SFF.Network [SFF Network] Corsair Releases the Hydro Series H5

Corsair has launched the Hydro Series H5 SFF cooler. This is a closed loop cooler directly aimed at the SFF market, and Corsair claims it can cool 150w of heat quietly and efficiently.

As we know all too well, cooling in SFF builds can be somewhat of a challenge. Corsair hopes that the Hydro Series H5 will help with that, ensuring that even overclocked CPUs can be cooled effectively.

Read more here.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

This is a rough noise comparison between the Noctua NF-P12 PWM and the Aavid Thermalloy SynJet XFlow X42 12V PWM.

Note: This was recorded using an iPhone 6 from ~250mm (10in) away. The ambient noise level was pretty low so the white noise you hear (especially in the SynJet at 50% clip) is just that, the noise floor of the microphone.

@Tek Everything, do you have a Noctua P12 to compare between the SynJet and the stock H5 SF fan?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's not quite as bad as the video makes it seem. And it'll be very dependent on ambient noise levels. I had tested it briefly at work right after it was delivered and I'd say the environment there is on the lower end of typical office noise levels. It didn't seem intrusive at all there.

I did some brief testing on my i7 4771 in my M1 with the Noctua C12 heatsink:

Even with the SynJets at full speed the CPU would thermal throttle after a several minutes of Prime95 Blend 8-threads, though only to 3.6-3.8GHz from normal 3.9GHz. Ambient was ~20C and CPU was getting to 78C.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
At 50% it sounds very usable !

The way you mounted the fans on that heatsink is far from efficient, but you know that. But for people not following, ideally the heatsink should be taped shut on the top (where the fans are on the picture) and the bottom and the fans should be placed on one side, so the air gets pushed through the entire heatsink.

These seem like a good alternative for low-profile builds. I'm very interested in finding out what these can prove against axial fans.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes, it's just a quick and dirty test.

One interesting thing about them is the airflow is very focused. At about .5m away the "beam" of air is only about .25m across. Measured perpendicular to the plane of the nozzles.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
They're like bellows, the nozzles are both the intake and exhaust.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I realise the thread is more than one year old but following the Synjets experiment, it might be interesting to try Cross-flow fans, which are also between 40 and 50mm high.

Air exhausts at the bottom of the fan.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I realise the thread is more than one year old but following the Synjets experiment, it might be interesting to try Cross-flow fan, which are also between 40 and 50mm high.

Air exhausts at the bottom of the fan.

A guy made a thin ITX chassis based on that kind of fan and a passive Dynatron K129

danger

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2017
I'm not impressed with the H5 at all. Even if you want more cooling than the L9i can offer, I would suggest the L9x65, the Shadowrock LP, or a Scythe option over this H5.

Thanks to TekEverything for the review!

Reactions: Tek Everything

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have one of those fans (about the same size) for a 70W LED light, these often don't run quiet or you'd need one that can ramp way down. But there is little else that can move so much air at a high static pressure. If there is interest in this kind of cooler, I'll look up the one I have because it can be quiet with a proper fan controller.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Funnily enough, I was thinking that Project Jolokia would be perfect for this type of cooler since there's enough free space at the top edge of the motherboard for it.

But I would have to swap the stock fan with something better, like one pulled from a NVIDIA reference cooler.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This is the one I got:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURBINE-VENTILATEUR-PC-BARBONE-CROSS-FLOW-FAN-JHD-03009A12-/172340083034

For future reference:
CROSS FLOW FAN JHD-03009A12
Dimensions: 45mm x 43.5mm x 132mm
Weight: 170g
Power: 12V 0.12A
Connector: 3-pin

You could also look at "cross flow fan 12V" and look at the ones with a low amperage (relative to size) since you don't want one that only works at high speeds and turns your motherboard into goop. The one I have can consume 1.55W which is something most boards can't deal with.

Reactions: aquelito

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks a lot Phuncz, and a seller from my region with that !
Seems the OEM version of the SilverStone FX121.

It would be hooked up to a fan controller so wattage is not going to be an issue.
I'm going to test it in an Antec ISK-110, which runs pretty hot...

Reactions: Phuncz

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
So I took the liberty to buy and try the exact reference you mentionned @Phuncz.

CROSS FLOW FAN JHD-03009A12

I hooked it a up to a Zalman Fanmate to try to find the "sweet spot".

Much to my disappointment, the fan has clearly an unpleasant noise character at every possible voltage.
At 5V you cannot hear the turbulence anymore, but the motor still sounds like a small pump running at full tilt.
Sounded nonethless better when placed horizontaly and without any obstacle in front of the "out" vent.

Please refer to the Silentpcreview article, which is very close to what I noticed.

The fan also does not produce that much airflow.
As an experiment, I tried to "cool" a fanless low profile 750 Ti with the sole cross flow fan. Temperature rise is the same with or without the fan !

By comparison, the single slot 50 mm blower of an OEM GT 630 produces much more airflow (at the expense of noise).

(My apologies for the poor picture).

In conclusion, this fan - in this small size - won't be able to cool the Crosair H5 rad.

It may be used to dump warm air from a well damped / closed case though.

Reactions: Ceros_X and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Bizarre, I was hoping you'd have the same experience as me, although not from it's starting voltage, it needs to be lowered after it's powered up.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Maybe I have a faulty unit.
I do not have any mic to record the sound signature but if you do, you're welcome to share it to let me compare.

I really like the product principle, which I wanted to use for an other build. I'll give it an other try.
This one was just a rough overview.