SFF.Network [SFF Network] AMD Shipping Bristol Ridge APUs

AMD has announced that it is shipping its seventh generation of accelerated processing units (APUs), codenamed Bristol Ridge, ahead of schedule, with HP confirming that its Envy x360 convertible laptop will feature the parts. No word on whether or not these include the AM4 parts.

Read more here.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm rarely interested in new CPUs but often compelled by the new technologies the accompanying chipsets support, so to me the AM4 socket with DDR4 support is much more interesting. I can't wait for the Zen, I'd very much like to once again have an AMD CPU and AM4 board this year.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I will upgrade my A8 7600 fm2 build when DDR4 is available on an APU. Seems they respond well to high speed memory. I hope the AM4 is available as ITX, I heard it will be a larger chip than the 115x Intel chips.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Not sure on the chip size. While there will be more pins, they are moving to a mpga format, so smaller pins than am3/fm2

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I will upgrade my A8 7600 fm2 build when DDR4 is available on an APU. Seems they respond well to high speed memory. I hope the AM4 is available as ITX, I heard it will be a larger chip than the 115x Intel chips.
The APUs will respond to high speed memory due to the iGPU (they require high bandwidth, not low latency).

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I'm hopeful, I noticed the Kaveri's show little difference between 2133mhz and 2400mhz DDR3 - so not sure if thats a limitation on DDR3 or if a 3000mhz DDR4 will offer a big boost.

Their claims of 40-50% improvement in Cinebench R15, I wonder if it include the OpenGL test? I guess if the DDR4 boosts the iGPU alot then maybe thats where the gains are, not on the CPU side of things. I am hopeful it IS on the GPU side, because Zen should bring the CPU gains. If AMD can make an APU with i3 4370 CPU performance and GTX 750 GPU performance for $150 or (even anything less than $200) and let me put it in an ITX form factor, I will buy buy buy.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
If AMD can make an APU with i3 4370 CPU performance and GTX 750 GPU performance for $150 or (even anything less than $200) and let me put it in an ITX form factor, I will buy buy buy.

I am hoping for the same, they would be great for HTPC's. I am also hoping they will include HDMI 2.0 ports on their ITX motherboards, that is a feature the market is crying out for.

To achieve GTX 750 graphics performance the integrated Radeon R7s would need to improve by around 300%.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Trying to fit a GTX750 level GPU, along with a CPU in an APU would be quite the challenge, both with die space, as well as TDP and power supply, even with the process node shrinks.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Geforce 940M + i3 will work too :D - at the very least maybe Intel would release an i3 + Iris Pro graphics for a desktop chip that we can use on the STX boards.

HDMI 2.0 as well!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Geforce 940M + i3 will work too :D - at the very least maybe Intel would release an i3 + Iris Pro graphics for a desktop chip that we can use on the STX boards.

HDMI 2.0 as well!
Unfortunately, this is Intel we're talking about. No powerful iGPUs for you! :mad:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Trying to fit a GTX750 level GPU, along with a CPU in an APU would be quite the challenge, both with die space, as well as TDP and power supply, even with the process node shrinks.
The cut-down (18 or 20 EUs active) 7870 in the PS4's semicustom 'APU' is roughly comparable to a 750ti. Total system power for the PS4 is a hair under 140W, so a TDP of just under 100W for the 'APU' is probably about right.
The rub is that the PS4 (and XB1) dies are massive volume parts, and are not suitable for use as a general x86 CPU (too many custom bits). A 'generic' APU variant would be a big die, with a much smaller market, so would not come cheap.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I wants it ! Here's hoping for interesting mITX and mSTX boards with M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4, proper connector placement and with decent sound and networking.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I am still in awe of AMD's use of pins on a CPU at this moment. I do wonder if 8th generation and future APUs on this socket will sport a four channel memory controller to feed their Polaris iGPUs.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I am still in awe of AMD's use of pins on a CPU at this moment. I do wonder if 8th generation and future APUs on this socket will sport a four channel memory controller to feed their Polaris iGPUs.
What's wrong with PGA? It still works just fine and is much less prone to damage than LGA. Only real difference is which component carries most of the cost and is prone to damage.

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
What's wrong with PGA? It still works just fine and is much less prone to damage than LGA. Only real difference is which component carries most of the cost and is prone to damage.
This^
PGA still works well for socketed CPUs. Infact, it's somewhat electrically superior to LGA.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Somewhat related, I do remember an incident where I was trying to remove the heatsink in a Phenom II system and it pulled the CPU up with it. So, even when the latch is locked, the CPU isn't all THAT secure, but it's a minor thing.

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
Somewhat related, I do remember an incident where I was trying to remove the heatsink in a Phenom II system and it pulled the CPU up with it. So, even when the latch is locked, the CPU isn't all THAT secure, but it's a minor thing.

Funny because I did the same with my Athlon X2 during my teen years :) . AMD stock heat sink and thermal paste was pretty sticky. Although it was slightly scary, system worked OK with the CPU reinserted.

I hope AMD makes a comeback with Zen. I want to build an AMD system for old times' sake. :)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So, even when the latch is locked, the CPU isn't all THAT secure, but it's a minor thing.

Unless you work in computer repair and need to redo the thermal paste on older AMD machines on a regular basis. I rip AMD chips out of their sockets at least a few times a year. I've learned to carefully pull the heatsink straight up though so I only occasionally bend pins :p