S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hi all, I have a sneak preview of the new HDPlex 400w, and some exciting developments regarding the fight against coil whine.

I've had the both of the HDPlex 300w DC-DC models, and as you all may have seen I have driven my HDPlex 300w PSUs rather hard with overclocked 970's, 1080's, and even 1080ti's, often approaching the PSU peak ratings. When benchmarking and playing high-end games, I've had some noticeable coil whine. Sometimes it is from the cards themselves (Zotac mini cards seem particularly susceptible because they don't have room for many VRM phases etc.) and sometimes it is from the HDPlex. Not only do I push my system harder than most, but I leave my S4 Mini half-naked with the front of the case and bezel removed, plus it is only two feet from my head; nothing to muffle the noise.

Anyway, I discovered that all of the coil whine from the 300w HDPlex was being generated from the 12v inductors (the two exposed large copper coils). I went ahead and bought some JB Weld "ClearWeld" on Amazon for $3.50 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009EU5ZM0/?tag=theminutiae-20 , then mixed it up, applied a smear to both coils, and let it cure for 24 hours. I did a before/after sound recording and the results are substantial. The coil whine is only about half as loud with epoxy applied to the coils, making it much easier for fan/ambient noise to cover it up.

I relayed all this to Larry from HDPlex, and he was kind enough to send me a prototype of the new 400w DC-DC PSU, with the twin inductors seriously beefed up in size!

I'm happy to report that under the same conditions of my 300w PSU coil whine test, the 400w PSU is completely inaudible. I pushed the 1080ti up to a 120% power limit and 120Mhz core overclock, and still no noise while running Valley and Superposition benchmarks. I could only hear a faint buzz if I held the 400w PSU literally an inch from my ear. Any further away and the system/GPU fans would cover it up, whether under load or idling.

Here is a pic of the JBWeld, then the 300w PSU with that epoxy on both inductors. Finally, the prototype 400w PSU is shown at bottom. Note that the prototype came with no heatsinks, so I used some thermal tape and heatsinks I had laying around to build my own. At max system load with passive cooling, the heatsinks only got slightly warm to the touch with the ambient temperature at 71f:

Here is a screencap from one of my benchmarking runs with the new 400w PSU:

According to that I'm in the top 200 posted scores for that benchmark, and I'm just running a founders edition 1080ti with the stock cooler and a modest overclock. Kudos to HDPlex for what's shaping up to be the best DC-DC PSU yet!

Proving once again that you can fix anything with channel locks, JB Weld, and zipties. I've seen that lots of power supplies with gel inductors with that yellowish/amber stuff, but never gave it any thought. That's why this community is so cool...you might just be a hero soon, Zero.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@CubanLegend Since you have what I understand to be just about the pinnacle of S4 Mini builds, let me ask you. Could I expect from that build too be able to run any (or at least most) games in ultra settings @ 1440p/60+fps?
Hmmm... I can run everything at 1080p Ultra at 60fps, but for 1440p I might have to drop a setting or two (like drop AA to FXAA or SMAA) or a CPU intensive setting like world geometry or LOD down a notch or two, for 4K I usually am fine at 60 or near 60fps with everything one step below ultra (and dropping a few CPU intensive settings), but with all the nice extras turned on.

I'm glad you posted this. I actually placed an order for their entire stock of 23 units lol. Cancelled!
holy crap, dude. XD Dang!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
WHAAAAAT!? Interesting! So that's where you've been all this time,

@Zero You must've been so excited to share this wealth of info with us. Good on Larry from HDPLEX for sending you a prototype 400W unit! You are a brave man to test that on your HDPLEX-300 like that. How did you figure out that epoxy would be the fix, is the coil whine just a result of the inductors vibrating and creating that whine?

Would you recommend this for others to do as well?
Do you have any tips to make the results the best possible?
What are any possible negative risks/dangers or long term effects of this epoxy being applied to the HDPLEX-300?
Have you applied any Epoxy to your 1080mini to see if it would reduce coil whine coming from it? I'd like to also explore this option.

So, you said you ended up recording before and after noise levels for the 300. Did you also record noise levels for the 400 in the same test situation? Could you post those audio/video results please? I'm REALLY interested in doing this Epoxy thing to my HDPLEX-300 if it'll HALF my coil whine. :D

@hdplex To be perfectly honest, I only wanted the HDPLEX-400W to eliminate the coil whine I get from my 7700k/1080mini/HDPLEX-300 system. sorry Larry :( I guess I'll be buying that JB Weld "ClearWeld" instead of an HDPLEX-400, I'm not really looking to jump up from my 7700k/1080 anytime soon and the HDPLEX-300 is MORE than enough for my current system. The 1080 Ti mini is tempting for higher 4K FPs at Ultra settings but I'm satisfied right now at 4K with a few dropped settings to achieve 60fps.

Coil whine is almost always inductors vibrating from the magnetic fields... the inductor what the "coil" refers to. Since the 12v coils are the only ones that are exposed, and the smaller inductors on the HDPlex are 5v inductors for the SATA (which I don't use since I have an M.2 drive), I figured I'd use the epoxy to immobilize the coils.

"Would you recommend this for others to do as well?"

If you have a 300w unit, there isn't much harm in trying and it can produce great results. The epoxy is cheap and sets fast, but I recommend in leaving the PC off at least overnight so it can cure. The epoxy is non-conductive, though it does produce some heat while curing, not enough to affect the inductor coils, but I wouldn't apply it anywhere else.

"Do you have any tips to make the results the best possible?"

Make sure to clean the coils with rubbing alcohol on a cotton cloth, dry completely, then try your best to get it to "fill in" the gaps of the coils with the epoxy. ClearWeld is pretty thin, but there might be a more thin epoxy I don't know about which achieves better penetration. Though if it is too thin it could leak to the rest of the board. For now I think ClearWeld is the most appropriate unless someone experiments and finds something better.

"What are any possible negative risks/dangers or long term effects of this epoxy being applied to the HDPLEX-300?"

Theoretically, if the vibrating of the coils eventually caused the epoxy to break loose, the rattling of the coils/epoxy could be as loud or louder than before. However, I've used JBWeld to hold some steel locknuts on my car wheels (to bolt some custom hubcaps on) and they've held up at highway speeds for years now. It's serious stuff, so I doubt it would ever deteriorate, and even if it did you could simply apply more.

"Have you applied any Epoxy to your 1080mini to see if it would reduce coil whine coming from it? I'd like to also explore this option."

I returned the 1080mini and current am using a 1080ti Founders Edition. In either case, all of the GPU's I've ever seen use 100% enclosed inductors. If they used exposed inductors, I'm confident we could epoxy them the same way and eliminate coil whine. There's no way I'm up for taking a dremel to my 1080ti to expose the coils, though. Mabne if someone has an old/broken GPU we could experiment with unmasking the inductor coils, but I'm betting the risk of damage is really high. It seems like the best way to avoid coil whine on the GPU is to have a larger PCB with more phases, which presents a challenge to us SFF folk.

A petition to ask GPU board manufacturers to use more robust, exposed inductors like the HDPlex 400w would solve the issue as well, but good luck getting them to listen and spend a little extra...

"So, you said you ended up recording before and after noise levels for the 300. Did you also record noise levels for the 400 in the same test situation? Could you post those audio/video results please?"

I did not record the 400w because my phone honestly would not have picked up any noise over the rest of the system.

I am camera-shy but if you message me directly I'll send you the 300w before/after videos. I don't want to post my voice/bedroom in public :)

"To be perfectly honest, I only wanted the HDPLEX-400W to eliminate the coil whine I get from my 7700k/1080mini/HDPLEX-300system."

To be clear, my 300w had *loud* coil whine, as in audible from the next room over while benchmarking, and the epoxy took it down to quiet but audible from sitting distance. The 400w on the other hand is completely inaudible at sitting distance, even with an overclocked full load. There's no harm trying the epoxy on the 300w first, as you might get it to be as quiet or quieter than your 1080mini. Lastly, consider that the HDPlex 300w might be "straining" a bit to deliver power at full load, which may or may not contribute to the whine of the GPU. For example if the HDPlex is operating near peak and there are anomalies like voltage ripple, that could cause the inductors/VRMs on the GPU to work harder to compensate. The 400w PSU would spend more time below peak where it can operate more efficiently and accurately.

For anyone without a 300w HDPlex, getting the 400w is looking like a no-brainer; about the same price, about a centimeter longer but still fits the HDPlex fine, and this prototype seems to be handling my overclocked 1080ti while barely heating up and keeping dead silent.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
@CubanLegend Since you have what I understand to be just about the pinnacle of S4 Mini builds, let me ask you. Could I expect from that build too be able to run any (or at least most) games in ultra settings @ 1440p/60+fps?
I have an itx with a 6700k and gtx 1080 reference. My monitor is an x34 and I get average framerates in overwatch around 80-90. It does dip below 60. Again it depends on your monitor highly as ultrawide take much more power to keep higher rates.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
I have an itx with a 6700k and gtx 1080 reference. My monitor is an x34 and I get average framerates in overwatch around 80-90. It does dip below 60. Again it depends on your monitor highly as ultrawide take much more power to keep higher rates.

This sounds weird to me because (A) Overwatch will run at super high framerates on a potato and (2) Overwatch doesn't really support 21:9, just a weird mode where it crops the top/bottom of the screen to keep the FOV the same as normal 16:9 1440p. What are your graphics levels and resolution set to exactly?

MPower, ultra settings can be wildly different between games. With things like supersampling or multi-pass anti-aliasing, you can get situations where even SLI Titan Xp will not run them at 1440p60. The better answer is not to go in expecting to just crank every slider to the max.

Your best bet is to look at the games you want to play and see how they actually perform in YouTube videos with a GTX 1080 at 1440p. Look at the maximum FPS, and pay attention to the minimum FPS and frame times as those are even more important to the experience.

DigitalFoundry in particular does the best job with these comparison videos:
Remember as well that waiting another month or so for something like a GTX 1080ti Mini and 400w HDPlex is going to give you about 30% higher FPS in most cases while still being a good price/performance curve.

Last edited:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
This sounds weird to me because (A) Overwatch will run at super high framerates on a potato and (2) Overwatch doesn't really support 21:9, just a weird mode where it crops the top/bottom of the screen to keep the FOV the same as normal 16:9 1440p. What are your graphics levels and resolution set to exactly?

MPower, ultra settings can be wildly different between games. With things like supersampling or multi-pass anti-aliasing, you can get situations where even SLI Titan Xp will not run them at 1440p60. The better answer is not to go in expecting to just crank every slider to the max.

Your best bet is to look at the games you want to play and see how they actually perform in YouTube videos with a GTX 1080 at 1440p. Look at the maximum FPS, and pay attention to the minimum FPS and frame times as those are even more important to the experience.

DigitalFoundry in particular does the best job with these comparison videos:
Remember as well that waiting another month or so for something like a GTX 1080ti Mini and 400w HDPlex is going to give you about 30% higher FPS in most cases while still being a good price/performance curve.
The graphic setting is defaulted to what nvidia experience has. I believe it is ultra on everything. I know you can make some changes to like fogging and gain some frame rates, but i don't have much time to play so i don't really fiddle with the settings. Even though it only plays in the 16:9 aspect you still need gpu power to upload the rest of the monitor with pixels. I had a dell s2716 and was getting like in the 110 range if i remember correctly maybe more.

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
@Zero It's funny you should mention that, I am in the queue for the September shipment of S4 Mini's, and therefore have some time to consider my final configuration. I actually do plan to go with the HD-Plex 400W and a Zotac 1080Ti. Hopefully it goes smooth as butter but I understand it may take some doing to get that graphical power into the S4 Mini chassis, so...

Reactions: CubanLegend

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
Curious, Josh mentioned custom colors will pop up as an option closer to ship date. Do we get an email about this to jump on these?

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Proving once again that you can fix anything with channel locks, JB Weld, and zipties. I've seen that lots of power supplies with gel inductors with that yellowish/amber stuff, but never gave it any thought. That's why this community is so cool...you might just be a hero soon, Zero.

Josh, should we expect 2d bezels to ship only with s4 minis or can we order some by their own now? Wanna buy one to finish my s4 lol

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Curious, Josh mentioned custom colors will pop up as an option closer to ship date. Do we get an email about this to jump on these?

I'm having issues with these. There won't be an email I don't think, I don't know how to handle that. If I had a star marked to your name or said otherwise then yes, but this situation is a mess right now.

Josh, should we expect 2d bezels to ship only with s4 minis or can we order some by their own now? Wanna buy one to finish my s4 lol

Great question! In theory you should be able to order them now separate from your MINI, but I am having a really hard time figuring out if you are ordering for a pre-order MINI or an already shipped MINI. 75% + of my R3 customers placed multiple orders. Most of those placed a separate order for every item. So I have been trying to figure out what goes where, combine items, and refund shipping and it has been alot of work and customers like you have really suffered for it. I am really sorry and I apologize.

I have like a week left of sorting it out, but if you order an accessory and want it shipped ASAP the best way is to email me.

That being said, I need to make more bezels, and I have improved them again so I am waiting on the new materials...so it would be a little while still before they ship.

Peace and thank you for your patience.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
I'm having issues with these. There won't be an email I don't think, I don't know how to handle that. If I had a star marked to your name or said otherwise then yes, but this situation is a mess right now.

Great question! In theory you should be able to order them now separate from your MINI, but I am having a really hard time figuring out if you are ordering for a pre-order MINI or an already shipped MINI. 75% + of my R3 customers placed multiple orders. Most of those placed a separate order for every item. So I have been trying to figure out what goes where, combine items, and refund shipping and it has been alot of work and customers like you have really suffered for it. I am really sorry and I apologize.

I have like a week left of sorting it out, but if you order an accessory and want it shipped ASAP the best way is to email me.

That being said, I need to make more bezels, and I have improved them again so I am waiting on the new materials...so it would be a little while still before they ship.

I appreciate the quick and in-depth response. I emailed you a couple of days ago but then decided to try here since you might not have time to check those :p

That being said, I really dont mind waiting. I gotta wait for my HDPlex 400 too so Im alright. Everything good needs time!

Edit: I already got my mini in january. Just recently switched to a 1070 so now Im needing only the bezel and the plate. Sorry if I might have caused confusion.

Last edited:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017

Your a nice guy for doing all that Josh. But this is why most places don't bundle and refund shipping after the order. It causes a hot mess. You do multiple order they will package them separately and ship them separately to save the hassle.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017

I did email about them on that final week of the July pre-order, I can shoot you a message here with my info if it's worth while to maybe get noted when a color option opens up. Whatever works for you but no stress, worst case I can find a local painter :)

I

Ionrent

I could have sworn there was a post in this thread detailing the absolute max cooler height clearance (maybe by @CubanLegend?) But I can't find it now. Any hints? Thanks!

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Mar 16, 2017
I want to say a Noctua L9i (23 mm without fan) + 25 mm thick fan will fit almost flushed (still a few mm of clearance) with the top panel ... so 48 mm max. Anyone?

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
I want to say a Noctua L9i (23 mm without fan) + 25 mm thick fan will fit almost flushed (still a few mm of clearance) with the top panel ... so 48 mm max. Anyone?
It presses against the panel, you'd want to sand down the fan's edges to avoid pushing on the panel slightly, I think 46-47 was maximum without touching.