SFF.Network [SFF Network] Gigabyte Launches New Server M-ITX Board

GIGABYTE Technology, today launched its new lineup of motherboards based on the new Intel® C230 series chipset family. Supporting the new Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 V5 product family (former codename Greenlow), this new lineup includes at launch two workstation motherboards and two server motherboards.

Read more here.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Interesting board for Virtual Machine lab or a home server. The NVMe U.2 support is a nice addition.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I can see it's uses as a tiny Virtual Machine system. Or add in a dual/quad ethernet card on a 90 degree riser and build a small pfsense or alternative router.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nope sorry, not allowed to talk about it !

Just kidding ofcourse :D They are indeed amazingly low-profile, but it seems moot on this board considering the USB 3.0 port cluster to the right is a lot higher and the RAM + battery don't help on the inside either. But interesting nonetheless.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I agree, but we may yet still see something with an M.2 so there is hope yet.

I would have preferred a Xeon for the same reason, but it looks like even had I waited it would not have mattered.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Yes, just make sure the PicoPSU and the Power Adapter (Brick) are sufficient power for all the things you want to connect, not just the CPU.

Also keep in mind they are limited on connections, so if you are connecting a lot of drives for example, you are going to have to splice connectors.