a little bit smoother and then skipping the gorilla glue. Instead, cut the glass much larger than needed and get some Double Sided Modder's Tape. This is what a lof of pros use to mount their windows and get it looking legit. Also repainting helps hide rough edges, obviously.

If you want to try and make a DIY sheet metal brake you can look at various guides (like this one) or pick one up from Harbor freight. I think that would help make your project much more customizable. Looking forward to pics!

Edit: that guide is really garbage. Check this awesome one out instead: http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.com/2011/11/diy-how-to-bend-aluminium-easy-way-with.html?m=1

Last edited:

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
It has been quite some time, but I'm finally able to present some level of progress with this idea of mine. It's not very refined at all, but what do you think? Magnificent or monstrosity?

Before image of the case I'm cutting down (with dead MB for reference):

Some after images:

Planned use orientation:

With dead MB/GPU for reference:

Some things I still need to do:
-Feet
-More filing
-Windowed side pannel
-Motherboard mounting screws
-PSU mounting holes/screws I purposefully left my options open. Plans are either an HDPLEX 300W or a fully internal SFX whose cable plugs into an outlet attached to the side of the case that requires yet another cord plugged into the wall (if that makes sense).
- Give it a name/ theme.
- Get actual hardware to put in it.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Took a few minutes to find the flaws :) looks really good to my eyes

-Edit-

Can your future blower-style GPU breathe?

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Took a few minutes to find the flaws :) looks really good to my eyes

-Edit-

Can your future blower-style GPU breathe?
I was going for the case to have directional airflow via the 90mm fan mount near the I/O and whatever I can manage to mount to that front mesh pannel. Do you think I should add some kind of mesh on the floor where a blower fan would be? I'm not honestly worried about it for now because I've loved my RX 460 ever since I got it to replace my HD 8350. It could be years before I feel like upgrading GPU at this point.

I'm wondering what kind of theme might compliment the GPU's blue and/or green LEDs. Maybe I can work my "quality" metalworking disadvantage into an advantage by pushing home the "recycling" theme with the green LED. I'd also like to find a sticker with the green AMD emblem. Maybe for good measure I can throw in a tiny Bulbasaur plush or something.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Love to see mods like this! I would suggest some sort of venting for the floor. Maybe two 120mm fan cut outs side by side. Slap a magnetic dust filter on and go. Even if you don't add fans it gives you options and the gpu gets some air. Case feet will give you the lift you need for that also.

I like the green theme idea and you could pull some of AMDs old logos off the net and print your own sticker or magnets. Nice work so far.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I second adding a vent for the GPU, that or some kind of ducting to harness the airflow setup you've got going. And I really dig the whole recycling theme.

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Does anybody know what kind of screw is used to mount a motherboard to the holes in the standoffs? Also I need a screw for mounting a GPU to the bracket.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Does anybody know what kind of screw is used to mount a motherboard to the holes in the standoffs? Also I need a screw for mounting a GPU to the bracket.
I think M3 for the motherboard screws. Graphics Card bracket is the same as the power supply, at least for my case.

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
For case feet I think I'll just buy some for ~3 dollars on Amazon. For the side window I think I'm going to use nuts and bolts.

For the window itself I'm thinking plexiglass. I have glass, but I don't have any way of mounting it. Plexiglass I can...
1. cut down/Drill holes in plexiglass
2. cut down/Adhere bolt inside of the side ledges of the case using my gorilla glue.
3. Paint the edges of the plexiglass so that all of the old side panel mounting structure are out of sight once mounted.
4. Pop it on and fasten with nuts.

I hope the quality of plexiglass isn't bad, but glass is just such a PITA to work with

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
You can cut either material large and adhere it with double sided modders tape

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
You can cut either material large and adhere it with double sided modders tape
I've never heard of anybody using double sided tape to mount a side panel window. How hard would it make it to take the side panel off again? I would have to replace all the tape wouldn't I? I've never used the stuff before so IDK.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I've never heard of anybody using double sided tape to mount a side panel window. How hard would it make it to take the side panel off again? I would have to replace all the tape wouldn't I? I've never used the stuff before so IDK.
I imagine you'd want to replace it after removal, yeah. But AFAIK it's got a sturdy grip. Heard it used around here before. Forgot which thread though :/

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016

Case looking good, nice chop job! Look into getting some 3M 4010 Tape

And check out this video which explains it's use:

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Today I installed some feet to the case. IDK what these things were meant for, they were in a box of screws and bolts and they seem to make nice feet although it does leave the nuts that fasten them on the floor inside the case and I needed to use washers as the threads didn't go all the way to the head of them.

Also as you can see I threw on some smaller nuts and bolts I could possibly use to mount a window. Once I've settled on which bolts I will use I will glue the bolt to the structure where they are in the image above to keep it in place. I hope that goes well.

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
  • I'm now all set on motherboard and GPU mounting screws thanks to the aforementioned box of random bolts and screws. My only concern is if you look at the expansion slots in my post above only one of them has a proper hole for the GPU bracket, I hope that's the exact hole I need otherwise I need to modify those other two oddball holes.

• I'm about to order the clear 12"x12" sheet of plexiglass. What thickness would you recommend? 1/16" inch or 1/8th"?

• Floor venting for the GPU I'm leaning towards finding an existing mesh pattern I can hold up to it and simply use a drill to make the holes.

• My biggest problem by far is PSU type, orientation and mounting. I imagine mounting is going to be much the same as everything else that's not riveted, and that's: nuts and bolts. It would be nice to thread some holes for screws, but I don't have the tools or knowledge of those tools to do that.