SFF.Network Low Volume Ep. 5 - Focus

Download Link

• Today's hosts: Joshua Ramirez, James Schell, and John Morrison.
  • Thanks to Jay Mattison, this and future episodes of Low Volume will have an accompanying video that illustrates what we discuss! Furthermore, listeners (and now viewers!) can expect podcasts to land every other Wednesday, on lowvolu.me, iTunes, and YouTube.
    • A reminder: Supporters that subscribe to SFF Forum can listen to live shows, interact with us, and join in on "The Aftershow" where we answer questions and discuss topics that don't make the cut for the podcast! Shows are recorded every other Saturday on the weeks before we upload.
  • 0:44 The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B launches, an updated version of the tiny board that brought tinkering to the masses.
    • As before, it costs merely $35. Unlike before, it provides a 64-bit Quad-Core ARM chip - made by Broadcom - that approaches 10x the performance of the last version.
    • Other features include Bluetooth 4.1, 802.11n wireless, and improved power management.
  • 6:57 Valve's Steam VR Test allows enthusiasts to see if their hardware hits compatibility and minimum specs necessary to play nice with the upcoming HTC Vive.
    • The application is likely do destroy the hopes, dreams, and wallets of enthusiasts everywhere.
    • Said one reviewer: "This game is EXTREMELY linear! I felt like I didn't even play."
  • 13:02 ASUS's new GTX 950 finally, finally, brings an option to the market that does not have power plugs.
    • Confusingly enough, even with the obvious SFF use case, the aesthetics of the GPU shroud are made to match Z170 ATX-sized boards. A missed opportunity!
  • 22:11 Corsair's Michael Hooper, a PM for cases/cooling/fans, speaks towards a growing focus on SFF during an interview with Bit-tech.
    • Given Corsair's reputation for laughably oversized mITX and mATX enclosures, we'll hold our breath and wait until some actual product come out.
    • That said, to have a major player publicly announce a focus on SFF and principles of focused design mean that a lot of what makes SFF great can now be publicized and make significantly more accessible to to builders across the globe.
  • 43:36 This episode's 'Fortnightly Favorite Fread': Diesel Engine (ITX / SFF / Console)
    • The amazing illustrations and concept art, gorgeous use of laser-cut wood, and thoughtful technical design of this console-style case won our minds and hearts over.
As mentioned above, the video and audio versions of the podcast will be simultaneously released on (every other) Wednesday moving forward! We'd love feedback on both, and appreciate the praise and comments we've received from everyone thus far. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Excellent podcast, the visual cues were handy and very welcome, well done Jay !

To post my SteamVR results (asked for in the podcast):

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I recommend holding off on upgrading to a 970 unless you really need it, when both AMD and Nvidia are going to launch new cards around June (hopefully) that will have a huge increase in performance per watt ratio.

We can already feel these tendencies with the recent GTX 950 without power connectors and the Radeon Pro Duo only needing 350W (dual Radeon Nano cards) and that's with the "old 28nm stuff". AMD is already saying 2.5x perf/watt increases for the 14nm cards, which would mean the performance of a Radeon Nano within the 75W spec for bus-powered cards.

LooseNeutral

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 3, 2015
.. well I've been under a rock pile! Good to see you've got the podcast up on youtube. I've got some catching up to do. sub'd you there :) I'll give a listen later tonight.. hit mah data cap today and am in restriction @#$^'it . Get free time between midnite to 5am. so, um, yeah.
@confusis . I've still got that old podcast when you where outside in winter try'n to keep connection going..freez'n your do-dads off lol

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I like how John Morrison aka Confusis completely spaced out when you asked him about the Corsair interview. You could tell he was like "I went away, I have no idea what you are talking about lol!"

Still another good episode!

My benchmarks (just t contribute something meaningful) were a fail before I clicked start, but just so everyone can see..

LooseNeutral

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 3, 2015
I like how John Morrison aka Confusis completely spaced out when you asked him about the Corsair interview. You could tell he was like "I went away, I have no idea what you are talking about lol!"

John as I've known him, since the start of me trying to learn thing has always been a good soul. Always tried. Like any human being with a passion, had frustrations. But as any day tuns to night and the Sun comes up again. John has remained my friend. That works two ways. He brought me here. I hope he invites me to whatever adventures lie ahead. Just to say hello.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Due to scheduling issues (we tried 3 times to get everyone together for recording but something came up each time) we ended up skipping the previous recording date and release for this one is late due to technical issues. Episode 6 should be uploaded later today.

Then if nothing comes up we should be recording this Saturday and be back on our regular release schedule afterwards.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Glad, been desperate for a SFF-fix. I don't listen to any other podcasts besides lowvolu.me.. Glad to hear of a new release!

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'll take some of the blame for being in a third-world country, without internet access, last week...

Reactions: Ceros_X