SFF.Network [SFF Network] Intel Z170 motherboards launch

Intel’s new Skylake platform partially launches today, starting at the high-end with two new CPUs (the i7-6700K and i5-6600K) and new motherboards based on the Z170 chipset. The rest of the CPU lineup and the other motherboard chipsets will be released at a later date.

Read more here

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I'd rather have a nice effective copper pin-grid than the fancy-looking but less effective aluminium extrusion on the Fatality version.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
I would agree with EdZ on the pin-grid part for preferring a heatsink with more effective heat transfer over ones with mostly flat surface, but I have doubts that those chipset heatsinks on Z170M-ITXac, Z170M Pro4, and Z170M Pro4S are made of copper.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
They'll be anodised aluminium much like most current heatsinks.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Modern Intel chipsets generate so little heat I don't think it much matters.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You'd think they would, with possibly 20 PCIe 3.0 lanes going through that sucker. Nonetheless, it still amazes me no brand has gone and done a all-performance with zero tackyness board. I'd like to see a black one with all copper pin-grid heatsinks. Hmm the EVGA X99 Micro 2 might be a good contender, but the height might be an issue.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Nice find, confirms the M.2 slot on the backside. That's disappointing that there are no Type-C ports, makes me all the more interested in see what all connectivity options the Impact will have.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Once Skylake Xeons arrive, there will likely be a handful of server/workstation boards (probably from ASRock) with a pile of SATA ports that can take consumer Skylake CPUs. Probably won't be cheap though, and might be a bit of a wait: ETA for Xeon E3-1200v5 series chips is 2H 2015, and the C230 chipset hasn't been officially announced or specced either.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I noticed those too. While I'm glad there's several boards with M.2, I'm not super stoked on having them on the backside of the board.

I'm curious if the Z170 Impact will do a daughterboard like the previous versions for the M.2.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
So, Asus have a 5.25" bay device that connects to an internal Sata Express port and provides USB 3.1 Type-C connectivity, along with the 100w spec for powering devices. This is their way of working around the lack of an internal header at this time.

It's outlined on various overviews of their boards on PCDIY - I've seen it now on the Z170i-Pro and Z170 Maximus VIII Gene.

They have a 3.1 Type-A version as well.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A good solution for all those unused SATA Express ports that people got, but eventually paid for.

Armourcore9brker

Cable Smoosher
LOSIAS
Jul 15, 2015
I think I'm going to skip this transition generation and wait until 3.1 Type-C is the standard for everything, mainly just phones and computers that don't use proprietary work arounds.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
That's going to be a long time. With Intel's introduction of the Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt Controller, it's obvious this is the route they are more interested in taking than integrating 3.1 into the chipset directly, at least for the time being. With Cannonlake pushed back and this Alpine Ridge showing up, I'm dubious Kaby Lake will have chipset integration of USB 3.1 at this point.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Fortunately, the DAN A4 doesn't seem to require case fans (from Dan's testing), keeping this board in contention. Hopefully the M.2 location on the back is also not a dealbreaker.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Couldn't you just put a thermal pad on the SSD that lets it dissipate heat to the motherboard mount or side panel of a case? I know that's probably not an option in the A4, though.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I find it odd no manufacturer has tried to put the M.2 socket on a daughtercard like the ROG Impact boards, but facing "up" along the rear I/O ports. Most boards have plenty of unused Z-space there. Maybe a daughterboard is too expensive but the EVGA has it for it's WiFi card so it's not impossible.