SFF.Network [SFF Network] AMD Debuts 7th Generation Desktop APUs

Press Release*: AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) today announced that the first OEM systems to feature 7th Generation AMD A-Series desktop processors are now shipping, paired with the new AMD AM4 platform supporting DDR4 memory and next-gen I/O and standards. Designs, initially from HP and Lenovo, with other global OEMs designs to follow, deliver high-speed processing, smooth eSports gaming, and enhanced HD and UHD streaming capabilities, including the highest memory bandwidth to date for an AMD desktop platform.

Read more here.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I was amazed they are putting their top APU against a Core i5-6500 at the same 65W "TDP", they seem to have gained a lot of performance or have I been missing something ? But the thing I'm most excited about and is completely abscent, are the AM4 boards.

Reactions: Soul_Est

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Release lineup:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Exciting, I'm really interested to see how those turn out performance-wise.

Note to editor: There are a few annotations in the press release, but the footnotes are missing.

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
I wonder how the integrated graphics will perform in gaming, that's quite a decent step up in clock speeds over Godavari.

A12-98xx has 8 CUs Vs RX 460's 14 CUs. Clock speeds are comparable. But RX 460s have 112 GB/s GDDR5 memory whereas the APUs use the main memory. I expect the integrated graphics in A12-98xx series to have roughly half the performance of a discrete RX 460. It might be good enough for esports games.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I was under the assumption that these CPUs would be available with the first batch of AM4 boards, but is there any indication these will arrive before December ? I'm trying to figure out a timeline if it is worthwhile getting an AM4 setup before Zen with the intention to upgrade. But that wouldn't make sense is Zen arrives a month later ofcourse.