SFF.Network [SFF Network] AeroCool's Dream Box - Wait... What??

Sometimes, we just need that extra level of customization in a computer enclosure. Of course, with products like the In-Win Chopin, we are sometimes able to get options like picking the colour of the accent portion of the case, if we are so fortunate. I suppose that’s nice enough.

With the Aerocool Dream Box, however – the subject of today’s review – we get quite a bit more tweak-ability, if you will. With parts that seem to be based on the OpenBeam style kits (extruded aluminium beams), the Dream Box offers almost unlimited options when it comes to building what you want. In fact, the Dream Box is so customizable that you aren’t even limited to building PC enclosures – you can just as well use the system to build other handy fixtures, as we will demonstrate in short order...

Read more here.

Gadgety

Chassis Packer
Feb 12, 2016
Love it. Agree with your #1 improvement point, the need for proper corner pieces to enable cube builds. Perhaps the old lego solution would be useful where you could just order the pieces you need and skip set kits. Even so, most interesting.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
What are the dimensions of the 'slots' in the extrusions? While less elegant than the included pieces with curved plastic mouldings, if they slots are a standard width and of sufficient depth you could use existing linking fixings (brackets, angles, plates, T-nuts, etc) intended for regular rectangular extrusions.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I think some sort of standardized interlocking panels would be cool, to do the outside of a 'case'

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I was very enthusiastic about this kit before, but the size of the tubing was a serious negative for me. For SFF it's quite limiting this way. Still interesting as a Lego kit case.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
What are the dimensions of the 'slots' in the extrusions? While less elegant than the included pieces with curved plastic mouldings, if they slots are a standard width and of sufficient depth you could use existing linking fixings (brackets, angles, plates, T-nuts, etc) intended for regular rectangular extrusions.

8mm*2mm, with the opening being 5.5mm or thereabouts.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
8mm*2mm, with the opening being 5.5mm or thereabouts.
All the 5.5mm/5.6mm slot profile I can find (mainly from Flexlink) uses 9mm wide relief, so fixings designed for that probably will not fit.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Dunno if this has already been discussed, but I just stumble on it, looks cool!
http://www.aerocool.us/dreambox/dreambox.html

Has anyone already tried to build a custom case with it?

What would be even better is to find a way for custom side pannels to go with it or with @NATi's trays!

sydefekt

What's an ITX?
Jul 16, 2017
Hi guys! New member, but long time reader here.

I am coincidentally working on this, and I saw your review. I hope you don't mind if I share my build. Since there are so few documented builds for this case. Anyway this is not strictly small... its big, but slim like 2U but with some excess.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
The fact that it look freaking BA makes it fine in my book!

Also, concerning SFF ideology, you have used all the space really well IMO so props on the efficiency.

m4vr0x

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 8, 2017
As anyone found or draw 3D models of DreamBox parts ?
It should perfect to try setup in SketchUp before mounting it ... because it's a little quite of work to screw all theses ... screws ;-)