S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

nix

Trash Compacter
Jan 5, 2017
Shout outs to all my Canadian brothers, my S4 mini arrived today. Ordered in April, arrived 8 days after I got the shipping notification. Had an extra $47 tax to pay. Picked it up from the post office, unboxed it on the spot, slid it in my backpack, and walked home. Perfect fit.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC , have you tried taking an HDPLEX 300w AC/DC out of its shell to see if it will fit sideways in the front of the S4 Mini? I'm wondering if maybe it might fit. Or is it still too wide?

What kind of madman do you think I am? This could kill you!!! Why would you even suggest such a thing on a public forum?

*puts on to do list*

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Too early to get excited about the Coffee Lake 8700/8700K? 200 series board compatibility could be an issue.... However..... 65w 8700 @ 4.3GHz on all cores, anyone? Ooooooh lordy..... or.... 8700K with 1080Ti Mini in the S4?

Reactions: DocH and Biowarejak

EM98xXkillerXx

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2016
Hey, I was wondering, does anyone want me to test an undervolted fanless c7/1700 with it installed in an s4? I think it may be able to handle going fanless, though it will be on the hotter side.

Reactions: ECHO

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hey, I was wondering, does anyone want me to test an undervolted fanless c7/1700 with it installed in an s4? I think it may be able to handle going fanless, though it will be on the hotter side.
I'm sure there's value in gathering the data :)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@Josh | NFC , have you tried taking an HDPLEX 300w AC/DC out of its shell to see if it will fit sideways in the front of the S4 Mini? I'm wondering if maybe it might fit. Or is it still too wide?
Okay... you mean on the side where there's no vents? by where most CPU-8-pin ports reside? HMMMM... This is an idea. Maybe sit a super small fan next to it, and MAYBE, just MAYBE it'll fit, and be able to replace all of our HUGE Dell 330-watt bricks?! (if the AC/DC has the shell off and has active cooling). And then all of us with Dell-330-watt bricks, can go... BRICKLESS!? NO WAY!!!????

@Josh | NFC have you or anyone been able to try this? I dont have the 300W AC/DC power brick to test it... :(

Good news though, I'll be doing the HDPLEX-300 DC-DC Epoxy trick to minimize coil whine, and I'll be posting videos of it before and after! :D

Reactions: Biowarejak and ECHO

Shaun

Chassis Packer
Apr 23, 2016
I've seen a couple users who have been fighting really high temperatures with the 7700K and the NHl9i. I really want to get to the bottom of this, as I have been nothing but impressed with it. I've experimented with delidding this CPU and comparing the two, but really I have found it to have excellent thermal management.

Could it be the motherboard they are using? From my experience, the Z270i Strix is one of the worst boards for the NH-L9i, due to the placements of the VRM heatsinks. It blocks airflow from one entire side of the L9i, which can easily add another 5-10 degrees. I would suggest foregoing the dual m.2 and use an Asrock Fatal1ty Z270 if you're planning to use the stock l9i. You even get a half bandwidth true thunderbolt port (if that's your thing) with the Asrock.

Anyway here's a pic for the fan boys - pick a side!

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
What kind of madman do you think I am? This could kill you!!! Why would you even suggest such a thing on a public forum?

*puts on to do list*
Sweet! So by the "side of the S4 Mini" do you guys mean in that kinda empty space on the bottom side near the power button (the side that has no vents) by the majority of CPU 8-pin connectors? Or another spot? I'm excited if this works, I might ACTUALLY go brickless if it's possible to actively cool it. Imagine, 7700k & 1080 Mini, BRICKLESS S4 Mini! :D

I posted a follow-up test report for the 1080 Ti Mini over here for anyone that's interested. Here's the important part:

The takeaway is that undervolting a GPU is more beneficial than swapping out fans, but the Noctua fans are really pleasing to the ear, if not the eye.
Okay this is amazing. I'm certainly going to have to undervolt my ZOTAC 1080 Mini now... I'd love a reduction in coil whine. I'll reply to your original post in the 1080 Mini thread so i can see what I can do to get the undervolted results you got.

Last edited:

r4sun

Cable Smoosher
Jun 23, 2017
Is there a tutorial on how to replace the Zotac 1080 fans with Noctua NF A9-14s? In order to keep them in place do you zip tie them to the heat pipes?

Thanks!

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
Hi guys! I just crammed my #300 with a bunch of new goodies, and boy is this case awesome. Only trouble i am having so far is that XMP timing on my Asus Strix 270i board keep causing lockups and refusal to boot until i pull the power cord. I am using some really nice g.skill Trident Z 3200mhz DDR4 ram, so it would be nice if it could be utilized. I know the Strix board is quite popular, so i am curious to know if any of you have had similar issues and if you were able to fix them?

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Hi guys! I just crammed my #300 with a bunch of new goodies, and boy is this case awesome. Only trouble i am having so far is that XMP timing on my Asus Strix 270i board keep causing lockups and refusal to boot until i pull the power cord. I am using some really nice g.skill Trident Z 3200mhz DDR4 ram, so it would be nice if it could be utilized. I know the Strix board is quite popular, so i am curious to know if any of you have had similar issues and if you were able to fix them?
the z270i STRIX board has issues with cold boots for me when my CPU was overclocked past 4.8 GHz. I dont know if that applies to overclocked RAM though, or if it's related to the RAM being overclocked?

If I were you id just set the RAM to the default XMP its rated at. My 7700k is stock at 4.5GHz and my DDR-4 4000 kit is stock and the 4000MHz XMP, and i have no cold boot issues. If I OC my CPU though, then I will have cold-boot issues. I think the cold-boot issues were related to not enough voltage being sent when your voltages are farther from stock, i dont remember exactly. just google "z270i strix cold-boot issue", you might find something.

Also make sure you update your z270i BIOS. :) Hope this helps.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017

iunno how serious is that (in terms of flat-out incompatible or feature incompatibility) but yeah
Intel almost never keeps a board layout more than two generations not sure why anyone would have thought they would change and keep coffee lake on the z series. I think they do this for the motherboard manufacturers as well since you have to purchase a new board layout instead of using your board for lets say 5+ years. There would almost be zero reason for me to upgrade my board if i could keep throwing new chips in. Also intel make more as well from it so its a win win for manufacturers but a loose for customers.