Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

NovaProspekt

Cable Smoosher
May 9, 2019
I wonder what some options would be to reduce the noise of having the C7 fan blades so close to the Sentry’s case perforations. Maybe flipping the fan over so it pulls air through the heat sink and exhausts it out the side of the case?

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Flipping the fan works in favour of noise reduction, but at the same time it means you're pulling heated air from around the board instead of cooling the radiator with fresh cool air directly from the outside.

Also note that C7 fan is something that you can't just put upside down.

Reactions: skiphix

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Let me start by saying I don't know if this would work without a little modding, but I was browsing around smaller GPUs today, and I noticed that EVGA introduced a 2-slot dual fan 1660ti model that is 202.1mm wide... and that got me thinking...

If that GPU measurement is true to spec, which I realize isn't always the case, then the new Asetek 645LC should fit alongside that particular card IF the tubing is long enough to reach the CPU, and if it can be properly mounted in the Sentry (where the modding would potentially have to come in).

The AIO is 96.8mm wide (full radiator dimensions here) in the same orientation the 120mm AIO is installed in the Sentry, and with the maximum GPU length being 305mm... it technically fits... Again, if you can find a way to mount it and if the tubing is long enough.

It would be a tight fit coming in at 298.9mm together, but if the tubes are long enough, and the AIO can be mounted properly, it could be a solid combo in the Sentry.

Edit: Read the EVGA card width incorrectly as 208.1mm, whereas it's actually 202.1mm, giving me even more hope in this combo. Corrected dimensions listed.

Last edited:

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I wouldn't worry about the tube length, but you'd have to figure out the mounting method. The perforation does not match the 92 mm fan mounting holes and you can only mount it by two screws with radiator slightly angled so when you're this tight with this 208 mm long card, you won't be able to angle this so much.

btw this AIO has that awesome feature of 90 degrees bends after coming out of the radiator which could make it possible to install the second 2.5 drive with such AIO if those weren't this tall (they go over the fan in the photos). I wish we'd get the 120 mm AIO from asetek with those 90 degree bends.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I had to edit my post b/c I typed in the wrong dimensions for the GPU, which actually were wrong in our favor! We gained a decent chunk of space compared to what I initially posted, so it actually might give the wiggle room needed to awkwardly mount the radiator!

Also, YES I would love that 120mm version to release as well!

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Sorry for coming in late, but is there an option to still contribute & order the 2.0 case?

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
With the recent fitment discoveries we discussed last week, I went ahead and reordered a Black Ridge cooler to test out for myself. I'll measure the clearances with my calipers once it arrives on my Z390 Phantom Gaming mobo, and post pics accordingly. I know that doesn't help the AM4 readers here, but hopefully it'll be valuable info for those on the Intel side of things.

I'll also try to get some temperature comparisons between Black Ridge and my H60 to get an idea of how they stack up against one another. I only have a 9600k to test with, so I won't be able to stress the coolers as much as those with i7s or i9s would, but I'll see how it goes either way.

Reactions: SaperPL

emakar

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 14, 2019
Hi! I'm considering gigabyte gaming 2070 for my future sentry 2.0, but if I remember correctly 2080 gaming was listed as compatible some time ago as well. Also what does orange "no" stands there for? Does gpu backplate somehow conflict with new heat shield "above" gpu? Not that I dispute its benefits (neither do want 2080 which is above recommended tdp), just to make things clear. Thanks!
___
Not that related thoughts - lower tdp cards with beefy heatsinks should be both cool and quiet, however "fan close to perforation" issue should apply to them as well - not sure which side to choose :)

Last edited:

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Hi! I'm considering gigabyte gaming 2070 for my future sentry 2.0, but if I remember correctly 2080 gaming was listed as compatible some time ago as well. Also what does orange "no" stands there for? Does gpu backplate somehow conflict with new heat shield "above" gpu? Not that I dispute its benefits (neither do want 2080 which is above recommended tdp), just to make things clear. Thanks!
___
Not that related thoughts - lower tdp cards with beefy heatsinks should be both cool and quiet, however "fan close to perforation" issue should apply to them as well - not sure which side to choose :)

I believe the gaming 2080/TI cards had same dimensions in specs as windforce ones and not 50 mm thick when we were making the list before campaign or somehow we have missed that those are 2.5 slot thick, and someone noted that to us recently on the [H].

We have 8~9 mm of thickness below the card for 40mm card so 50mm is definitely too thick and the fans may scratch themselves against the perforation making the card loud afterwards even in normal case.

The GPU shield doesn't matter as the card has the GPU radiator screws around the chip that are standing out for ~5 mm on springs at the back of PCB so there's always those 5 mm of space at the back. And the backplate is aligned with those. You can't go thicker on this side because it wouldn't fit next to another adapter in the neighbouring slot.

The slot width is 20.35mm iirc so dual slot card should be 40.7mm max including the backplate or the screws, although the pci-e bracket is shifted slightly versus rest of the card, so sometimes we get cards with thickness like 43mm that are actually standard 2 slot ones because of this.

Reactions: emakar

Agony11111

Chassis Packer
Mar 17, 2019
I have two 2.5 hard drive and two 3.5 hard drive, can this case takes all of them? if yes, what is the size of CPU this case can hold for the rest of room? thanks

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I have two 2.5 hard drive and two 3.5 hard drive, can this case takes all of them? if yes, what is the size of CPU this case can hold for the rest of room? thanks

Yes, you can fit two 2.5" drives (max height of 10.5 mm, not the 15 mm thick ones though) and two 3.5" HDDs but this means you won't be able to put a GPU inside so you're limited to integrated GPU with two 3.5" drives. With one, you can use a short GPU.

Size of the CPU? If you mean the cooler, its 47 mm of height so stuff like intel box cooler, cryorig C7, noctua NH-L9i etc.
We recommend going for 65W TDP CPUs because of this unless you want to use water cooling for 95W+ TDP CPU, which you won't be able to do with two 3.5" drives installed.

Agony11111

Chassis Packer
Mar 17, 2019
Yes, you can fit two 2.5" drives (max height of 10.5 mm, not the 15 mm thick ones though) and two 3.5" HDDs but this means you won't be able to put a GPU inside so you're limited to integrated GPU with two 3.5" drives. With one, you can use a short GPU.

Size of the CPU? If you mean the cooler, its 47 mm of height so stuff like intel box cooler, cryorig C7, noctua NH-L9i etc.
We recommend going for 65W TDP CPUs because of this unless you want to use water cooling for 95W+ TDP CPU, which you won't be able to do with two 3.5" drives installed.

Thanks. I mean size of GPU, typo..lol.
so with two 2.5 and one 3.5, i can still use short GPU? do you mean a GPU with single fan?

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
so with two 2.5 and one 3.5, i can still use short GPU? do you mean a GPU with single fan?
Yeah, somewhat this kind of GPU, like RTX 2070 Mini from Gigabyte. With that you can hav a single 3.5" drive in a spot in front of the GPU, where you can also have 120 mm AIO instead of the 3.5" HDD.

Reactions: jaro

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I received my Black Ridge cooler on Friday (OcUK's shipping is amazing), but I didn't get a chance to tinker with my PC over the weekend. I'm hoping to at least get it mounted and measure clearances this evening, but we will see.

Have you guys heard anything from Indiegogo yet about funding? I'm surprised to see the campaign still in InDemand, but don't know how long that sort of thing usually takes. What I do know is the longer I can change my mind about what color I chose, the more I want to, haha! I just love both colors so much! >.<