S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

ryzen

Trash Compacter
Jun 7, 2017
Was also looking for an all black one. Will these be available in the future @Josh | NFC or are they going to be black/silver from now on (though I do seem to remember reading a couple months ago that having all black was a bit expensive and led to delays?)

I emailed Josh about it before. He said it going to be black/silver and if we wanted all black we can powdercoat at our local store.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
You should check out Plasti-Dip, with that you can spraypaint the black anodized case into white, and the paint is a rubberized durable coating that you can completely peel off if you ever want to.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000981AA2/

That stuff is magic in a can, just make sure to use a well ventalated area and be careful with the area around screw holes. The application of torque through the screw onto the painted surface can cause it to stretch. I usually try to cut around screw holes.

Reactions: br3nd0

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
You should check out Plasti-Dip, with that you can spraypaint the black anodized case into white, and the paint is a rubberized durable coating that you can completely peel off if you ever want to.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000981AA2/

That stuff is magic in a can, just make sure to use a well ventalated area and be careful with the area around screw holes. The application of torque through the screw onto the painted surface can cause it to stretch. I usually try to cut around screw holes.

Cheers lads!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I've plastidipped four MINIs and used the black stuff on lots of things. I wanted to love it but I think it really is designed to go over large painted surfaces, and the spay cans just suck really bad. I still have 75 dollars of product unused in my office. Here are my notes:

1. You will need two cans to do a MINI's side panels.

2. I don't recommend the BLAZE colors as they have big issues which are well documented.

3. Plastidip overspray is very messy too so be careful where you spray.

4. It is anything but easy to remove from a S4 MINI panel. Those vents...

5. It is very hard to get a nice application because of the vents on the MINI. You will get this horrible fuzz build-up you need to fix.

6. Do the inside of your panels first.

7. Light coats, but you need to build them up like crazy. It takes a long time to get a finished application of Plastidip.

8. The glossifier/sealer really changes the look and feel but does make it a bit more durable. They are expensive though.

9. Many people mod the spray tips because the ones Plastidip uses suck really really bad and stop working halfway through a can on some colors. Black works differently for some reason.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Compared to wrapping with vinyl, I prefer it. Applying a vinyl rap is tedious to me...

It depends on the wrap. The new wraps I have go on in 13 mins if you never have done it before. Just use the right material for the right job--I tried the sign sticker vinyl (fail) and dinoc (fail) but the new stuff works perfect!

Peace

Siba

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2017
Yeah, I'm with you on that set of points. You get what you pay for, but for seeing what something could look like in certain colors, it has its uses

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
It depends on the wrap. The new wraps I have go on in 13 mins if you never have done it before. Just use the right material for the right job--I tried the sign sticker vinyl (fail) and dinoc (fail) but the new stuff works perfect!

Peace
Awesome, what is the new stuff?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Yeah, I'm with you on that set of points. You get what you pay for, but for seeing what something could look like in certain colors, it has its uses

For sure! I'm not hating on it, but I just think it is not a magic bullet. I have been trying to find a way to let customers customize their MINIs as that is VERY important to me! Plastidip seemed like an awesome solution to push and experiment with, but after what I consider a good run I just can't recommend it to the average user. I mean, if someone wants to experiment I think that is AWESOME but when I recommend something it has to be somewhat easy to get a decent result you know?

Awesome, what is the new stuff?

The material is called Controltac by 3M. The wrap files took alot of work to get right, but I'm happy with the result! I will have a download link up on my website soon and you can either take the .psd to get your own made, or send it in via me to Buddha Brothers and get it printed with a super high resolution machine that produces superb results. The wraps in that link might not be "your thing" but they demo the print quality and application result.

Peace!