Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I don't think I have ever ordered a stock length cable. I don't know about custom lengths like 1.73", but 5 CM shouldn't be a problem...

As a side note, I know where you can get a riser that is exactly 5CM. ;)

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
This one is pretty close to 5cm and appears to be shielded. You can also try this one, it has a more discrete PCB on the GPU side but doesn't seem to be shielded.

I don't think I have ever ordered a stock length cable. I don't know about custom lengths like 1.73", but 5 CM shouldn't be a problem...

As a side note, I know where you can get a riser that is exactly 5CM. ;)

Sintech have a 5cm riser that looks pretty close to what Josh posted, I ordered one form here.

Thank you for all the tips! :D

The Sintech one looks perfect for me!

On a sidenote, I got new fans today, 3x Noctua Redux 92mm PWM. Will fit the theme of the build very well and the fans are just awesome.

One will be for intake in the front, through the radiator, one for the NHL9i...

...and last one for blowing out air on the side.

I think these fans fits perfect in this build, grey and green look nice. What do you think?

With kind regards,
Johan Nyman

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Fans really do suit the build. Would the redux, being an older design, have enough static pressure for the rad and cpu cooler?

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Hola!

I need your help, I got a GTX 1050ti from Gigabyte, one without 6pin. I still have the G3258, but I am wondering if there is a better choice for CPU for this setup. Everything will be powered by a 150W Pico-PSU.

Any advice?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I would go for an i5, it's a great middle of the pack processor and available relatively cheaply used now that it's an old socket.

yardsail

Case Bender
Nov 23, 2016

Hello!

I have started a new project on the side of my other build, CURV3D. The idea to this build started when I was planning another future build. This other build I want to make in the future are also a scratchbuild and a bit complicated, so I wanted to get more experience on working with aluminium, so whats better then building a simpler case?

I got some hardware cheap secondhand, a Intel Pentium G3258 and a EVGA GTX 750ti which will be installed on a MSI Z87i and then be powered by a 150W Pico-PSU.

It will be made out of 2mm aluminium with simple handtools (jigsaw, drill, dremel and handfiles). I did not want to make a regular cube-looking case so I will go for a angled roof and graphics card.

I never really work with CAD, I mostly just use a pen and paper and do some sketches and then work from that. So here was the first quick sketch I did.

The hardware that will go into this build is this:

Mobo: MSI Z87i
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti SC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB DDR3
SSD: Corsair Force LX 240GB
PSU: Streacom Nano-PSU 150W
Cooler: Noctua NHL9i
Rad: Magicool 92mm radiator
Pump/res: Alphacool DC-LT combo
GPU-block: EKWB FC750 block

I hope you will stay and see the progress. :)

Best regards,
Johan Nyman

How do you like that Alphacool DC-LT combo? Looks nice and small for sff.

I've been eyeing water cooling for awhile but am concerned about pump noise at idle. How is the pump noise with this one?

Are you going to vibration isolate the pump-res?

Reactions: ricochet

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
How do you like that Alphacool DC-LT combo? Looks nice and small for sff.

I've been eyeing water cooling for awhile but am concerned about pump noise at idle. How is the pump noise with this one?

Are you going to vibration isolate the pump-res?

It is a interesting pump-combo, but if you have space I would go for another one, it is possible to get it to be quieter but it still makes some noise.

I am going to connect the pump via a fan controller, so I can control the pump how I like and I will also isolate vibration, when the loop is up and running I could try to make some kind of noise test for you. :)

Reactions: Soul_Est

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Oi!

Its been a while since I updated here. I have been very busy with other projects, work and family. But now I have been able to do some more work on this build, front panel is almost done, sleeving is almost done. The inside layout is planned.

But lets see some photos instead.

Drilled holes to mount the frontpanel to the bottom.

This is how the frontpanel will look like, whats left to do is to cut out the hole for the fan and the switches.

This is how the layout on the inside will be, I changed the position of the radiator and reservoir to get a tighter loop.

This pump/res fits pretty good like this with the 92mm radiator.

What is this then?

Bent plate...?

A quick and simple pumpmount, it will be screwed down to the bottom of the case with foam between.

This is a small 4-port fan-controller which will control the three fans and the pump.

Some sleeving done too!

Next thing on the list to do is to solder and sleeve cables for the switches, pump and the power for the SSD, cut out the hole for the 92mm fan in the front and then start to make the sidepanels. :)

See you next time!

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
I love this build! I'd recommend a powder coat on the metal as well, it would really neaten it up. Nice loop! Do you have a drain port?

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
So much win.

Thanks John! :)

Really like the idea of turning the knobs on that integrated fan controller. In a side note - saw this DIY powder coating video and thought of this build.

Thank you, I am actually thinking about brushing the aluminium or polish it. :)

Very neat indeed! Utterly amazing in fact! Luv it! Please keep us updated. Cheers

Thanks for the kind words! I will update you as soon as I get more job done. :)

I love this build! I'd recommend a powder coat on the metal as well, it would really neaten it up. Nice loop! Do you have a drain port?

Thank you, I will probably brush or polish the aluminium. About the drainport, I was thinking about making one, but I dont want to have it be visible and that made everything harder, at the same time the build is really small so flipping it around to fill or drain it will not be a big problem. :)

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Ohoi!

I got some time over to work a little bit more on the build, getting some more work done on the sleeving and cablemanagement as well as mounting the SSD and making a IO-cover.

Lets start with the SSD mount, I am using a 2.5" Corsair LE200, mounted it with screws from the bottom.

Most of the 2.5" drives only use 5V and GND from the SATA-power, so instead of soldering another cable to the Pico-PSU I will power the SSD from the internal USB-port.

I wanted to cover up the IO-part of the motherboard, so I cut out a small aluminium piece which I bent.

I marked out where to cut out holes for different components near the IO-port.

It ended up looking like this, later on I will paint this and other parts matt black. The case will be polished and I will add different matt black details.

Im using P-clips to hold down the cables as I want to plan out and get a cablemanagement as good as possible.

Next up is the sidepanels and the hole for the fan, Ill be back!

With kind regards,
Johan Nyman