SFF.Network [SFF Network] ASRock Z170M-PIO2 Motherboard Announced

The PIO (Parts-In-One, basically a DIY All-In-One) motherboard form factor is still fairly rare, but over the last year or so several models from various manufacturers have popped up, at least in pictures and product pages. All the PIO boards so far (that I'm aware of) have used the lower-end Intel chipsets, but ASRock now has an enthusiast option utilizing the Z170 PCH with the new Z170M-PIO2.

Read more here.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I know I'm being nitpicky here, but they really couldn't do this on a mini ITX set of specifications? 21.1cm x 20.3cm is almost 1.5x the area of an mITX board. With all that extra space they haven't even added any significant functionality other than the PCIe slot.

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
I know I'm being nitpicky here, but they really couldn't do this on a mini ITX set of specifications? 21.1cm x 20.3cm is almost 1.5x the area of an mITX board. With all that extra space they haven't even added any significant functionality other than the PCIe slot.

Playing Devil's advocate, it may be a lot cheaper for them to use a M-ATX form factor, especially if they can re-use the PCB or save money by using very similar components/tooling of a PIO motherboard meant for OEMs.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I don't know much about the dtx format, but is it because the bottom of the GPU bracket would interfere with the IO plate, the dtx format allows them to move the slot away from the IO to give enough clearance?

Edit: AsRock now now have 3 of these models available, this Z170, a B150 and a H110 version, only problem is I've not seen sny of them for sale anywhere!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I don't know much about the dtx format, but is it because the bottom of the GPU bracket would interfere with the IO plate, the dtx format allows them to move the slot away from the IO to give enough clearance?

This ain't DTX. DTX is just ITX with a second slot and much longer, look at shuttle barebones for an approximation of the dimensions. This board is closer to a small mATX board.

Playing Devil's advocate, it may be a lot cheaper for them to use a M-ATX form factor, especially if they can re-use the PCB or save money by using very similar components/tooling of a PIO motherboard meant for OEMs.

I don't think they can do any of the sorts, but they can probably save a layer or two and make routing easier, so they'd save cost that way.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Extenderless console-size gaming PCs, so close yet so far. For some project cases with the PCIe extenders being an issue, this is the answer. Just not one that's sure enough to bet on though.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com

There is no mention of form factor in the news article. I assumed it was mITX. This uDTX form factor broke my heart. Maybe next year.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There is no mention of form factor in the news article. I assumed it was mITX. This uDTX form factor broke my heart. Maybe next year.

What difference does it make though? To take advantage of these type of boards requires a custom case anyway.

Reactions: K888D

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
My feelings were it was unnecessarily large. 50% more real estate than a standard mITX board certainly makes for a significantly larger footprint, and for someone whose primary interest as an enthusiast is to pack the most power/efficiency into the smallest envelope possible, that extra space is kind of a deal breaker. I presume Runamok 81 feels the same. From AsRock's perspective, I get that the increased size likely allowed them to simplify construction and drop costs all while still meeting their core market's needs. Really it's just disappointing from the "I'd like to build something cool and extra small with this" perspective.

Reactions: Runamok81

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
What difference does it make though? To take advantage of these type of boards requires a custom case anyway.

Given that this form factor is relatively new, perhaps ASRock is also planning to release a barebones system with a VESA-mounted case like the DeskMini 110. And only when more PIO compatible cases become available could the form factor gather momentum in the custom PC market.

It can also carve a new niche for custom case builders as the boutique ITX cases are becoming more and more.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
To correct the DTX related misunderstandings above;

M-DTX (ITX width, two slots)

DTX (M-DTX length; 2 slots; M-ATX width

Reactions: Phuncz

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Source - ASRock Z170m-PIO2 = 203mm x 211mm = uDTX.

AFAIK, this form factor is not defined anywhere, yet. Not in the ATX spec. Not on Wikipedia.
From the name we can get that u = µ = Micro.
So, best name for this new spec is Micro DTX.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's the same problem with mATX: Micro ATX or Mini ATX ? Because mITX = Mini ITX. Some people say uATX or µATX for MicroATX which is correct. I always use mATX just out of habbit.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It's the same problem with mATX: Micro ATX or Mini ATX ? Because mITX = Mini ITX. Some people say uATX or µATX for MicroATX which is correct. I always use mATX just out of habbit.

µATX is the logical choice, but a lot of people don't have µ as a letter on their keyboards. With a lower case m, mITX should actually be Milli-ITX.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
It's not like there's much ambiguity, though. Mini-ATX is a depreciated standard, so it's unlikely to be referred to except in a historical context.