SFF.Network Scythe Updates a Legend - the Big Shuriken 3 CPU Cooler Launched

Comment:
The Scythe Big Shuriken 2B has been a highly recommended CPU cooler for those seeking high performance CPU cooling in a SFF rig for some time. As time went on though, new coolers dominated the market, leaving the Big Shuriken to nostalgia status in many use cases.

Scythe has been working on an update behind the scenes, and a long awaited one. Finally, AM4 support, a redesigned fan (hopefully with a better motor design.. no more melty motors). However, the upgrades have come at a cost - the former model measured in at 58 mm tall, and the revision 3 is a "hefty" 69 mm tall with the 15mm thick fan. Oof - that 11 mm is a lot. Time will tell if this sacrifice is worth it - we await reviews.

Read the press release here.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I literally have scars from their Ninja heatsink.

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
Anyone by crazy chance made a block like reference model to see if it will interfere with vrm heatsinks or ram (that are bare sticks)
looking at one of these but the offset design will mess up my exhaust fan setup and if i can spin it around so the notch is over the ram I'm worried it wont have clearance.
using gskills nt series bare ram sticks currently as other sticks seamed huge with all the stuff on them.

if someone could toss together a printable simple dummy that has a way to put your choice of fan that be awesome.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Anyone by crazy chance made a block like reference model to see if it will interfere with vrm heatsinks or ram (that are bare sticks)
looking at one of these but the offset design will mess up my exhaust fan setup and if i can spin it around so the notch is over the ram I'm worried it wont have clearance.
using gskills nt series bare ram sticks currently as other sticks seamed huge with all the stuff on them.

if someone could toss together a printable simple dummy that has a way to put your choice of fan that be awesome.

If I had one to measure I could make an accurate model, but I don't.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
It'd be great if more companies dropped sketchup/Cad/whatever files along with their products.
I used vender provided Vizio templates heavily when I built rack diagrams, floor layouts, etc. for a previous gig and getting ahold of Cisco/APC/etc. template dumps were super easy.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
It'd be great if more companies dropped sketchup/Cad/whatever files along with their products.
I used vender provided Vizio templates heavily when I built rack diagrams, floor layouts, etc. for a previous gig and getting ahold of Cisco/APC/etc. template dumps were super easy.

I've had plenty of luck with industrial things, but never consumer.