SFF.Network [SFF Network] Intel Z170 motherboards launch

Intel’s new Skylake platform partially launches today, starting at the high-end with two new CPUs (the i7-6700K and i5-6600K) and new motherboards based on the Z170 chipset. The rest of the CPU lineup and the other motherboard chipsets will be released at a later date.

Read more here

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015

Nice spotting that! M.2 WiFi cards will be defacto soon, so they'd be better for future upgradeability (802.11ad/ae/ax as well as MU-MIMO). That will allow for better compatibility with IoT devices and such. I'm still going to presume they routed only a single PCI-e lane to it, so not sure if it would be able to take full advantage of 802.11ad/ax.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
So is future proofing the reason you want M.2 over MPCIe for the wifi card then? I was a bit confused, I didn't think WiFi could saturate a PCIe lane quite yet. I don't see why the slot wouldn't be routed for 2 PCIe lanes, though, since 2 lanes is a requirement.

If you're worried about how lanes are routed, though. Is there a chance the mini-SAS connector on the board might only be routed for 2 lanes since that's all SATA Express uses?

Speaking of mini-SAS connectors, though. I am somewhat wondering why nobody ever replaces their stack of SATA connectors with a Mini-SAS connector and ship a mini-SAS to 4x SATA cable to save board space.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
The purpose of that U.2 port is for connectivity on drives like the Intel 750 series, so it will be PCI-E 3.0 x4.

It's best to refer to it as U.2, because although it is a SFF-8643 connector, it doesn't quite work the same way. You couldn't actually use it as a mini-SAS to connect multiple sata/sas drives - at least not based on my understanding.

- No USB 2.0 header or rear I/O.
- No Trusted Platform Module (TPM) support, so BitLocker is out of the picture.
- Only two on-board fan headers...you'll need to buy the optional fan extension to get additional fan connectivity from the motherboard.
- No dedicated water pump fan header as the other Maximus motherboards have.
- Only 2x2 WiFi module when other top-of-the-line ASUS motherboards have 3x3.
- The WiFi module is most likely a mPCIe card and not an M.2 card.
- TBD on the M.2 connectivity, but hopefully there is one on the back.

Going to address each point in order, below.

-Why do you want USB 2.0? EHCI was dropped in Skylake/Sunrise Point, there will be no true USB 2.0 compatibility for devices, and there are workarounds for installing Win7 through USB drives on 3.0 - primarily injecting 3.0 drivers into the WIM.

-Fair enough on TPM.

-True, but you can use fan splitters unless you need to fine tune every single fan you are connecting to a different curve.

-This isn't a reasonable expectation. On a mini-ITX board where space is at a premium, a dedicated pump header makes no sense, especially since it's really just another PWM fan header with another name.

-Agreed. 3x3 or don't bother at all.

-It's already been confirmed it's M.2 WIFI, but I'll reiterate that here.

-Upon consideration and review, there is actually a decent chance of M.2 on the back - the reverse screwmount could be positioned underneath the audio board, hidden from our view. Hopefully that is in fact the case. M.2 has the distinct advantage of no additional cabling, which can be crucial in some mITX builds.

--

Personally, as I have no use for WIFI I'd like to have seen that removed to provide more USB ports. Hopefully the audio solution justifies the space it occupies - Asus seems particularly proud of the solution they've provided this gen, between the Sabre (ESS) DAC and other features (both software and hardware). Not particularly useful to me already having a NuPrime uDSD though.

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It's best to refer to it as U.2, because although it is a SFF-8643 connector, it doesn't quite work the same way. You couldn't actually use it as a mini-SAS to connect multiple sata/sas drives - at least not based on my understanding.
It's an awkward situation: the drive-side connector is the u.2 connector. The board-side connector is not defined as part of the u.2 standard. SFF-8643 is being used by everyone so far because it works, but theoretically someone could terminate a cable unto an m.2 card, or some custom plug, and it would still be 'u.2'. If/when OCuLink becomes part of the PCIe standard, that will probably end up as either the end terminator for u.2, or replace u.2 entirely (depending on the expense of the connector, it may be cheaper to keep using u.2 on the drive side in it's encapsulated-card-edge version).

Hopefully there is an m.2 slot on the back, but having the screwhole under the audio card would place the m.2 card perilously close to the CPU backplate keepout area (if not impinging into it altogether).

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
The purpose of that U.2 port is for connectivity on drives like the Intel 750 series, so it will be PCI-E 3.0 x4.

My understanding was that U.2 referred to the device end plug (SFF_8639).
As for being able to use it as a mini-SAS, I think that depends on implementation. It's certainly possible to connect it to both PCIe and SATA/SAS ports, at least per the SAS standard, and choose to connect either 4 standard drives or 1 PCIe drive, though not a requirement to have both options. I do agree it's likely they didn't include 4 SATA ports on that plug.

If they are going with the full 4 PCIe lane rather than just using it because STA express takes up entirely too much room, that is good.
Personally, I don't see a huge reason for that host side SATA Express plug to have ever existed, it's bulky and only carries 2 lanes, and since you need new connectors and cables anyways there's no reason not to switch to something else, in the space boards have 2 SATA-Express and a few more standard connectors, you could easily put a pair of mini-SAS connectors and still have the 2 PCIe ports but with 4 lanes each and 8 SATA ports. The only downside is you'd have to use a Mini-SAS to 4x SAS/SATA rather than standard SATA cables, but those are easy to find, and they tend to stick drive cables in the motherboard box anyways.

-Why do you want USB 2.0? EHCI was dropped in Skylake/Sunrise Point, there will be no true USB 2.0 compatibility for devices, and there are workarounds for installing Win7 through USB drives on 3.0 - primarily injecting 3.0 drivers into the WIM.
A lack of more USB headers might still be disappointing, though I agree you might as well have USB3 instead of 2 for external ports. For internal devices, though, USB2 is still good to have, because there are some things that connect to a USB header.
-True, but you can use fan splitters unless you need to fine tune every single fan you are connecting to a different curve.
-This isn't a reasonable expectation. On a mini-ITX board where space is at a premium, a dedicated pump header makes no sense, especially since it's really just another PWM fan header with another name.
I agree you don't need MORE fan ports, due to splitters, but it's not a bad idea to have one of the two able to carry more current for pumps.

Personally, as I have no use for WIFI I'd like to have seen that removed to provide more USB ports. Hopefully the audio solution justifies the space it occupies - Asus seems particularly proud of the solution they've provided this gen, between the Sabre (ESS) DAC and other features (both software and hardware). Not particularly useful to me already having a NuPrime uDSD though.
WiFi is a good OPTION to have at least. Small PCs are more likely to be used as portable machines which makes wireless stuff more useful.
If anything's in the way, I'd say it's the Mini-SAS connector. If that were elsewhere, they could have moved the USB3.0 and LAN connector to that spot and been able to do what they did with the VII Impact where there was a riser for an M.2 drive and the WiFi module.

Absolutely packed boards like this, though make me start wishing the industry might start moving to SO-DIMMs and that the ATX power connector came in a smaller package

It's an awkward situation: the drive-side connector is the u.2 connector. The board-side connector is not defined as part of the u.2 standard. SFF-8643 is being used by everyone so far because it works, but theoretically someone could terminate a cable unto an m.2 card, or some custom plug, and it would still be 'u.2'. If/when OCuLink becomes part of the PCIe standard, that will probably end up as either the end terminator for u.2, or replace u.2 entirely (depending on the expense of the connector, it may be cheaper to keep using u.2 on the drive side in it's encapsulated-card-edge version).
I believe the use of SFF-8643 is also specifically called for by SCSI Express, though that may mostly be for backwards compatibility reasons to run SAS/SATA over the cable as an option since the drive side connector can also carry PCIe, SAS (and Multilink SAS), and SATA. The SATA Express is working under similar principles given the host side connector containing 2 SATA ports.

Replacing the host side connector with OCuLink might make some sense, though I am not convinced the drive-side connector would be replaced since it would harm cross compatibility which is especially problematic in the enterprise space where drives are usually connected to a backplane rather than individual cables. A backplane with U.2 can also carry SAS and SATA drives, a backplane with something like OCuLink would not, and for that to work as a backplane in the first place, the connector position would need to be fixed in a standardized spot.

Last edited:

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Hmm, interesting clarification that it's just the drive side/SFF8639 portion being called U.2.

Asus has already taken to referring to it as a U.2 port boardside, regardless - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-EXTREME/

I suspect others will, too, rather than SFF 8643 or mini-SAS. If this is only a temporary measure until another port is devised such as oculink, perhaps waiting until Kaby Lake to see if things are fleshed out is a good idea...

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Well the whole reason the name U.2 came about was to make it more relatable for consumers. SFF-8639 is a mouthful for consumers, so they gave it a name that relates to the M.2 interface for SSDs. I'm sure calling the host side Mini-SAS or SFF-8643 would confuse buyers giving them the wrong impression about the capabilities with the former, and the latter not meaning anything to most.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
So is future proofing the reason you want M.2 over MPCIe for the wifi card then? I was a bit confused, I didn't think WiFi could saturate a PCIe lane quite yet. I don't see why the slot wouldn't be routed for 2 PCIe lanes, though, since 2 lanes is a requirement.

If you're worried about how lanes are routed, though. Is there a chance the mini-SAS connector on the board might only be routed for 2 lanes since that's all SATA Express uses?

Yep, futureproofing is pretty much it. While 802.11ac cannot saturate 1 PCI-e lane, currently, 802.11ad (60GHz) and 802.11ax (next generation ac currently testing at >10GHz in lab and >4GHz outside, expected in 2017/2018 timeframe) will get over the bandwidth a single lane can provide.

The Mini-SAS port will most likely have 4 lanes going to it. I'd be very surprised if they reduced it to 2.

Right, there is no SAS controller on the board, so it doesn't support SAS or SCSI Express drives.

xHCI is taking over for EHCI. The only things truly affected by this are Windows 7, earlier Linux releases, and USB devices that explicitly use the EHCI driver to negotiate power, timing, and other features like DAC's (you have the NuPrime uDSD and I have the Centrance DACport that are affected by this). But USB 2.0 has a very long life ahead of it. DisplayPort 1.2 implements it and the new USB Type-C connectors have pins dedicated for USB 2.0. USB 3.1 (Gen 1 & 2), DisplayPort, HDMI, MHL, Thunderbolt, and any other protocol will run on the high speed data path on the outside while the center pins will still be USB 2.0 irregardless. They will just be supported by the xHCI driver, instead.

I like to tune the fans to minimize the noise. Also, if you recall, the Maximus VII Impact had a daughter card mounted on the board which had two fan headers on it...now they are making you buy a separate card for this.

I agree you don't need MORE fan ports, due to splitters, but it's not a bad idea to have one of the two able to carry more current for pumps.

Yes...okay let me rephase what I said. It'd be nice to see functionality for headers dedicated for waterpumps. It could be a BIOS option, for all I care. And again, lack of fan headers to begin with...

Everything I see on OCuLink is that it is another external connector. What would be slick is if they replaced all of these internal cables to USB Type-C connectors (and do the same for the external I/O, too).

Hopefully there is an m.2 slot on the back, but having the screwhole under the audio card would place the m.2 card perilously close to the CPU backplate keepout area (if not impinging into it altogether).

Actually, that's right around where it is on my Z97I-Plus.

My understanding was that U.2 referred to the device end plug (SFF_8639).

As for being able to use it as a mini-SAS, I think that depends on implementation. It's certainly possible to connect it to both PCIe and SATA/SAS ports, at least per the SAS standard, and choose to connect either 4 standard drives or 1 PCIe drive, though not a requirement to have both options. I do agree it's likely they didn't include 4 SATA ports on that plug.

That is for the SAS arrangement only.

If they are going with the full 4 PCIe lane rather than just using it because STA express takes up entirely too much room, that is good.
Personally, I don't see a huge reason for that host side SATA Express plug to have ever existed, it's bulky and only carries 2 lanes, and since you need new connectors and cables anyways there's no reason not to switch to something else, in the space boards have 2 SATA-Express and a few more standard connectors, you could easily put a pair of mini-SAS connectors and still have the 2 PCIe ports but with 4 lanes each and 8 SATA ports. The only downside is you'd have to use a Mini-SAS to 4x SAS/SATA rather than standard SATA cables, but those are easy to find, and they tend to stick drive cables in the motherboard box anyways.

SATA Express was DOA. The only widely available consumer devices I've seen use the SATA Express connector are the USB 3.1 Gen. 2 front panel connectors that have a lot of protocol overhead on them.

A lack of more USB headers might still be disappointing, though I agree you might as well have USB3 instead of 2 for external ports. For internal devices, though, USB2 is still good to have, because there are some things that connect to a USB header.

Yes, many things use the USB 2.0 header and, as I stated above, it's not dead, just supported by a different driver.

WiFi is a good OPTION to have at least. Small PCs are more likely to be used as portable machines which makes wireless stuff more useful.

Soft Access Points are another feature useful for WiFi. The WiFi cards may also support BlueTooth (and hopefully they'll start supporting other protocols like Zigbee, Z-Wave, and 802.11ae) to support peripherals, IoT devices, phones, etc.

If anything's in the way, I'd say it's the Mini-SAS connector. If that were elsewhere, they could have moved the USB3.0 and LAN connector to that spot and been able to do what they did with the VII Impact where there was a riser for an M.2 drive and the WiFi module.

With the amount of I/O Z170 supports, it can easily fill up the rear I/O panel.

Absolutely packed boards like this, though make me start wishing the industry might start moving to SO-DIMMs and that the ATX power connector came in a smaller package

Intel, and probably only Intel, could lead a change like this. With the direction they are pushing the get smaller motherboards, it wouldn't be surprising to see something like this in the future. But there is a lot built up around the ATX connectors. Perhaps someone will do an intermediary that has a small connector on the board and flexible connector go to the standard ATX connector (which obviously could be modded to go directly to a modular PSU).

I believe the use of SFF-8643 is also specifically called for by SCSI Express, though that may mostly be for backwards compatibility reasons to run SAS/SATA over the cable as an option since the drive side connector can also carry PCIe, SAS (and Multilink SAS), and SATA. The SATA Express is working under similar principles given the host side connector containing 2 SATA ports.

SFF-8643 is only the connector. SCSI Express may specify the connector type as being SFF-8643, but it also has the electrical specifications as well.

Hmm, interesting clarification that it's just the drive side/SFF8639 portion being called U.2.

Asus has already taken to referring to it as a U.2 port boardside, regardless - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-EXTREME/

I suspect others will, too, rather than SFF 8643 or mini-SAS. If this is only a temporary measure until another port is devised such as oculink, perhaps waiting until Kaby Lake to see if things are fleshed out is a good idea...

Well the whole reason the name U.2 came about was to make it more relatable for consumers. SFF-8639 is a mouthful for consumers, so they gave it a name that relates to the M.2 interface for SSDs. I'm sure calling the host side Mini-SAS or SFF-8643 would confuse buyers giving them the wrong impression about the capabilities with the former, and the latter not meaning anything to most.

I guess it will become standard parlance to refer to it as a U.2 connector. Definitely easier to refer to it as that. But it will become confusing if they decide to change up any of the connectors where we then have to start referring to it as a U.2-XXXXXXX connection.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Yes...okay let me rephase what I said. It'd be nice to see functionality for headers dedicated for waterpumps. It could be a BIOS option, for all I care. And again, lack of fan headers to begin with...
Well my thought was to have a CPU header and a case fan header and let you set one of them to high current in the BIOS

That is for the SAS arrangement only.
Yes, but Is there anything from stopping an arrangement that connects 4 SATA ports and 4 PCIe lanes to a connector and using whichever the drive(s) need? SATA Express is multiplexed, so it's not new or unusual.

SATA Express was DOA. The only widely available consumer devices I've seen use the SATA Express connector are the USB 3.1 Gen. 2 front panel connectors that have a lot of protocol overhead on them.
Huh, can't say I've seen those. I think part of the reason SATA Express was DOA was that SSDs pretty much just blew by the speeds offered by 2 PCIe lanes (SATA Express was somewhat reactionary after companies had already started making SSDs as PCIe expansion cards), and for lower capacity drives (using less chips) M.2 made more sense than using up a drive bay, and slower, cheaper drives just stayed on SATA that everyone already had.

With the amount of I/O Z170 supports, it can easily fill up the rear I/O panel.
I was referring more to the fact the Mini-SAS port is inside the space used by the rear panel and,thus there's a void there.

Intel, and probably only Intel, could lead a change like this. With the direction they are pushing the get smaller motherboards, it wouldn't be surprising to see something like this in the future. But there is a lot built up around the ATX connectors. Perhaps someone will do an intermediary that has a small connector on the board and flexible connector go to the standard ATX connector (which obviously could be modded to go directly to a modular PSU).
Maybe. The power connector issue would likely be a consortium of board manufacturers rather than just Intel to be honest. It also doesn't have to happen overnight. When we switched from AT to ATX, for a few years Baby AT boards came with power connectors for At and ATX, and power supplies often had connectors for both form factors. There was a lot built up around AT at the time as well (though I will admit, the market seemed to be less adverse to new and changing standards replacing old ones), and there's plenty of examples of old and new interfaces coexisting, the latest would be boards with an M.2 slot for SSDs but still a mini-PCIe for wireless modules, but there's been coexistance of old and new drive connectors (switching from PATA to SATA) and expansion card slots (the first PCIe boards had PCI and even sometimes AGP slots, and PCI coexisted with ISA for a time before that). Hell I STILL see 20+4 ATX connectors every once and a while but I can't remember that last time I saw a 20 pin socket on a motherboard.

Thin Mini-ATX already uses a 2 pin 19VDC connector with the requirement the motherboard converts 3.3 and 5V onboard for as many drives as it has. Obviously larger boards might need a few more wires, especially if the chosen voltage were something like 12V, and you might see some status and control lines.

As for SO-DIMMs, ddr4 SO-DIMMs are already on the market for laptop use, it may be an "if you build it they will come" scenario waiting for a mainstream, mid to high end motherboard option to use them as well.

I guess it will become standard parlance to refer to it as a U.2 connector. Definitely easier to refer to it as that. But it will become confusing if they decide to change up any of the connectors where we then have to start referring to it as a U.2-XXXXXXX connection.
Can't be any more confusing than the variety of M.2 options (4 keys currently in use, with a half dozen others specified, and a large range of sizes in all three dimensions) at present can it. besides, they'd probably just call a replacement for U.2, V.2 or something.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Huh, can't say I've seen those. I think part of the reason SATA Express was DOA was that SSDs pretty much just blew by the speeds offered by 2 PCIe lanes (SATA Express was somewhat reactionary after companies had already started making SSDs as PCIe expansion cards), and for lower capacity drives (using less chips) M.2 made more sense than using up a drive bay, and slower, cheaper drives just stayed on SATA that everyone already had.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...z170-motherboards-launch.184/page-2#post-2853

Post contains a video clip of Asus mentioning said 5.25" bay.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Well my thought was to have a CPU header and a case fan header and let you set one of them to high current in the BIOS

Yep, that's what I was trying to say...you said it a little more clearly than I.

Yes, but Is there anything from stopping an arrangement that connects 4 SATA ports and 4 PCIe lanes to a connector and using whichever the drive(s) need? SATA Express is multiplexed, so it's not new or unusual.

I believe you could...I'd have to look at the technical spec to see if this is doable. If you use HSIO lanes 19-22, they can be configured as either PCI-e or SATA; whether or not they can be rapidly switched between the two, I don't know. Obviously, there would have to be a cable that would split out the SATA.

ASROCK has one: http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/card.us.asp?Model=Front USB 3.1 Panel

ASUS also has one with two Type-C connectors (split bandwidth?): http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-usb3.1-gen2-front-panel,29901.html

Yeah, NGFF, which became M.2, sort of put a very early end to SATA Express.

I was referring more to the fact the Mini-SAS port is inside the space used by the rear panel and,thus there's a void there.

Yep, I was just adding on that there is a lot of I/O that can potentially be exposed on the rear I/O panel, so that space is at a premium.

Maybe. The power connector issue would likely be a consortium of board manufacturers rather than just Intel to be honest. It also doesn't have to happen overnight. When we switched from AT to ATX, for a few years Baby AT boards came with power connectors for At and ATX, and power supplies often had connectors for both form factors. There was a lot built up around AT at the time as well (though I will admit, the market seemed to be less adverse to new and changing standards replacing old ones), and there's plenty of examples of old and new interfaces coexisting, the latest would be boards with an M.2 slot for SSDs but still a mini-PCIe for wireless modules, but there's been coexistance of old and new drive connectors (switching from PATA to SATA) and expansion card slots (the first PCIe boards had PCI and even sometimes AGP slots, and PCI coexisted with ISA for a time before that). Hell I STILL see 20+4 ATX connectors every once and a while but I can't remember that last time I saw a 20 pin socket on a motherboard.

Thin Mini-ATX already uses a 2 pin 19VDC connector with the requirement the motherboard converts 3.3 and 5V onboard for as many drives as it has. Obviously larger boards might need a few more wires, especially if the chosen voltage were something like 12V, and you might see some status and control lines.

As for SO-DIMMs, ddr4 SO-DIMMs are already on the market for laptop use, it may be an "if you build it they will come" scenario waiting for a mainstream, mid to high end motherboard option to use them as well.

Yeah, many paths to getting adoption. Intel lately has been just doing the brute force route where they create it and then get buy-in from the community. They have been doing this with motherboard sizes and storage sizes (hello M.2 http://www.anandtech.com/show/6293/...end-to-proprietary-ultrabook-ssd-form-factors).
Can't be any more confusing than the variety of M.2 options (4 keys currently in use, with a half dozen others specified, and a large range of sizes in all three dimensions) at present can it. besides, they'd probably just call a replacement for U.2, V.2 or something.
Very true...I've definitely seen confusion there.

Reactions: veryrarium

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
xHCI is taking over for EHCI. The only things truly affected by this are Windows 7, earlier Linux releases, and USB devices that explicitly use the EHCI driver to negotiate power, timing, and other features like DAC's (you have the NuPrime uDSD and I have the Centrance DACport that are affected by this). But USB 2.0 has a very long life ahead of it. DisplayPort 1.2 implements it and the new USB Type-C connectors have pins dedicated for USB 2.0. USB 3.1 (Gen 1 & 2), DisplayPort, HDMI, MHL, Thunderbolt, and any other protocol will run on the high speed data path on the outside while the center pins will still be USB 2.0 irregardless. They will just be supported by the xHCI driver, instead.

Finally a good sheet describing the pinout of the C-Type connector. The ones I found so far were absolutely useless. I'm pretty sure they will be a few devices like wireless mouse receivers that will use a C connector with nothing but USB 2.0.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Everything I see on OCuLink is that it is another external connector. What would be slick is if they replaced all of these internal cables to USB Type-C connectors (and do the same for the external I/O, too).
Did some poking around and found this

Looks like they do want to use it for internal functions as well. Storage stuff is shown, though I still have my doubts it will be used as a drive connector (at least in the short term) for reasons mentioned earlier (backplanes and cross compatibility. Both driven by enterprise use, and the PCIe SSDs that mount to a drive bay so far are essentially consumer versions of enterprise drives while most consumers are moving to M.2). Now what would be interesting is being able to use OCuLink to mount an expansion card somewhere other than the standard expansion slot without having to use fancy risers (maybe these could replace the ribbon cables of flexible risers?)

Reactions: |||

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
If OCuLink can handle acting as a mezzanine connector it could replace the PCIe 'slot' altogether. Might be a bit weeny for that sort of physical load through. Maybe twin the connector itself with a parallel load-bearing element, so you can either connect a card directly or add a cable as a 'riser'.
Though we probably wont be rid of card-edge interfaces anytime soon; far too cheap to manufacture to give up.