S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Does anyone know how to cut and crimp wires to exact length? Mine are always 1-3mm off. Id let cablemod do it but no one sells 2 inch precrimped cables :p

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Does anyone know how to cut and crimp wires to exact length? Mine are always 1-3mm off. Id let cablemod do it but no one sells 2 inch precrimped cables :p

Here's my process: First off I get one wire the correct length and use that as my standard, then I have a 24in level with a 'channel' or 'goove' down the center of one side that I lay the first wire in and mark (in pencil) how long the wire is (with one end flush with the end of the level) and then use that as my guide and cut (with flush cutters) all the rest of the wires that I need of that length making sure each time I lay the wire in that its lined up with my mark the same as all the others. Consistency is the key! (I started doing this since I found when I was just trying to hold the wires side by side that [at least for me] I'd still get variances in length.)

Once I have the wire cut I've also found that if I'm not careful when I'm crimping on the terminals that I'd get these 1-3mm variances like your talking about even if my wires were all the same length. So to solve this I make sure that all of my wires line up with the inmost end (from either end of the terminal) of the short wings and then carefully crimp them (if I go to fast it'll still create variances because off the speed, just needs to be deliberate instead of quick)

After that its just sleeving and installing as usual :)

Hopefully that made sense but if not or if you have any questions just let me know and I'm happy to help :)

Edit: Spelling and clarity as usual, also I'd be open to offering pre-crimped wires if people are interested.

Last edited:

erictc5924

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2017
I've climb 20+ page, can not found
Sorry if this was asked,
Hdplex 160w + Dell 330w
i5 4570
GTX 1060
1 x m.2
1 x sshd 5200 rpm
1 x ssd

Because 4570 is a 84tdp, not sure it will exceed 200w while gaming or not.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
when not under load my 2 HDDs (one is a 2tb Seagate Firecuda SSHD, the other a seagate 5tb 15mm HDD) are idle at 21c, they only go up to 30 and 35c respectively when playing the MOST GPU intensive games, as reported by HWinfo64. So as long as there's a decent airgap between the back of the GPU and the 2.5in drive, or at least the proper insulating tape, your temps should be fine. And the 15mm HDD may push the GPU down just slightly once you close up and screw down the sidepanel, but you'll be okay when it comes to room in the S4 Mini,

Ah, good to see some real-life data. Yeah the operating temperature of the drive is what matters, 30°C is perfectly fine. What thickness are your drives? 7mm or 9.5mm?

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
If anyone is looking for a black S4 mini and does not want to wait till September, Dreamcore.com.sg sells the case as well. The cost is the same as if you bought it from Josh direct. While I would prefer to order from Josh directly, waiting four months isn't the most appealing.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

The build featured: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/cLP323

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I've climb 20+ page, can not found
Sorry if this was asked,
Hdplex 160w + Dell 330w
i5 4570
GTX 1060
1 x m.2
1 x sshd 5200 rpm
1 x ssd

Because 4570 is a 84tdp, not sure it will exceed 200w while gaming or not.

I would get a stronger dc psu. The gtx 1060 has a tdp of 120w and your cpu is 84tdp. I would just wait for the hd plex 400w so you don't have to worry about it or when and if they restock the 300w. OR you could have gury make you one on this forum.

Ten minutes burn in. Hasn't moved from 75C since. Two 80mm fans is plenty to cool a GTX 1080 mini. I am quite happy with the results don't think I could have asked for much better considering. Thermal paste is grizzly kryonaut and the fans are around 50%. Producing around 30dba of noise. It is a low hum.

Now the itx30 couldn't last more than 30 seconds on prime95. I am going to do another run with the redux fan and with a scythe fan and see if I get similar results.

Last edited:

nix

Trash Compacter
Jan 5, 2017
Ten minutes burn in. Hasn't moved from 75C since. Two 80mm fans is plenty to cool a GTX 1080 mini. I am quite happy with the results don't think I could have asked for much better considering. Thermal paste is grizzly kryonaut and the fans are around 50%. Producing around 30dba of noise. It is a low hum.

Now the itx30 couldn't last more than 30 seconds on prime95. I am going to do another run with the redux fan and with a scythe fan and see if I get similar results.

I'm very interested in the itx30+redux result. Not just temps but noise also. How much clearance is there between the fan and the side panel in that configuration?

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I'm very interested in the itx30+redux result. Not just temps but noise also. How much clearance is there between the fan and the side panel in that configuration?
I think you miss read the post mate. That is the GTX 1080 mini with the custom fan shroud on furmark.

The itx30 was along stock with no adjustments. I will be doing another run with the redux and another with the stock cooler + scythe fan. I will post this results if they are worth while.

erictc5924

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2017
I would get a stronger dc psu. The gtx 1060 has a tdp of 120w and your cpu is 84tdp. I would just wait for the hd plex 400w so you don't have to worry about it or when and if they restock the 300w. OR you could have gury make you one on this forum.

I already got my case, the hdplex 300w is out of stock, I just buy the 160w with dell 330w then see how was it.

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
Update us with this one as well. I have seen the HDplex 160 works on 1060 but that is the rev3. this rev4. I just want to know if it is really stable running games on 5-7 hrs full load with 160+330w

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
If anyone is looking for a black S4 mini and does not want to wait till September, Dreamcore.com.sg sells the case as well. The cost is the same as if you bought it from Josh direct. While I would prefer to order from Josh directly, waiting four months isn't the most appealing.

Wait, what? I don't understand what's going on here. Is this the same case? Do they order it from Josh and then build to order for the customer? What the deal with Dreamcore?

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Wait, what? I don't understand what's going on here. Is this the same case? Do they order it from Josh and then build to order for the customer? What the deal with Dreamcore?
Page 135:

Dreamcore is Legit. It's not my business to talk about how many they purchased, but the owner is a great guy and an early supporter and I really appreciate him. He is a member on these forums too. I'm amazingly happy that people use the MINI to base their business around...that is like a dream come true.

They are also the official distributor for the chassis in Singapore, as an FYI for any Singapore..eans...out there.

Thanks for asking!!!!

So yea they kind of build to customer order.

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
Has anyone put feet on their s4 mini to lay it down and allow for good air suckage (lol) to the gpu? What are some good options for feet?

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
I'm on this forum too :)

Haven't posted much/at all yet but I'm working hard to get the website all functional and then I'll be able to be a bit more active as well as finally getting around to posting about some ideas for a SFF Watercooling case I have as well so yeah.

All in due time. I'd love to help anyone out with their custom cables needs and once I have the website finished up I'll be offering an introductory discount for SFF and Reddit users :)

Thanks for the reference @DocH! :)

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd update you all and let you know that I have my website up and running now :) It's not perfect and there are still things I need to add but the main parts are good to go. I'll also be posting in the Vendor Marketplace soon as well. PMs here or on Reddit are always welcome too if you'd prefer.

Here is the website if you want to check it out: http://avaentum.com/ and as promised the Discount code for SmallFormFactor.net users is "SFF10" for $10 off your order!

Thanks, and stay awesome everyone! :)

P.S. I am working on putting up a pre-configured product page for the S4 Mini cables as soon I can since I already know the lengths for the HDPlex 300w + ASUS Z170i/Z270i mobo combo. Other Motherboards might require length adjustments.