SFF.Network [SFF Network] AMD AM4 Bristol Ridge APU De-Lidded

Professional overclocker Nam Dae Won (NameGT) from Seoul, South Korea has de-lidded an AMD AM4 Bristol Ridge APU for all the world to see (Source, Facebook).

Likely based on the Bristol Ridge A12-9800 that he took to 4.8GHz back in September (on the stock cooler no less), this unveiling comes with a very pleasant surprise.

Read more here.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's good to see them using proper "liquid metal" (from the looks of it) beneath the IHS, 14 December there's a preview event of Zen !

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Yup, and AMD will be using the same announcer from The Video Game Awards too.
I'm eager to see what they show, hopefully it's not just a "watch these guys play games on ZEN rigs".

In regards to thermals, I thoroughly enjoy benchmarking so hopefully it will be a great platform. So far, it's looking pretty promising.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm eager to see what they show, hopefully it's not just a "watch these guys play games on ZEN rigs".
Yeah I'm hoping it's not another "look how fast this CPU is with a GPU-limited game using Vulkan", but more a "$100 Zen CPU beats a Core i5-6500 in Battlefield 1 in DX11"

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
That TIM looks to me like the normal metal-in-silicone-suspension material than a 'liquid metal' TIM or solder.
Though in looking things up, I found an interesting article on the difficulties of soldering a die to the IHS, which also explains why using a 'liquid metal' TIM on a bare die is probably not a good idea: 'liquid metal' TIMs are Indium/Gallium eutectic alloys, and Indium from the TIM infiltrating the unprotected die can cause damage over time.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
It's good to see them using proper "liquid metal" (from the looks of it) beneath the IHS, 14 December there's a preview event of Zen !

Yup, and AMD will be using the same announcer from The Video Game Awards too.

In regards to thermals, I thoroughly enjoy benchmarking so hopefully it will be a great platform. So far, it's looking pretty promising.
To quote from a thread I unfortunately created:
AMD recently announced that they are hosting a live Zen CPU demo in Austin, Texas on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 3 PM CST. The event will feature PPD of Evil Geniuses fame putting the processor through its paces and will be hosted by Geoff Keighley. According to AMD, "This is the first time the public will be able to try it themselves and see its capabilities."

Those who wish to learn more about the event or to sign-up to be reminded when the day arrives may do so here.

Reactions: Phuncz

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I was initially concerned about that since his fame comes from DOTA 2 but then I remember that he left Evil Geniuses back in September.

So perhaps AMD are just using a 'person with a name' from 'famous team' to help drum up some excitement from the gaming community. There is no telling what games they will be showing.

At any rate, I'm still eager to see what they show. Outside of the Fury/Nano announcement that contained nothing more than a product reveal, I don't remember the last time AMD invested the time and resources into a public demonstration.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
At any rate, I'm still eager to see what they show. Outside of the Fury/Nano announcement that contained nothing more than a product reveal, I don't remember the last time AMD invested the time and resources into a public demonstration.

AMD Quantum, the new Radeon Pro lines?

Reactions: Soul_Est

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I was initially concerned about that since his fame comes from DOTA 2 but then I remember that he left Evil Geniuses back in September.

So perhaps AMD are just using a 'person with a name' from 'famous team' to help drum up some excitement from the gaming community. There is no telling what games they will be showing.

ppd may have been forced to retire from active play from the organization, but he still has a role behind the scenes - I think it's fair to announce him as they did. Now that I know he is doing this AMD event, it makes sense that he isn't at the Boston Major which is currently running (he was at the recent The Summit 6 which EG played).

Universe has been playing with the EG again since Bulba got removed.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Yeah I'm hoping it's not another "look how fast this CPU is with a GPU-limited game using Vulkan", but more a "$100 Zen CPU beats a Core i5-6500 in Battlefield 1 in DX11"
Don't get your hopes too high, because if you do you'll end up being disappointed if it just falls short of unrealistically high expectations. I am rooting for AMD though, and hoping they make a comeback.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's wishful thinking they are finally break through their slump and put out amazing products that are clearly the smarter choice.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Ya and even if they only become equals in terms of performance (what I suspect at the very least), one would hope that some fair competition would help drive prices down over at Intel.