S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Sorry, I have a question. it might have been answered but will the 7mm frosted cover handle the 1070/1080 without cutting the shroud? vs the 5mm from Josh's video?
Yes, its in the descriptions on the 7mm acrylic bezel, it'll fit the 1070 and 1080 without mods. Here's an NFC S4 Mini Front-Bezel Quick-Tip post I made. it should help explain what GPUs fit with what front bezels.

@Josh | NFC if there's anything wrong with my quick-tip post linked above please let me know and I'll edit the post. :)

Last edited:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
A FAQs section would be really beneficial if that could be done. While it is important to note the bezel was designed to allow the 1070-1080 to fit you can fit the gpu with alternative solutions. Such as a fan shroud and use if a 120mm fan.

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
Last edited:

Dezz

Chassis Packer
Jun 13, 2017
I know Josh is probably busy and overwhelmed with emails so I'll ask here:

-How likely is it for the September preorders to actually ship in early September?
-The preorder is limited to 127 units, has that limit been reached yet? Not sure if the website will reflect the limit actually being hit.
-So HDPlex replaced their 300w DC-ATX psu with a 400w version. Will the Dell 330 watt AC-DC adapter be enough to actually provide 400 watts? Interestingly enough the 400w HDPlex psu has an option to bundle a 300w AC-DC adapter with it, I wonder if that will be enough to actually push 400 watts/

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017

-How likely is it for the September preorders to actually ship in early September?
-The preorder is limited to 127 units, has that limit been reached yet? Not sure if the website will reflect the limit actually being hit.
-So HDPlex replaced their 300w DC-ATX psu with a 400w version. Will the Dell 330 watt AC-DC adapter be enough to actually provide 400 watts? Interestingly enough the 400w HDPlex psu has an option to bundle a 300w AC-DC adapter with it, I wonder if that will be enough to actually push 400 watts/

From my knowledge historically he is usually on time unless some part of the manufacturing process delays which he will announce it to everyone why. It's not his first run so I am pretty sure that won't be a issue to much.

Correct he may not have hit it or he could be planning to produce more just in case. As long as your pruchased one I wouldn't worry. Most likely he will full fill it.

-Will the Dell 330 watt AC-DC adapter be enough to actually provide 400 watts?
The Dell brick only provides 330w. If a brick is rated for that wattage like 309w or 330w you should assume that is the limit either due to component or thermals. They are not rated for higher wattage.

Dezz

Chassis Packer
Jun 13, 2017
From my knowledge historically he is usually on time unless some part of the manufacturing process delays which he will announce it to everyone why. It's not his first run so I am pretty sure that won't be a issue to much.

Correct he may not have hit it or he could be planning to produce more just in case. As long as your pruchased one I wouldn't worry. Most likely he will full fill it.

-Will the Dell 330 watt AC-DC adapter be enough to actually provide 400 watts?
The Dell brick only provides 330w. If a brick is rated for that wattage like 309w or 330w you should assume that is the limit either due to component or thermals. They are not rated for higher wattage.

Thanks for the quick reply. What are my options for the HDPlex 400w then? Odd to offer a product that doesn't really have a good AC-DC adapter option. Or is the entire idea just to increase the power ceiling to avoid coil whine?

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply. What are my options for the HDPlex 400w then? Odd to offer a product that doesn't really have a good AC-DC adapter option. Or is the entire idea just to increase the power ceiling to avoid coil whine?
Avoid coil whine, potentially introduce a new product later down the line to power 400w. Plus it's the same price of the old model so why not :)

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017

You can get 400+ watts to the HDPlex 400w by using two cheap 240w Dell bricks together in parallel. I have done this and it works well enough, but the HDPlex guy recommends using this splitter to ensure the load is evenly balanced between the two adapters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TWE5U0/

Another option would be to enclose an ordinary bench power supply. For example, Meanwell makes a power supply that converts 120v AC from the wall into 600 watts DC at 24v (which can be adjusted down to 22v via poteniometer): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UY2QIZ0/

Of course, you'd want to put it in some kind of vented enclosure (like a polycarbonate project box) so you don't touch the 120v contacts and fry yourself. So don't do that unless you have experience with high voltage safety, not my fault if you burn your house down.

So yeah, there's a few ways to do it now, but I think they all involve soldering/wiring.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017

I just purchased one from his website yesterday and it let me pay for it. I assume if it was out of stock he wouldn't still be taking pre-orders for it.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
It has a stock number; this isn't a real pre order I'm just pre selling from what I ordered. I'm almost out though and once I'm out...that's it for a long while!

The September delivery preorders will most likely ship early. The June ones are going to be close but if people get really antsy I can ship r2 units if they don't care about them being all silver.

Hopefully all will be on time.

Reactions: Biowarejak

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
I LOVE YOU MAN! >_< notice me sempai, no homo tho

but in fairness I'm pretty sure you can still use the dell 330w on the new hdplex400,
you just can't push a 1080ti on it as it is really pushing the limits. there's even a combo on larry's site for a 300w box + 400w hdplex. I think the reason he made is to silence the coil whine issue and have a little headroom.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017

I forget who, but there's some users on this forum who make 400W AC-DC and DC-ATX power supplies. If you look around you should find them. I think they're the G-Unique folks but I could be mistaken.

Their 400W AC-DC is a modified Dell 330W AC-DC and I've heard folks say it gets warm but not hot, and that's already how I feel about my own Dell 330W AC-DC.

Reactions: Acalanata

Netzon

Caliper Novice
Netzon
Apr 26, 2017
I forget who, but there's some users on this forum who make 400W AC-DC and DC-ATX power supplies. If you look around you should find them. I think they're the G-Unique folks but I could be mistaken.

Their 400W AC-DC is a modified Dell 330W AC-DC and I've heard folks say it gets warm but not hot, and that's already how I feel about my own Dell 330W AC-DC.

You mean @guryhwa?

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
Yeah just do a search for Gury on the forums and you will find his post detailing what you can order directly through him. He already knew all the cable lengths needed for the s4 mini. I PMed him here but he does have a discord you can join to ask questions and there are customers there who can help answer some questions too.

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
Is it possible to use Gury's stuff with the new HDPlex 400W? I've already preordered the HDPlex 400W so I can't go with a complete solution if Gury offers one.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Is it possible to use Gury's stuff with the new HDPlex 400W? I've already preordered the HDPlex 400W so I can't go with a complete solution if Gury offers one.

Only if he can mod stuff for 19 volts, as that's what the HDPlex works with ideally (it support up to 24v). By default Gury's stuff is 12v, but I heard he might do 19v if you ask. I'm not certain though.

Reactions: lac29

Bruman

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
Finally got my pre-order in for an S4 Mini. I wanted an all black one, but only the silver/black version available. Looking forward to getting it.
Was also looking for an all black one. Will these be available in the future @Josh | NFC or are they going to be black/silver from now on (though I do seem to remember reading a couple months ago that having all black was a bit expensive and led to delays?)

Dezz

Chassis Packer
Jun 13, 2017
It has a stock number; this isn't a real pre order I'm just pre selling from what I ordered. I'm almost out though and once I'm out...that's it for a long while!

The September delivery preorders will most likely ship early. The June ones are going to be close but if people get really antsy I can ship r2 units if they don't care about them being all silver.

Hopefully all will be on time.

Just placed my preorder, cheers