Production SENTRY 2.0: Evolution of console-sized gaming PC case

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I fixed this error in the manual to make sure we don't have any more confusion on this subject of M3.5 vs 6-32.

Note that whether the screws are actually 6 mm long or they are 6.35 mm (1/4") and actually 30 mm or 29.5 mm or 24.5 mm etc, depends on whether the AIO manufacturer makes that length imperial or metric, and on the thickness of fan included.

We won't be putting extra text in the manual to explain the possible minor length difference. I assume if you guys got here for Sentry and still want to make an AIO build after the huge red warning on top of page 8, you will figure it out :p

MartinE

Chassis Packer
Dec 27, 2018
The one of the biggest advantages of this case is that, we are using galvanized steel, so if you damage the paint, you can just buy some aircraft paint remover, remove the paint, and paint your case again.

Why isn't this in the manual. I always read the manual before I buy expensive things, to make sure that nothing is hidden in the fine print.

I disagree about repainting. It is an enthusiast thing for showbuilds, no ordinary person repaints their appliances.

I would rather know if the steel is ferromagnetic, so that I can mount the case to something with rare earth magnets, or cover it with fridge magnets.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
What is the problem with M3.5 machine screws? They are common as muck in the UK, Screwfix sell them, I can buy them on a Sunday morning. These are standard electricians screws, so if I was fitting a electrical socket I’d have some to hand.

You might have to cut them to size because they are common for fitting patressess so they can be 40mm long- common length.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
. The one of the biggest advantages of this case is that, we are using galvanized steel, so if you damage the paint, you can just buy some aircraft paint remover, remove the paint, and paint your case again. If Sentry would be made of anodized aluminium, then this could be a problem, but we wanted our case to be future-proof, so if you will scratch the surface by the screws, or you will want to change the colour or just renew it, then you can do it. In that matter, the decision which screws you will want to use to attach your devices inside your case is Your choice.

Surely if the case was made of anodised aluminium the problem would not be repainting it but painting it in the first place- since it doesn’t take paint well? Really anodised aluminium is the finished surface, which is why it comes in all those fancy colours? Galvanised steel is ugly (unless you want that look), utilitarian at best, but if you scratch through the galvanised layer then the value of the galvanised finish is diminished anyway, just like anodised aluminium except anodisation also hardens the aluminium so makes it more resitent to scratching?

I don’t know what aircraft cleaner is, or where I might purchases it, not owning an aircraft I suppose. But are you saying that such a cleaner strips the anodised finish from aluminium? If so that is quite a valuable property to have.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Why isn't this in the manual. I always read the manual before I buy expensive things, to make sure that nothing is hidden in the fine print.

The manual is mostly for the sake of instructing you how to assemble the system inside the case. We could add more info to it, but the more pages manual has, the more likely people won't care about using it, they'll just want to wing it and do it on their own. But we don't want them to because Sentry is really complex and there are a lot of tight fits that people need to know how to assemble.

I disagree about repainting. It is an enthusiast thing for showbuilds, no ordinary person repaints their appliances.

Zombi was talking about damaging the powder coating. If you scratch/damage other common cases, especially plastic or aluminium piece, usually you can't do anything about it. The most you can do is order specific part in pristine condition to replace it.

If you end up scratching it up, wearing it off because you moved the case a lot (there's a mobility factor to our case as well), it's better that you have an option of refreshing it's look, rather than having to scrap it and buy a new one (like ordinary nowadays person would do). But that's like years since you start using it, and we want to let you know that you'll have that option.

Powder coating is still technically plastic, so there's always something harder that can leave its mark on it, like a screw (especially if you are tightening it onto the case), headphones that you can hang on the case may have some metal accents which could scratch the surface, if you're not careful when hanging them/picking them up, there might be some metal piece on the table when you're unpacking the case if you're moving around with it etc.

Obviously if the case was made from anodized aluminium, then it would be less prone to scratches, you'd need a harder force to visibly scratch it, but as we explained few times already, we need to use steel because there's a lot of welding, which would require twice as thick aluminium panels to not leave marks outside. And we're welding it so we won't have rivets or screws or any other fasteners being visible outside the case in random places.

I would rather know if the steel is ferromagnetic, so that I can mount the case to something with rare earth magnets, or cover it with fridge magnets.

You realise that your build will be something like 6 or 7 Kg? How strong magnet would you need to hold that? RIP hard drives and other sensitive electronics inside...

As for fridge magnets - yeah, you can do that, but bare in mind to not place them where your drives are.

I don’t know what aircraft cleaner is, or where I might purchases it, not owning an aircraft I suppose. But are you saying that such a cleaner strips the anodised finish from aluminium? If so that is quite a valuable property to have.

Aircraft paint remover, not aircraft cleaner:

It's for removing paint/powder coating, not for cleaning anodized aluminium (at least I don't think it would do any good there).
There are a lot of similar paint remover products.

The steel is galvinized under the powder coating so if you scratch it, it wont start rusting under the paint, making it to fall off in huge portions.

Reactions: LeandroB

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
I suppose my point was there was a bit of salesmanship as regards the 'not anodised' comment. As you say, if it was anodised aluminium it would offer up all sorts of extra challenges, but it wouldn't be worse, just a different build challenge. I'm not critical of your choice, I like the case.

That paint stripper looks interesting.

Reactions: SaperPL

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
As you say, if it was anodised aluminium it would offer up all sorts of extra challenges, but it wouldn't be worse, just a different build challenge.

Well, it might be worse technically in terms of case volume, just by adding 2 mm of thickness in each dimensions, but that's minor issue (volume would go up by 0.3~0.5 L, IF there weren't additional challenges inside because of that thickness).

Question is whether anodizing the aluminium would hide the spot welding marks even when we use flat electrodes on the outside like we are using now to have even surface.

Without the paint, the weld points on steel are still visible. For anodized aluminium it could mean something like going through each case and scrapping those cases where welder held the button for too long and anodizing couldn't hide the weld marking.

All those premium aluminium cases are made in a way that frame is hidden inside and either riveted or it's welded steel. The outside is clean but this approach takes some additional space in contrast to where we are saving space for Sentry to be this small.

Exception here is that side panels in cases like A4-SFX have welded studs for clips (unless I'm wrong and those are pressed in and somehow brushed along whole surface to hide it), and those are made really well, but you have to remember that the panels are mostly flat and those spots are easily accessible, and on top of that Lian Li has years of practice with their studs on panels. And even with that, when dan got first photos of the first prototype, those spots for them were visible from the outside of panels.

We have few tight spots where it would be really hard to maintain completely clean weld spot on the outside unless we used really thick aluminium sheets.

Last edited:

MartinE

Chassis Packer
Dec 27, 2018
You realise that your build will be something like 6 or 7 Kg? How strong magnet would you need to hold that? RIP hard drives and other sensitive electronics inside...

I was thinking of a magnetic knife rack, but my knives are all .25 kg or lighter.

I hadn't considered interference from external magnets in harddrives. Each harddisk has a rare earth magnet and a voice coil to move the arm. A strong external magetic field will interfere with this electromagnetic arm actuator. There are even youtube videos.

MartinE

Chassis Packer
Dec 27, 2018
Question is whether anodizing the aluminium would hide the spot welding marks even when we use flat electrodes on the outside like we are using now to have even surface.

Without the paint, the weld points on steel are still visible. For anodized aluminium it could mean something like going through each case and scrapping those cases where welder held the button for too long and anodizing couldn't hide the weld marking.

On my old Lian Li PC-Q07 black aluminium Mini-ITX PC case the thin M3 standoffs on the side panels were invisible on the brushed anodized outside, but messy on the inside, so i think that they maybe friction welded them, but i don't know what to look for.

PS
I had no idea that it was that difficult to manufacture. I only looked for a Mini-ITX case with 5.25" drive bay and ATX PSU, and the case was affordable. It appeared flimsy and cheap with thin aluminium panels and easily lost tiny countersunk M3 screws. There was no interior structure, just the drive bay, and it was very flimsy without the side panels. I had to bend it back into shape after finishing my DOS mini-itx build.

Last edited:

giraffesinmybalcony

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 15, 2018
I was thinking of a magnetic knife rack, but my knives are all .25 kg or lighter.

I hadn't considered interference from external magnets in harddrives. Each harddisk has a rare earth magnet and a voice coil to move the arm. A strong external magetic field will interfere with this electromagnetic arm actuator. There are even youtube videos.
please tell me this is a joke lmao

Reactions: Choidebu and Solo

Nomo

Trash Compacter
Jul 5, 2018
Hey guys, I'm looking for a PSU between Corsair SF600 and SilverStone, which do you recommend?

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Hey guys, I'm looking for a PSU between Corsair SF600 and SilverStone, which do you recommend?

vs which silverstone? SX650-G?

In general we've had issues with modular ribbon cables, so we wouldn't recommend that unless it's a must for you to have such high-end PSU, but you won't bother getting custom cables. They are longer, which except for the CPU power is pretty annoying to handle in Sentry if you have those stiff ribbons.

I'm running 180W GTX 1080 Mini + switching between ryzen 1700/2600X/2700X and doing some OC and I've got basic silverstone 450W 92mm fan unit. Non - modular with normal/non-ribbon cables. Works without problems, I believe for more than a year. I think that if you don't use a super power hungry card like vega 64 or 2080TI ,OR you want absolute silence on the PSU due to passive work thanks to the headroom, then using a fully modular PSU might be unnecessary mess to handle.

Reactions: Nomo

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Kiedy można spodziewać sie sprzedaży na Polske?? I jaka cena Obudowy bedzie ??:)

Sprzedaż na Polskę będzie wtedy kiedy na cały świat poprzez drugą kampanię (staramy się dograć wszystko tak żeby mieć gotowe recenzje i start kampanii pod koniec pierwszego kwartału). Jak do tej pory zainteresowanie w Polsce było niewielkie i tylko kilka procent obudów pierwszej generacji trafiła do klientów w kraju. Nie planujemy jakiegoś osobnego kanału sprzedaży poza kampanią (i przed zakończeniem dostaw z kampani). Jak na nasz lokalny rynek, jest to wciąż bardzo niszowy i drogi produkt, którego większość ludzi po prostu nie rozumie.

Co do ceny, to jeszcze finalnie nie jest ustalona, ale bardzo prawdopodobne że cena będzie blisko tej, którą mieliśmy przy sprzedaży przez Paypala na początku zeszłego roku, czyli 230 euro (co odpowiada docelowym 235$ z momentu startu pierwszej kampanii), może niewiele mniej ze względu na znacznie większą ilość zamówień w kampanii. Trzymanie się dolara w tej chwili jest ryzykowne, a do tego uruchamianie kampanii w momencie brexitu też może nam nie wyjść na dobre. Musimy też zaktualizować wszelkie wyceny dla komponentów które będą zamawiane u dostawców dla ilości hurtowych przy produkcji.

BTW, let's see how many of you will decipher this (without google translate) ^_^

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
With the new zen 2 CPUs arriving this summer, your case hopefully coinciding with that, and RAM coming back to reasonable price levels, the timing on building my new PC was feeling pretty good. I really hope GBP doesn't nosedive, or I have to pay import duty on the sentry, or worse: have it get stuck on a ferry/in a lorry somewhere along the English channel for months...

Nomo

Trash Compacter
Jul 5, 2018
I have a problem, choosing between Zotac 1080 Ti mini Lossing my 3Tb HDD and buy a 500GB 2.5'' 7200rpm OR Buy a Gigabyte 1080 mini.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I have a problem, choosing between Zotac 1080 Ti mini Lossing my 3Tb HDD and buy a 500GB 2.5'' 7200rpm OR Buy a Gigabyte 1080 mini.

Maybe a 2070 Mini from Gigabyte?

While there's not much now from RTX, I think when DLSS kicks-in in games like battlefield, it might be another story. It would also be cool if we could get it working for 1080p as well, but that requires training the neural network for this specific config If I'm not wrong.

Nomo

Trash Compacter
Jul 5, 2018
Maybe a 2070 Mini from Gigabyte?

While there's not much now from RTX, I think when DLSS kicks-in in games like battlefield, it might be another story. It would also be cool if we could get it working for 1080p as well, but that requires training the neural network for this specific config If I'm not wrong.

I'm waiting for Gigabyte's 2070 mini, but is not available jet, no date launch, no price, nothing... :c

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Last update was on 2nd of December where you talked about getting a sample batch.

Do you have any updates for us, what's the current status and what's next?

Thank you.

We didn't do a proper update, because some of the parts we ordered are still in transit. After this weekend we should get the rest of them and within next 2 weeks we should be ready to send first Sentry 2.0 samples to the reviewers. Our current plan is to organize another, bigger campaign at the end of February, but the end of March is probably more real (if there won't be more delays in parts delivery). When we will get all the parts we need, then we will make a bigger update with photos. I hope it will be in a few days. We already see the finish line, so everything gets real :)

Last edited: