SFF.Network [SFF Network] Lian Li is on a Boat

First up, apologies for the ancient pop culture reference in the title.

Lian-Li tends to produce a wacky product every few years. A while back, the the PC-CK101 puffed on to the scene, a train themed M-ITX chassis that had many of us scratching our heads in confusion.

We've only just caught wind of this interesting enclosure that continues the trend, an all-aluminium yacht-like design, the PC-Y6. The design is certain to make waves, and while this case is rather large (58 litres based on box dimensions), it is very unique, and it should be able to sail into history as another amazing tech demo from the company. This will certainly anchor Lian Li's place in the desktop enclosure landscape.

Read more here.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
All hands were on deck for that article - thanks PlayfulPhoenix for some of the nautical humour.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
For the yacht-owning and yacht-dreaming consumer, natch. Although those LED "party lights" tend to ruin the aesthetic for the true connoisseur.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
There's no ocean to deep for the useless crap Lian-Li spews out, while they have yet to build a really well-designed (not aesthetically) case. It will go excellent with my premium cigar humidor and tourbillon watch display case. Oh wait, my life as a billionair excludes me from having time for this peasantry as my real yacht has 3 lingerie models on-deck.

Reactions: jØrd

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
There's actually something very interesting about this case. The picture of the PCIe riser:

This is not the same riser as the one in the build pictures from the article, and seems to be either a variation of the 3M riser or a new riser from LiHeat (presumably with cabling technology from 3M). It is unprobable that they would specifically show this on the product page if it wasn't included in the box, so either LiHeat is getting their game on in terms of quality or Lian Li is not on good terms with them anymore and switched supplier. Either way, it's extremely interesting to see, as dumb as the case itself might be.

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
Ha. Someone spotted the new risers. Dan might know more about them, but he is not talking. They are better, stronger, and just as expensive.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm more curious about that standing desk case, although it will probably cost a few thousand dorru.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The Dk-03 already costs 1,300€, so with the motorised height adjustment, it could easily go above 2,000.

I asked LiHeat about the riser on th PC-Y6, and they did NOT produce the one found on the product page, so it seems like LianLi turned to 3M for this one.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Just an idea: Ikea sells decent (at first sight) motorized desks for 599 euro, so one could "easily" custom-make your own desk case for less than the Lian-Li. Also true for the DK-03 but I never thought that was a good design, it reminded me too much of a cramped school desk.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
My main beef with case-desks is ergonomic: with a desk that thick, it's very difficult to fit your legs underneath while still allowing your elbows to rest on the desktop at a comfortable height.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yes, that's my main gripe as well. I feel like the approach of making the whole desk surface the case is inherently flawed, just like you said. But there are better solutions, where you elevate the part of the desk your monitor sits on, or put the computer inside the space where the top drawer of the cabinet would normally be.

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
I never did get a chance to sit at this new desk, but I liked to 03 to sit at. Desks are an odd thing, Its more a form over function and showing off the parts deal. A proper desk chassis combo would have a tower case as on leg of the desk and be done. But that is boring.