SFF.Network [SFF Network] AMD Shipping Bristol Ridge APUs

AMD has announced that it is shipping its seventh generation of accelerated processing units (APUs), codenamed Bristol Ridge, ahead of schedule, with HP confirming that its Envy x360 convertible laptop will feature the parts. No word on whether or not these include the AM4 parts.

Read more here.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
What's wrong with PGA? It still works just fine and is much less prone to damage than LGA. Only real difference is which component carries most of the cost and is prone to damage.
Nothing's wrong with PGA. I just figured that AMD was going to go with a much higher pin count and smaller pins to support what they need. With such a high number of them, AMD may have come up with a new socket solution.

AM4 will be like building my first system all over again.

SmitiaS

Caliper Novice
May 23, 2016
I will upgrade my A8 7600 fm2 build when DDR4 is available on an APU. Seems they respond well to high speed memory. I hope the AM4 is available as ITX, I heard it will be a larger chip than the 115x Intel chips.

One tech news site I visited claimed that this picture from WCCFTech article which was soon deleted (supposedly under manufacturer pressure so they blurred logos and stuff), article was about first spotted AM4 mini-ITX board

I not sure that it can be trusted but layout seems more or less legit. Either way, with all solutions found by mini-ITX manufacturers over the years, like vertical battery and mini pci-e slot placement, it even might not having compromises caused by socket size nowadays. I don't think MB manufacturers would skip any shots they can get on Zen in particular, it promising to be a pretty big thing

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm pretty sure that's fake. The motherboard looks "flat" like it's either was edited into the picture or it was printed out on paper.

The VRM daughterboard is the same as the ASUS Impact boards but weirdly extends all the way to the edge of the board for no apparent reason.

Also, the AM4 boards we've seen up to now (HP and prototypes) have a square hole pattern for the heatsink mount.

Edit: Also, the motherboard is missing the standoff holes.

Edit to the edit: On closer inspection it does look like the standoff holes are present, still think it's fake though.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
That one is a fake. The socket doesn't even match the genuine Socket AM4 board i posted on the previous page

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
About the "removing heatsink from lever-type socket", I would guess the easiest way to remove a heatsink without pulling out the CPU is using something flat to hold down one end of te CPU (PCB) and lifting the heatsink up only on that side. Or if possible, twist, tilt slightly and pull. Once the two surfaces aren't parallel anymore, the adhesion between the heatsink and the thermal paste should not allow it to be pulled out of the socket.

But I do wish they would use an Intel-style brace to secure their CPUs down, nothing can go wrong with removing a heatsink, just by removing or installing a CPU.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Always twist the heatsink off. Just for safety's sake! Learnt that one the hard way back in the socket 478 pentium days!

SmitiaS

Caliper Novice
May 23, 2016
That one is a fake. The socket doesn't even match the genuine Socket AM4 board i posted on the previous page

As I mentioned, it didn't look like it's real, but I believe that it's pretty close to what we will see in couple of months in terms of layout. APUs are very popular in applications like HTPC. Actually, I own one, A10-7800 as it had most powerful iGPU at 65W only. Still a bit too hot for me and too slow for others. Now Zen comes out with both 35W APU and faster 65W APU options. No way major vendors will miss that, and I'm pretty sure AMD also into that, I can bet on AM4 mini-ITX boards being announced within the same quarter as Zen APU release.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Oh, yes, I guarantee we will see M-ITX AM4 boards at Zen launch - the platform is replacing AM3+ as well as FM2+ (and AM1).

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
hmm no square cooling hole mount pattern from what I can tell. I have not nearly as much experience with AMD's socket AM3 mounting, but doesn't this seem like an AM3(+) board because of that mounting ? It doesn't seem to be spaced far enough when taking the HP picture into account:

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The screw spacing appears to be significantly wider. for comparison, AM3:

Also, AM3 has a NB and SB layout, so that black board can't be that. It could be FM2 (assuming my observation of the mounting holes is incorrect), but it's not one i recognise.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

This was posted by Anandtech today:

Given that technically the systems with the new APUs have been released for a couple of weeks, some vendors have their internal enthusiasts play around with the platform. Bearing in mind that AMD has not announced any formal overclocking support on these new APUs, NAMEGT, a South Korean overclocker with ties to ASUS, has pushed the A12-9800 APU to 4.8 GHz by adjusting the multiplier. To do this, he used an unreleased ASUS Octopus AM4 motherboard and AMD’s 125W Wraith air cooler (which will presumably be bundled with PIBs later in the product cycle).
So that's 2 mATX boards already :D

EDIT: In the Anandtech article there is a reference to BodNara, where confusis' image originates from, talking about a Gigabyte board. although those white parallel lines across the PCB do remind me of another manufacturer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est