Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Thank you. What temps are you getting under full load? You are using the stock fan underneath right?

• CPU: 9600k
    • 4.6ghz all core @1.175v (could probably get this lower, and will try when I have time)
    • AVX offset 2
    • LLC 1
    • Long Duration Power Limit 95w
    • Short Duration Power Limit 135w

• GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC Gaming
    • +110 to base clock
    • +850 to memory clock

I went to run a 15 min RealBench test and canceled it at the 10 min mark b/c it reached 93 C. It's not a great result, but I don't do rendering work on this PC, so I'm ok with it.

This computer is mostly for gaming, and after an hour I have found the CPU and GPU both normalize at around 77 C. Again, this isn't a great result, but tweaks can be made when I have more time.

I'm using a Noctua NF-A9x14, and I know it's why we all go with Noctua, but I must say I'm incredibly impressed with how quiet it is when it ramps up.

Reactions: andy66

andy66

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2019
    • 4.6ghz all core @1.175v (could probably get this lower, and will try when I have time)
    • AVX offset 2
    • LLC 1

• +110 to base clock
    • +850 to memory clock

I went to run a 15 min RealBench test and canceled it at the 10 min mark b/c it reached 93 C. It's not a great result, but I don't do rendering work on this PC, so I'm ok with it.

This computer is mostly for gaming, and after an hour I have found the CPU and GPU both normalize at around 77 C. Again, this isn't a great result, but tweaks can be made when I have more time.

I'm using a Noctua NF-A9x14, and I know it's why we all go with Noctua, but I must say I'm incredibly impressed with how quiet it is when it ramps up.

Thanks for your settings and results. Is it possible to run a 15 - 20min ingame benchmark (some AAA game), which is gpu limited (e.g. 4k) and see what cpu / gpu temps you are getting?

Reactions: Dustbunnyck

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Thanks for your settings and results. Is it possible to run a 15 - 20min ingame benchmark (some AAA game), which is gpu limited (e.g. 4k) and see what cpu / gpu temps you are getting?
You’re very welcome!

I don’t play many AAA titles, but I have 3DMark benches I can run on a loop on for you. I’ll give that a shot when I get a moment. Possibly this evening, but I don’t want to make any promises.

andy66

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2019
You’re very welcome!

I don’t play many AAA titles, but I have 3DMark benches I can run on a loop on for you. I’ll give that a shot when I get a moment. Possibly this evening, but I don’t want to make any promises.

That would also be perfect :)

Reactions: Brude27

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
Anyone else with the black ridge cooler with a 120 mm noctua fan finding it quite noisy? Mine is basically silent until 50% fan speed, but then it gets kinda annoying above that.

I tested the fan in both orientations (but not fully inclosed in the case with everything in it), and I found the pull configuration to be louder, but now I am doubting my choice...

Last edited:

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I have a few stress test results for you @andy66 . All stress test results are 20 looped runs of each test. I left my specs again for the sake of consolidation for anyone who reads this in the future.

System Specs:
    • AVX offset 2
    • LLC 1
    • +110 to base clock
    • +850 to memory clock

Stress Test Results:
  • Time Spy Extreme (4K DX12):
    • GPU - 80 C
    • CPU - 68 C peak - 56 C average
  • Fire Strike Ultra (4K DX11):
    • GPU - 79 C
    • CPU - 63 C peak - 55 C average
  • Port Royal (Ray Tracing):
    • GPU - 79 C
    • CPU - 73 C peak - 69 C average

Fuzzylogik

Cable Smoosher
Jan 5, 2020
Hey everyone! I might be going crazy, but I swear I saw someone do a mod on the power button to make it rgb. Has anyone else seen this or know what im talking about?

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
Ok thanks SaperPL, ill check them out!

I looked into this and it's a bit of a pain to find something exactly to spec. obviously you have to get the right size, but also you have to get one with the right RGB arrangement. you can either get common cathode or common anode, and because LEDs are diodes, the two standards aren't compatible. I can't remember which one PC RGB uses, but I recall it being the opposite of all the switches I could find to purchase locally to me.

I didn't bother in the end, but if you find something that works, let us know.

Capt. Fantastic

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 28, 2019
Hey everyone! I might be going crazy, but I swear I saw someone do a mod on the power button to make it rgb. Has anyone else seen this or know what im talking about?

I don' think you are going crazy, becasue I am in the middle of doing something similar and I'm sure I got the idea from this thread at some point in the past.

I'm using this switch from adafruit. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3350

But TBH i see it as a bit of side project rather than part of my main build. I'm planning on connecting it up to an arduino board (which I already had sitting round) connected to an internal usb header, rather than the PC rgb headers. The plan I had in mind is that the colour could be linked to CPU temps. So far I have wired the switch part, but not connected the LEDs to anything. Will share details when I get round to finishing this, could be in 6 months though.

andy66

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2019
I have a few stress test results for you @andy66 . All stress test results are 20 looped runs of each test. I left my specs again for the sake of consolidation for anyone who reads this in the future.

System Specs:
    • AVX offset 2
    • LLC 1
    • +110 to base clock
    • +850 to memory clock

Stress Test Results:
  • Time Spy Extreme (4K DX12):
    • GPU - 80 C
    • CPU - 68 C peak - 56 C average
  • Fire Strike Ultra (4K DX11):
    • GPU - 79 C
    • CPU - 63 C peak - 55 C average
  • Port Royal (Ray Tracing):
    • GPU - 79 C
    • CPU - 73 C peak - 69 C average

Thank you @Brude27 These temps are really impressive, will test the same UEFI Settings and benchmarks with my 9900k and C7 Cu.

Reactions: Brude27

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018

You're not going crazy. Well, you might be, but this was posted earlier in this thread.

Doesn't give any details about the switch though, could try messaging them or hope that they are still checking this thread.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Thank you @Brude27 These temps are really impressive, will test the same UEFI Settings and benchmarks with my 9900k and C7 Cu.

You're very welcome! You are a brave soul attempting a 9900K in this case! I'll be interested to see what your results are, though! I have a C7G I purchased as a backup for my BRv2 in case it didn't fit the Sentry, but it'll remain in the box for now. I'll eventually switch to a mobo that BRv2 doesn't fit, and then it'll have its time to shine. :)

Fuzzylogik

Cable Smoosher
Jan 5, 2020
Sentry 2.0 #454!

This is my first build and huge thanks to Dr. Zaber and the Sentry 2.0 team for making it a breeze to install! I have a 3700x, Aorus X570, Black Ridge with a Noctua Chromax fan, EVGA GM 650, LPX memory, a GTX 1060 (easy upgrade path for whenever I get a better monitor), and of course plenty of RGB. I knew it would be worth the wait, but I used the extra time figuring out how to install a RGB button on the front and I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Edit: Video didn't want to play nice so I removed it. I also posted it on the r/sffpc Discord server.

This! How did you end up doing the rgb button mridontknow? Looking at doing the same and would love some tips!

SFF_awesome

Efficiency Noob
Dec 25, 2019
Hello Sentry team!

I had a v1.1 worth a dual slot XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR XXX edition which always ran pretty loud and up against the temp limits most of the time.

I now have a v2.0 which I'm going to be putting together this weekend with a Ryzen 3700X, noctua L9a and aorus x570 itx etc but I'm not sure what to do about the graphics card.

I want to get an RX 5700 XT and ordered a Gigabyte Gaming OC model which is 49.55mm thick. I ordered this because Paul from Paul's Hardware used the gigabyte 2080Ti which is essentially the same cooler but 50.2mm thick, although he did comment it got relatively noisy because the fans are close to the side of the case - in his video this didn't sound any worse than my old RX480 (as far as you can tell from a YouTube video).

I also ordered a reference blower card because this would not be up against the side of the case and would allow the hot air to be exhausted, even if blower cards are supposed to be 'loud.'

If stuck between the choice of a 'loud' reference blower card or a triple fan card that's loud because the fans are close the side of the case, which would you choose?

I also live in a relatively warm place where it's about 24 degrees inside on average (and without air-conditioning) if that would influence your advice?

The store I purchased these from charge 15% restocking fee if you return after opening, so I'd rather just open one of them!

Any thoughts appreciated!

Many thanks

Last edited: