Discussion SFF.Network Forum Members: What should our SFF test case be?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
So I'm putting together a test system for SFF.Network to expand our editorial content. In addition to open bench testing, we also want be able to test within a case. However, which one?

A couple of rules though..

1. It needs to readily available.

2. It shouldn't cost us a second mortgage (we're not sponsored for this).

3. It should be able to handle most modern video cards.

4. It needs AIO support.

5. Skeleton style cases are out as they might as well be open test benches.

6. SFX or ATX PSU support.

Alright...let's hear your suggestions.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Well there's 3 main case formats with their own layouts that effect cooling:
  • Mini tower, a la NCase or NR200
  • Sandwich, a la Ghost S1 or Formd T1 or iQunix and lots of others
  • Vertical layout a la NZXT H1 or Meshlicious etc
The array of form factors and vastly different cooling accommodations and airflow quirks are why standardized SFF cooling benches aren't really done. Every one comes down not only to the individual case but how well you pack the cables etc.

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Well there's 3 main case formats with their own layouts that effect cooling:
  • Mini tower, a la NCase or NR200
  • Sandwich, a la Ghost S1 or Formd T1 or iQunix and lots of others
  • Vertical layout a la NZXT H1 or Meshlicious etc
The array of form factors and vastly different cooling accommodations and airflow quirks are why standardized SFF cooling benches aren't really done. Every one comes down not only to the individual case but how well you pack the cables etc.

You forgot about console style cases.

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
So I'm putting together a test system for SFF.Network to expand our editorial content. In addition to open bench testing, we also want be able to test within a case. However, which one?

A couple of rules though..

1. It needs to readily available.

2. It shouldn't cost us a second mortgage (we're not sponsored for this).

3. It should be able to handle most modern video cards.

4. It needs AIO support.

5. Skeleton style cases are out as they might as well be open test benches.

6. SFX or ATX PSU support.

Alright...let's hear your suggestions.
I dislike cheap quality mainstream PC cases, especially those with plastic. However, if flexibility and a difference of cooling arrangement is needed, the NR200. It's also inexpensive and can handle water cooling arrangements from AIO to custom.
1. Will the NR200 fit the bill for testing purposes of sandwich layouts?
-And/Or-
2. Other layouts previously not common in PCs cases bigger than SFF? For example, bottom mount GPU?

I would have said M1 right away, but well, that's certainly not readily available at this point.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
A lot of NR200 suggestions, but how about the NR200 MAX instead...?

Should provide a somewhat "standardized" platform for testing ITX mobos, CPUs, & GPUs; using the same AIO & PSU with the aforementioned components...?

Use the vented side panel and fill that bad boy with Chromax black A12x25 fans...! ;^p

Reactions: Questors

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
A lot of NR200 suggestions, but how about the NR200 MAX instead...?

Should provide a somewhat "standardized" platform for testing ITX mobos, CPUs, & GPUs; using the same AIO & PSU with the aforementioned components...?

Use the vented side panel and fill that bad boy with Chromax black A12x25 fans...! ;^p
Technically you are correct with separating the two. I considered them two peas in the same pod, as it were.

There is the idea this is a small form factor minded bunch. Even if the the Max still fits the SFF criteria, is it indicative of the prevailing SFF ideals here? Does it represent the average size build or is it an outlier?

I would think a SFF test case/platform should more reflect the most ideal size. Not that the Max isn't. I guess that's the question.

Reactions: riba2233

ikjadoon

Chassis Packer
Dec 23, 2017
Tempting...and I already have one...

I'd also drop in a vote for the Meshlicious. One little speedbump: the right-angle monitor / display cables, but if you have the cables, it's probably pretty quick.

If you have / could get the 185mm riser, you can do more tests w/ shorter GPUs placed "horizontally", though not sure how useful that is.