SFF.Network Laptop Launch Extravaganza!

Earlier this week, the rest of Intel's 300 series of chipsets and a few related mobile processors were released, meaning every man and his dog has updated their existing lineup, or launched new products based on the new chips. Here's a roundup of some of the more interesting laptop-related tidbits, in no particular order;

Read more here.

ChairmanDev

Trash Compacter
Jul 11, 2017
I think the most surprising part of these new products is that the XPS 15 is getting the 8950HK. Absolutely wild to get a cpu like that in something as thin as that laptop. Very curious to see how thermals are across the board with these new 6 cores.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I'm gonna guess it will not boost very much, especially considering how the desktop chips perform. My 15.6 Xiaomi is running the 8550u which is listed as a 15w chip, but if you want to hit the 4.0ghz boost consistently you need to go into XTU and bump it up to 40-45w. Then you're hitting the limits and getting some thermal throttling. I'm pretty sure the 6 cores will be the same way.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm curious about the power consumption, which affects heat output (thus noise) and battery life. Because desktop Coffee Lake also proved that the power consumption isn't in the vicinity of the TDP anymore with heavy loads.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I guess I can trow my old 2 core i7 notebook in the trash now

but jokes aside, this is really impressive. this notebooks are getting way better than I expected when I got my desktop i7 (the 4790)
gotta thanks ryzen for the push but oh boy, I wish AMD had some launches like these.

Does'nt matter what is moving intel right now, they are doing a great job indeed

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I guess I can trow my old 2 core i7 notebook in the trash now

but jokes aside, this is really impressive. this notebooks are getting way better than I expected when I got my desktop i7 (the 4790)
gotta thanks ryzen for the push but oh boy, I wish AMD had some launches like these.

Does'nt matter what is moving intel right now, only the more expensive HQ and HK series had 4 cores, they are doing a great job indeed
Intel was milking that dual core i3 to i7 lineup far too long now, only the HK and HQ series had 4 cores. The new H-series CPUs will be for $900+ laptops, considering the price of the CPU alone is about $400 for an OEM. Intel is being clever in hiding the fact those 2 extra cores consume a lot of extra power (around 50% obviously) and most laptops can't sustain that 70W chunk of heat for long, along with a GPU if gaming.

If you're wondering why there aren't more AMD laptops, apparently manufacturers don't think we want choice: https://fudzilla.com/news/notebooks/45939-amd-ryzen-mobile-won-t-score-flagship-design-win

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's much better ergonomically. To me it's weird that almost all laptops have a touch pad in front of the keyboard. A desktop has keyboard and mouse side by side, because that's how it's supposed to be used. Most gaming laptops are also used with a seperate mouse mainly.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
It's much better ergonomically. To me it's weird that almost all laptops have a touch pad in front of the keyboard. A desktop has keyboard and mouse side by side, because that's how it's supposed to be used. Most gaming laptops are also used with a seperate mouse mainly.

I disagree lol. Most of the times, I use the laptop on my lap, not in a table. So the space in front of the keyboard is essential for me to rest my wrists on, while typing or gaming...

Reactions: Phuncz