Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
Do you know if the Gigabyte 2080 Ti Gaming OC (50.2mm thick) will cause any turbulence, similar to what a Cryorig C7 would? I was looking to use that as my next GPU but if it will cause turbulence I may have to go the thinner Windforce (40.24mm thick) or other standard height model

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Do you know if the Gigabyte 2080 Ti Gaming OC (50.2mm thick) will cause any turbulence, similar to what a Cryorig C7 would? I was looking to use that as my next GPU but if it will cause turbulence I may have to go the thinner Windforce (40.24mm thick) or other standard height model

I'm not sure if it's going to fit, and there's a high risk of it scratching it's fans against the perforation. We have 8~9mm of space below the card for a 40 mm thick card.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
I'm not sure if it's going to fit, and there's a high risk of it scratching it's fans against the perforation. We have 8~9mm of space below the card for a 40 mm thick card.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll stick with the standard 40mm.

NovaProspekt

Cable Smoosher
May 9, 2019
Hey everyone, I backed the Sentry 2.0 campaign and have spent the last few days reading through this whole thread. Very excited to build in this case!

I would like to base the build around an 8 core Ryzen 3000 series when those come out later this year. Just curious what CPU cooler other socket AM4 users are planning on using? It seems the only readily available “high end” cooler that will fit is the Noctua L9a.

The Cryorig C7 has become nearly impossible to find (it is not even listed for sale anymore on Amazon or Newegg). I wrote an email to their customer service a couple weeks ago to see if there is anything specific causing the unavailability but have not heard back.

It seems that the Black Ridge compatibility with AM4 boards is pretty hit or miss, and likely requires modding with a 120mm slim fan and VLP RAM to be noticeably more effective than the Noctua anyway.

I would like to avoid the AIO route because I want to put my reference Vega56 in this build.

Are most people going with Noctua?

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I've been doing some research on air coolers for this case over the last week or so, and there are very few options in this category that I personally would find myself happy with as far as noise and thermal performance is concerned... As you said, the C7 and C7 cu are both completely gone from the market, and Black Ridge seems to have compatibility issues with a lot of motherboards, and also has some availability issues depending on your region. The suggestion for the Silverstone AR11 with a Noctua NF-A9x14 from @Solo seems to be a front runner for sure, but since you're using AM4, I think the L9a will beat it with a 120mm slim fan attached (replacing the 92mm it comes with). It bums me out that the L9i is outperformed by it's AM4 sister cooler (I'm on the Z390 platform), but that works out in your favor. I'll continue researching, but I feel like if there are better options, they will likely come from frankensteining passive coolers with oddball fan setups. I hope better options arise, though... as I'm tired of the pump noise from my H60, and would prefer a full length GPU haha.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
What is the max height required for the riser card? I couldn't find that in the manual, and I apologize if I overlooked that.

It looks like Black Ridge might in fact work on the Z390 Phantom Gaming mobo after speaking with @jrasero who posted his mobo using that cooler in the Black Ridge thread. It might have even potentially worked in v1 as can be seen in this link: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/HHKBD3 (also kindly provided by jrasero). My concern is how far the heat spreaders extend past the PCIE lane, and whether or not that would interfere with the center rail/riser connection in the Sentry 2.0. Thoughts?

It should be said that even with VLP RAM, the 120mm fan wouldn't be an option on this mobo in particular due to the tall heat spreaders, but it still might be a better air cooling option as long as the 92mm fan is swapped with a Noctua. I'll keep researching!

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
It's important to note that the L9a will perform SIGNIFICANTLY better with a shroud/duct of some sort (either 3d printed or using foam weatherstripping) so that it draws in only fresh air. Having a fan right by the perforations isn't desirable from a noise perspective, but having one 10mm in isn't desirable from the perspective of recycling air. A shroud or duct will give you the best of both worlds.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
What is the max height required for the riser card? I couldn't find that in the manual, and I apologize if I overlooked that.

Why would we present this data if the riser is made specifically to our case and other PCB risers are alike (made specifically for the case)?

If you need replacement then any flexible 40~50 mm long ribbon riser will do as long as it has the PCB oriented the same way at the GPU side.

Black ridge fin stack does not go above the riser, it is pressing against the foam cover of the pci-e slot solder points with the heatpipe endings.

It looks like Black Ridge might in fact work on the Z390 Phantom Gaming mobo after speaking with @jrasero who posted his mobo using that cooler in the Black Ridge thread. It might have even potentially worked in v1 as can be seen in this link: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/HHKBD3 (also kindly provided by jrasero). My concern is how far the heat spreaders extend past the PCIE lane, and whether or not that would interfere with the center rail/riser connection in the Sentry 2.0. Thoughts?

I don't think black ridge will fit on this board. I made mockups when it launched for multiple boards and it seems to barely fit in my mockup here:

but I noticed afterwards that the fin stack in the render here is smaller than in reality as this is made in perspective, so it'll probably won't fit without shifting on the socket. And the mounting mechanism is already terrible on this cooler.

Last edited:

NovaProspekt

Cable Smoosher
May 9, 2019
I have been thinking of the duct option with the Noctua L9a. I did see Solo’s recommendation of the Silverstone AR11 and another suggestion of the Dynatron passive heat sink, but they appear to be Intel socket only.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Why would we present this data if the riser is made specifically to our case and other PCB risers are alike?

I wasn't faulting you for not including it, but wanted to confirm that it wouldn't interfere with the cooler in question (Black Ridge) since the heat spreaders could butt up against the connection. Not having the case or cooler in hand makes it so I have to ask for the specifics from those who know them (you guys).

I don't think black ridge will fit on this board. I made mockups when it launched for multiple boards and it seems to barely fit in my mockup here:

Your mockups are why I'm sharing this info now since there's proof the cooler will in fact fit the Z390 Phantom Gaming mobo. I included a link with pics, and below is the quote from the user that proves it fits.

I just got my Rev2 Black Ridge Cooler yesterday and installed it on my Z390 Phantom ITX board with no issues. I did swap out the stock fan which just felt super cheap with a slim Noctua 92mm.

However the cooler really isn't black and if you can tell in the photo there is a dark spot on the fins where it seems like some of the fins has been ever so slightly bent and some extra solder spilled onto? Also at the end of the heat pipes some extra solder is present. At the bottom I wasn't able to capture a photo but all 6 heat pipes seem properly soldered and show no gaps.

Are these imperfections just cosmetic?

Black Ridge Cooler Rev2

You can see in his link that the cooler fits the mobo, but the question still stands on whether it will fit in the Sentry 2.0 on this mobo, though.

Reactions: SaperPL

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I wasn't faulting you for not including it, but wanted to confirm that it wouldn't interfere with the cooler in question (Black Ridge) since the heat spreaders could butt up against the connection. Not having the case or cooler in hand makes it so I have to ask for the specifics from those who know them (you guys).

I got that, no problem. It's just that it's not something you'll normally get in your manual so we're not including this. I was just surprised you were expecting this :D

You can see in his link that the cooler fits the mobo, but the question still stands on whether it will fit in the Sentry 2.0 on this mobo, though.

These photos don't say much about how much does this intrude into pci-e slot area. You could ask that guy for a photo looking directly(centered to counter perspective of the camera lens) at the pci-e slot from the top or side to see how much it intrudes.

You have to be careful about such statements as most of the users will probably pick this cooler for A4-SFX or similar case OR something that doesn't use dedicated card at all like for example inwin chopin.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
These photos don't say much about how much does this intrude into pci-e slot area. You could ask that guy for a photo looking directly(centered to counter perspective of the camera lens) at the pci-e slot from the top or side to see how much it intrudes.

You have to be careful about such statements as most of the users will probably pick this cooler for A4-SFX or similar case OR something that doesn't use dedicated card at all like for example inwin chopin.

For sure. I’ve already messaged @jrasero about the spacing in question, and he said he’d get those measurements when he has a chance. I’ll more than gladly post the info once I have it if he doesn’t just directly post it himself at this point (since I’ve now tagged him a couple times haha).

Last edited:

skiphix

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
Someone reuploaded the capmaign video: . "TECHNICAL NASA" has reuploaded many videos from indiegogo, probably nothing to worry about, but I thought it would be best to let you know.

Reactions: SaperPL

nph84

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
I've been doing some research on air coolers for this case over the last week or so, and there are very few options in this category that I personally would find myself happy with as far as noise and thermal performance is concerned... As you said, the C7 and C7 cu are both completely gone from the market, and Black Ridge seems to have compatibility issues with a lot of motherboards, and also has some availability issues depending on your region. The suggestion for the Silverstone AR11 with a Noctua NF-A9x14 from @Solo seems to be a front runner for sure, but since you're using AM4, I think the L9a will beat it with a 120mm slim fan attached (replacing the 92mm it comes with). It bums me out that the L9i is outperformed by it's AM4 sister cooler (I'm on the Z390 platform), but that works out in your favor. I'll continue researching, but I feel like if there are better options, they will likely come from frankensteining passive coolers with oddball fan setups. I hope better options arise, though... as I'm tired of the pump noise from my H60, and would prefer a full length GPU haha.
The Thermolab LP53 is plentiful on ebay. This cooler should have similar performance to the cryorig c7

Reactions: Brude27

Shinmiri

What's an ITX?
May 9, 2019
I haven't seen anybody ask this, but do you plan to match the stand's color with the grey case? I see that it is black in the campaign photos.
Regardless, I'll probably still love it.

Also, congrats on your successful Indiegogo campaign! Looking forward to building in this sexy sub-7L case.

Treshy

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
Hey everyone, I backed the Sentry 2.0 campaign and have spent the last few days reading through this whole thread. Very excited to build in this case!

I would like to base the build around an 8 core Ryzen 3000 series when those come out later this year. Just curious what CPU cooler other socket AM4 users are planning on using? It seems the only readily available “high end” cooler that will fit is the Noctua L9a.

The Cryorig C7 has become nearly impossible to find (it is not even listed for sale anymore on Amazon or Newegg). I wrote an email to their customer service a couple weeks ago to see if there is anything specific causing the unavailability but have not heard back.

It seems that the Black Ridge compatibility with AM4 boards is pretty hit or miss, and likely requires modding with a 120mm slim fan and VLP RAM to be noticeably more effective than the Noctua anyway.

I would like to avoid the AIO route because I want to put my reference Vega56 in this build.

Are most people going with Noctua?

I think Cryorig C7 and C7 Cu are not available because they are preparing to launch their new C7G model of the same cooler. It is rated for 125W TDP instead of the 115W TDP of the Cu model.
Its already listed on this German retailer site, complete with pictures: alternate.de Link
Its supposedly made from copper as well but coated with graphene for better heat transfer. According to the shop it will start shipping in May, so I think it should be available for purchase once we get our hands on our Sentry 2.0 cases.