SFF.Network [SFF Network] In-Win Chopin Review – A Concerto in Black

In-Win, known for some time for their creative (but generally unremarkable) SFF designs, has been branching out as of late. From their H and D Frame cases, to more sedate variants, the company has begun to make inroads towards the mainstream market instead of the traditional OEM and system integrator markets.

Today we are looking at the In-Win Chopin, a premium take on the BQ series. This case features an integrated 150w PSU, a mixed aluminium and steel design, and an interesting design element that we may have seen before, which we’ll discuss below.

Read the full review here.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
It could always be replaced by non-box-shape power supplies if the sizes match up. If mine fails, I'll let you know :D

I see what you meant.

It's just that.. it's gonna be very hard to find such replacements where I live. But yeah hopefully it last.

blin

Chassis Packer
Sep 15, 2016
What do you think it will be the best cooler for this case?
I think the max. height is 43mm

The Noctua NH-L9i?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Pretty much. The Sycthe Kodati and Kozuti make for good options too :)

Calvin

Chassis Packer
Feb 5, 2017
Looks good but with no gpu there are smaller cases out there. What are the psu dimensions? Could probably fit a lp gpu down there and use a nano psu.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
The Silvretta isn't good for higher performance CPUs, my OC'ed G3258 (1.2V instead of 1.0V, about 62W) being abused by Prime95 reaches 85°C (almost thermal shutdown) within 2 minutes, that's with the fan at max which is loud.

I'm testing AIDA64's built-in System Stability Test to see if it at least survives that for an hour or two, but after two minutes it's already at 75°C, again at max fan speed.

So Core i5-xx00K and i7-xx00K are completely out of the question with this heatsink. I would have expected a 65W TDP (they claim 95W TDP compatible) to be realistic but considering my G3258 (54W TDP default, OC: ~65W TDP) already can trip it's thermal shutdown within 2 minutes of Prime95, my hopes for quiet operation with anything above 45W TDP during load are very very low.

More info and lots of pics will follow. Time to look at some alternatives.

Phuncz I got some questions for you, As another mentioned they think this CPU cooler is the same as the IS-40. I did some testing on the IS-40 and got it at 1.373v @ 4.5ghz on my board. It was able to handle it, but the ambient air temp was 17C. I guess if i'd been around 30C it would not have been in an acceptable range.

However, you said you are running around 1.2v, and at 1.174v @ 4.0ghz the cooler does just fine. What clock speed are you running yours at?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My G3258 was running at 4.5GHz on 1.2V I believe. It may well be a bad sample I have, you aren't the first one to say that their experience with the Silvretta (or IS-40) is different. I still have it somewhere and could possibly take a look at it at a later time.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Thx Phuncz for the pictures and test.
And just for fun :), the case modded to accept a better CPU cooler:

(From MetallicAcid @Techpowerup)

ianinbrisbane

What's an ITX?
May 3, 2017
My thoughts on the Chopin case after 9 months of continuous office use....
I assembled my build in July 2016, as follows:
* Gigabyte H170N-WiFi mITX board
* i5-6600 CPU (skylake LG1151)
* Noctura NH-L9i low profile fan
* DDR4 16GB (2x8G) Crucial 2133MHz RAM
* 256GB Samsung 950 PRO PCIe M.2 SSD
* 1TB Samsung 2.5" 850 EVO Series SATA 6Gb/s SSD
* 2TB Seagate 2.5" 7mm 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s HDD (this 2TB HDD was only installed in February 2017)

I run Win10Pro + Linux Mint on a dual-boot, MSOffice, QGIS + various other professional software on dual Dell 24" U2415B monitors.
I watch the occasional movie.

I live in a sub-tropical area (hot humid summers +35C, warm dry winters ~20C). The computer is running 24x7x365 in a non-airconditioned sunny room.
It's exceptionally quiet. It never gets hot enough to run the fan at high speed. I've been very impressed with the case. I was a little apprehensive when i was first looking at the case as i was concerned about the cooling, but given how hot my office gets in summer the computer stays cool and quiet. I'm keeping an eye on prices - to buy another one. I need to build a small system for my father, and i really like this case.
I don't game, so I can't comment on how hot it would get with high-intensity graphics use on an i7, but for serious professional office use (and 24-7 running in a warm climate), I can definitely recommend this case. 5 stars.

Cheers,
Ian.

yoanguila

Cable Smoosher
May 3, 2017
PSU is this: https://www.in-win.com/en/pc-power-supply/ip-ad-series-a/APAC

And from my testing, there's no way a LP GPU would fit either direct in the pcie slot or with a flexible riser. I got bored one day.. :p

Even using a dremel to cut steel?? And what is that rear slot above the psu??? It looks like you can fit there a dvi port with its two screws.
I want to mod if necessary to fit a gtx 1050TI LP, but i don't know if posible.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The chassis is too tight. when I trial fitted i ignored the rear steel, imagining that any possible fitment could be made to work with a dremel. No go.

yoanguila

Cable Smoosher
May 3, 2017
The chassis is too tight. when I trial fitted i ignored the rear steel, imagining that any possible fitment could be made to work with a dremel. No go.

I'm open mind, i can replace the psu with pico 190w to gain extra space. So, it's still posible? Using flexible riser pcie and pico of course.
That damn case it's gorgeous, i don't want to get another chassis. Thanks for the reply btw :)

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
IIRC you'd have to have a CPU socket at the top of the board (away from the PCIe slot) and a flexi riser for it to maybe work. Even then the card will most likely conflict with the motherboard's rear IO.

yoanguila

Cable Smoosher
May 3, 2017
IIRC you'd have to have a CPU socket at the top of the board (away from the PCIe slot) and a flexi riser for it to maybe work. Even then the card will most likely conflict with the motherboard's rear IO.

Thanks again!! I've read Chopin's manual and discovered that the slot over the psu was designed for a hub, and thought about using this cable there: http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar...splitter-hdmi-macho-a-2-hdmi-hembra-video-_JM , conected to my video card that somehow it will be screwed at the bottom (removing psu first) using the short backplate so GPU fans will face the motherboard... Yes, dvi, dp and hdmi ports will be inside the case... But mmh, well i'm thinking right now to get one in black, wait for zen apus and mini itx+wi-fi boards, I don't like Biostar's.
I was searching the future specs and hopefully AMD can implement hyperthreading in the apu. I plan to play League of Legends, Warframe, use OBS or ReLive for gameplays, and light vídeo editing (cutting, add music, text and maybe slowmotion). I hope this activity will not be so demanding.
You solved mi doubts, thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: confusis

blin

Chassis Packer
Sep 15, 2016
Hello guys!

I Have the case for a week ago and I had the same problem the last 2 days, when I turn off the system the PSU keeps on with PSU fan blowing and some leds on the motherboard keeps on too.
Did you have the same problem?
I don't know what is the problem but I have to disconnect the plug to stop it.

I'm using windows 10 and Ubuntu and I had the same problem with both of them.

P.S: I read in your posts that your rig is very quiet but mine isn't, since the start the PSU make some sound, is not very loud but is noticeable, I have the Noctua NH-L9i and I cant heard the fan because the PSU is louder than that.
I have an I7 7700 TDP 65 W so its ok with the wattage.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I don't own it the case, have you tried unplugging the ATX power to the motherboard (24 and 4 pin) and then plug the PSU to the wall and see if that problem persists?