S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Tick.. tock..

YAY! :) Welcome to the ASUS STRIX z270i family! ::HUG:: AND you landed yourself a pair of those Trident-Z RGB's!? NIIICE If I had known about them I've have gone for them too... :( But the 4000 MHz kit was WAY too expensive for me, and I had bought my Corsair Vengeance LPX 4000MHz kit WAY TOO EARLY and couldn't return it within 30 days to newegg... :( Enjoy syncing those RAM modules up to ASUS AURA, bro! I read that they are compatible, and even though I turned off the RGB on my mobo and unplugged the white LED on my 16MM power switch i got from Josh (still use it cause it has a meatier and deeper CLICK than the non-LED power button from Josh, lol), and turned off the 1080mini's LED, to make my system invisible as it sits in the field of view of my Home Theater room... I DO LOVE (from time to time) turning on that RGB and seeing it slowly spin through the "Rainbow" of different RGB settings in the ASUS Aura menu. Please post pics or video of it all on inside your S4 when you get a chance, I'd love to see what it all looks like! :D

Also, are you getting an S4 Mini with the custom Acrylic Front bezel like I have? (clear or frosted?) If so, then your RGB lights from the z270i shine in a way that they bleed into the front bezel nicely & subtly. :)

Serious! I still need to find that case fan. Has anyone found been looking for any carrying bags for their systems (if they do plan to travel with it) and locate anything nice? Thinking leather, etc.
Dude, I heard of others like @Kmpkt who in his thread ordered a carrying case for his S4 so he could travel, it's more on the "luggage" side of things, so probably not your style.

But I'm a gamer and I carry my S4 around for various local couch co-op multiplayer games at buddy's houses, in a crappy old backpack with plenty of pockets for controllers. So i'm currently looking into gaming backpacks for either gaming laptops or backpack made for the OG XBOX ONE, as it's dimensions are kinda close to the S4 Mini (albeit a bit larger). These are the two I'm looking at: (I'm leaning towards buying the second one, as it's made for the XBONE and has dedicated controller pockets, although the ruggedness and weatherproofness of the first one has me seriously intrugied too.
Lenovo GX40L16533 Y Gaming Armored Backpack, Black
Vengeance Gaming Console Backpack for Xbox One and Accessories

EDIT: I'm also considering the CTA Digital Universal Gaming Backpack

Last edited:

nix

Trash Compacter
Jan 5, 2017
Anyone know how close to each other the July date for these cases and the release of intel coffee lake/300 series chipset are?

While I'm waiting for a case I'd like to start researching all the other parts to throw in it. But that could be a waste of time if there will be major new products out when the cases arrive.

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
I'm seeing these builds on S4 mini using G.Skill TridentZ rams. At 44mm, will they fit the s4 mini with enough room? 'Cause official max ram height is 40mm if i remember correctly.

Thanks!

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
So whats the deal with the HDPLEX S4 peeps? It has been sold out for what seems like forever now - is there a new revision under way?

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
@Creep
It's not particularly classy (at least not the camo version), but I've been using a Chrome Industries Niko and I really like it.
Plenty of room, two compartments, some pockets, everything I personally need in a bag. And it comes in my favorite camo, with a twist!
Here's a picture you may or may not have seen from my build thread:

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
In case anyone was wondering, a 1080ti Founders Edition seems to work great in the S4 Mini with the HDPlex 300w PSU (have to leave the bezel off the case to fit it, obviously), at least in my configuration where I run two 240w power bricks in parallel. The 330w brick "might" be able to do it too. I'm using an i7 7700k which is slightly undervolted so it caps out around 60w, and the 1080ti TDP is supposedly 250w max, so the HDPlex 300w (400w peak) seems OK with all this. I'll let people know if the power cuts out during my Mass Effect Andromeda marathon :)

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
In case anyone was wondering, a 1080ti Founders Edition seems to work great in the S4 Mini with the HDPlex 300w PSU (have to leave the bezel off the case to fit it, obviously), at least in my configuration where I run two 240w power bricks in parallel. The 330w brick "might" be able to do it too. I'm using an i7 7700k which is slightly undervolted so it caps out around 60w, and the 1080ti TDP is supposedly 250w max, so the HDPlex 300w (400w peak) seems OK with all this. I'll let people know if the power cuts out during my Mass Effect Andromeda marathon :)
what. How far is it undervolted? Is it underclocked as well or at the stock 4.5 GHz? How do you know its capping out at 60W?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Wondering if anyone here is running a heatsink/fan combo in the S4 mini that is taller than 40mm and how it performs both in terms of thermals and noise? I'd be particularly interested in the VC45 as well as the IS-40 and the L9i with a 25mm fan on it. Cheers.

Reactions: CubanLegend

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
IS-VC45 heat sink with NF-A9x14 on mine. It works quite well...much better than with the stock IS-VC45 fan, which is rather noisy.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey friends!

I just wanted to double check, will 9.5mm 2.5" disk drives fit in the S4 Mini with a video card in there?

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Wondering if anyone here is running a heatsink/fan combo in the S4 mini that is taller than 40mm and how it performs both in terms of thermals and noise? I'd be particularly interested in the VC45 as well as the IS-40 and the L9i with a 25mm fan on it. Cheers.
You already know I'm running the LP53 with the A9X14 on top. I previously had the NHL9i with the A9x14, and I even tested the scythe slim 12x120mm PWM on top of the NHL9i, also I tested the Zalman CMPS2X.

Performance and Noise scaled like this better to worse: LP53+A9x14 > NHL9i+A9x14 > NHL9i+Scythe > Zalman CNPS2X. Performance numbers for some of these setups are in post 18 and 22 of my build thread, take them with grain of salt though, as I'm not a professional heatsink reviewer and i didnt test each config for 30min to an hour, instead I only tested temps after 10 minutes of continuous load, or until i hit 99c CPU temp, whichever came first.