Hello.

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
I love the DIY PC community that I joined because of watching all the Tech youtubers.

This seems like the perfect place for me because I would like to replace my big desktop with a laptop and then transform my desktop into an HTPC for the family to use.

The problem is my desktop is an ATX form factor and it's too big. I'm considering getting the Silverstone SG13 that I can fit my Sapphire Nitro RX 460 in.

One problem I see to this case is the limited CPU cooler height because I would have to give up my Cryorig M9i that I'm using to cool my Ivy Bridge i5 3450. I would probably have to replace it with a low profile cooler, but IDK which one.

One thing I can do to improve case exhaust and cooler height limitation is use one of these with an SFX PSU:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BYB33J8/?tag=theminutiae-20

Mar 6, 2017
The SG13 supports water cooling, some people even crammed H80is into theirs. But if you don't want water cooling, the SFX bracket is a great idea. It looks like it will up your CPU cooler height limit to 81mm, but I would measure first.

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
The SG13 supports water cooling, some people even crammed H80is into theirs. But if you don't want water cooling, the SFX bracket is a great idea. It looks like it will up your CPU cooler height limit to 81mm, but I would measure first.
Yeah I'm not really a water cooling guy. Mostly because I rarely overclock.

I'm not sure how much better the Noctua NH-L9x65 is over something like a Cryorig C7, but I do know that it is one option at 65mm tall that wouldn't fit without my SFX PSU bracket idea because with an ATX PSU the SG13 only claims 61mm cooler height.

Considering when is the right time to go about such a project. It would give me a great excuse to try a Ryzen CPU.

Another possibility is since this is an HTPC build I could wait until the end of this year for the Raven Ridge APUs, but I'm not sure what a good case is for a build consisting of solely an APU.

Mar 6, 2017
If all you want is an APU and no expansion board, and don't mind an external brick, the mini-box M350 may be a good choice if your power requirements fall under 160W

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
If all you want is an APU and no expansion board, and don't mind an external brick, the mini-box M350 may be a good choice if your power requirements fall under 160W
Part of my dilemma is I don't like the idea of a power brick. so I guess that's why I'm better off with a discrete GPU. I could try something like the Silverstone ML09 which is about 7 Liters volume if I were willing to get a low-profile GPU. Or perhaps the more expensive Zaber Sentry that I could use my full size GPU in which is also 7 Liters volume.

So so many options.

Hi and welcome ! If you like watching tech on the 'toobs, be sure to check @Josh | NFC 's videos, they are amazing quality ! Also @Aibohphobia and @confusis are doing streams regularly related to case design.
Cool. Where can I watch these streams? I was actually already subbed to Josh purely by chance from watching his video on the Vapor Chamber cooler.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
If you want to ease yourself into SFF, get the 19.5L ITX Fractal Core 500.

It just barely squeaks by a SFF qualification, but it's a good (and cheap) way to get an idea of how much smaller your rig could be before going all in with something half it's size (or less).

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
There's 2 issues here. First, a Cryorig M9i wouldn't be necessary for an i5 at stock speeds. If you're not overclocking you can even use just the Intel stock cooler which comes with the CPU and is perfectly adequate.

Second, the SG13 is more designed for a full ATX PSU in combination with an all-in-one (AIO) water cooler such as a Corsair H60, so I would strongly suggest looking into a reputable AIO cooler.

However, if you insist on air cooling there is an alternative to the SG13 which is the older, original SG05. Both cases have the same outer dimensions, but the SG05 supports SFX PSUs only and has a higher mounting point, allowing 20mm more cooler clearance.

Ultimately the SFX PSU and SG05 will cost just as much, perform worse, and will be harder to come by. That's why I would first suggest a SG13, ATX PSU, and AIO cooler.